RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Restoration Plug-ins

Old 06-26-2008, 04:01 PM

Re: Restoration Plug-ins

MSU Image Restoration, Retouch Pilot and Wire Pilot are excellent restoration plugins worth having IMO.

The former is free for non-commercial use and the Pilots both have a free version you can do a lot with.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-26-2008, 06:51 PM

Many thanks to plugsnpixels, Kraellin and secretagents for your replies to my question.

To explain a little more the problems I am having, no matter how much I fiddle with the settings, when I find a combination that results in an acceptable result on the dust and scratches, I find ugly artifacts are created *elsewhere* in the image. They take the form of ugly crunchy areas around high-contrast edges. When I fiddle with the settings to make the *artifacts* acceptable, I find that the dust and scratches are still easily visible and therefore still need fixing.

I don't fully understand what some of the controls in D&S do but with fiddling I have found what seems to be the best settings. I am surprised there appears to be no documentation around that explains their use--specifically, how to obtain optimal results.

I have often wondered whether the PC and Mac versions of D&S are different under the hood, which might explain why the results reported on forums seem to be so positive (perhaps from PC users) while others might be experiencing similar problems to me (using Macs). Can Mac users comment on their experiences, please?

I guess Kraellin's suggestion might be the way to go. I will look around for a suitable example to post so others can see what I am talking about.

With respect to the alternative plugins suggested by secretagents, I have looked at the publishers' websites and (unless I have missed something) they appear to be PC only. I am using a G5 PPC Mac. So while they seem to be really useful tools for PC users, but unfortunately, they will not help me.

zeuster
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-26-2008, 06:54 PM
RetouchPRO LIVE Guest Artist
Patron

I would still try the erase-through-the-layer approach to bring back the areas you wish to keep untreated.

I'm surprised there is no other easy spotting app like this available! Far as I know...
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-26-2008, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeuster View Post
Many thanks to plugsnpixels, Kraellin and secretagents for your replies to my question.

To explain a little more the problems I am having, no matter how much I fiddle with the settings, when I find a combination that results in an acceptable result on the dust and scratches, I find ugly artifacts are created *elsewhere* in the image.
History Brush or layer/masking to keep only what you want to keep of the filter you applied to the entire image, no ?
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-26-2008, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeuster View Post
With respect to the alternative plugins suggested by secretagents, I have looked at the publishers' websites and (unless I have missed something) they appear to be PC only. I am using a G5 PPC Mac. So while they seem to be really useful tools for PC users, but unfortunately, they will not help me.
Sorry about that. I am only beginning to discover that there are people using Macs out there.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-26-2008, 07:19 PM
Patron

With Intel processors, Macs ARE PCs! That's how I use Windows-only plug-ins and apps.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-27-2008, 01:00 AM

plugsnpixels, secretagents and others

Thanks again. I see what you are saying--there are well established techniques for retaining the wanted effects of a process (D&S cleaning in this case) and discarding any unwanted effects.

I guess I had high expectations (unrealistic?) for D&S--I didn't expect to have to follow with another process to retain wanted effects while excluding unwanted effects.

As noted earlier, I am using a PPC G5 (ie it doesn,t have an Intel CPU), so I don't have a practical option for running Windows on my computer.

zeuster
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-27-2008, 09:49 PM

zeuster, try using D&S in stand-alone mode. there, you can mask areas so that something you dont want affected, wont be. you can also mask it in photoshop or other graphic editor using those programs built-in masking functions.

also, programs like paint shop pro have a filter that is similar to D&S. i'm sure photoshop has something also.

and just ask about the various controls in D&S. someone will have the answer.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-28-2008, 04:45 PM
Patron

I just spent some more time exploring this topic, trying PSP X1 (the Salt & Pepper filter results look just like Polaroid D&S, and highlights still need to be recovered), Photoshop (at anything above a radius of 1 its Dust & Scratches filter just blurs the image, bah), Alien Skin Image Doctor requires a bunch of selections before doing its business and ImageTrends' DustKleen (works best on solid-colored image areas of scanned photos).

I Googled Photoshop tutorials that dealt with dust removal and they describe the same process of erasing through layers or doing blending mode and manual brush tricks. The Healing brush and Clone Tool work of course but both are a very manual process – we want something as close to automatic as you can get.

So I'd say stick with Polaroid D&S and follow the recommendations above! It's free, quick, does a very good job and the layer trick enables you to erase through and recover highlight areas that got smoothed over.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-29-2008, 12:01 AM

plugs, try the 'automatic small scratch remover' in psp xi. it's even closer to D&S. it's in the 'adjust' menu items under 'add/remove noise'.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration