RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Newbies first attemp

Old 04-08-2008, 05:50 PM

Re: Newbies first attemp

Make a solid color adjustment layer by clicking the icon at the bottom of the layers palette. Pick a color close to what you want, at this point it doesn't have to be perfect. Click OK. Now you will only see the solid color (the mask is white), with that layer selected hit Ctrl I, this will reverse the mask to black and you will see the original image again. Change the blending mode of the layer to color and reduce the opacity to about 60%.

Now take a white brush and paint some of the area. If the color isn't right, double click the color layer and the palette will open. As you change the color you will see the change in your image on the area you painted with white.

Paint with white to reveal color and black to remove color.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled-1.jpg (81.6 KB, 26 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-09-2008, 01:04 AM

What Hawkeye60 said there will work great. I just color in with my brush o a new layer instead of creating a new layer filled with color, masking the color out and painting it back in. important thing is color blend mode on your layer. To get rid of the sharp edges when you have your brush tool selected, go to the brush tool bar and in the "brush" drop menue with the number by it take the hardness down to 5. That will make the edge of your brush soft.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-09-2008, 12:45 PM

Thanks Crazyfly1 and Hawkeye60, I really appreciate your help.

Link
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-09-2008, 06:32 PM

I have come to the end of my capabilities.
I need an artist/photoshop pro to continue.
A side by side can be seen at

http://linkous.homeip.net/family/index.html

If anyone is interested in helping me improve this, the psd file can be downloaded via ftp at linkous.homeip.net with a userid of retouch and password of retouch. It contains the desaturated and flaw fixed picture and all the area selections for each colored section.

I'm happy with what I did, being my first shot at editing photos, let alone restoring a photo, but I'm sure it could be taken to the next level.

Thanks to everyone running this site, great resource.

Link
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-10-2008, 09:27 PM

Could someone recommend a company to restore this picture?

Link
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-10-2008, 10:26 PM

jllinko, welcome to RetouchPRO.

i've been watching this thread a bit and i find one thing missing in all of this; you didnt restore before you colored. now, that's not absolutely essential in all cases, but on this image there are a great number of problems that need fixing and those shld be handled first. there may be a few pros who can fix and color, fix while they color, but i'm guessing those are a rare few. for the rest of us, it's better to fix, then color. you actually didnt do that badly on your first attempt up there in post #1, but it looks like you missed one very important step: FIND THE IMAGE.

by 'find the image', i mean simply that one has to bring out what is there before one begins to clone, alter, color, and so on. if you dont know what's there, how you gonna fix anything?

ok, there are two main problems here, the over-exposed whitish spot and all the trash/noise/specs and such around the image. the noise can wait. let's find the image and that means that whitish area on the gentleman's right (our left).

so, here's my steps to date:

1. hue/sat adjustment layer--- desaturate image completely.

2. copy merge and paste to new layer.

3. histogram adjustment on that new layer.

4. made a selection of the gentleman and area to his right (but not his head).

5. contrast/brightness adjustment layer to LOWER brightness and contrast. by lowering the contrast you reduce the brightness of the overall and blend the luminance more evenly.

6. fade correction on selection

7. clarify, full strength, on selection.

8. HMS on selection.

and that was it, other than having to resize after all that to be able to post here in the forums.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gpgmoriginal-2-k-1a-rp.jpg (182.0 KB, 47 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-10-2008, 10:32 PM

notice there is now more detail in his suit. notice also that some is completely lost and just wasnt there to begin with. that will have to be reconstructed. notice the ground where i didnt blend the selection with the normal image. that can be corrected later. the whole idea is to find what's there first and then fix what you find.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-10-2008, 10:43 PM

Kraellin,

I didnt think his right arm was correct, now I can see it, amazing. You give me hope I can better this picture. Thank you

Link
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-10-2008, 11:31 PM

you're welcome
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-20-2008, 03:27 PM

Kraellin,

Steps 1-3 seem to be the only steps needed for the entire picture except the gentleman and to his right, the faded area. I cant seem to get the highlghts in the womens cheeks, nose and forehead, without brightening the entire picture. I think you are using psp terms, so I'm not sure I'm doing it correctly.

Here is what I did.

1. Made a new hue/sat layer, slide sat slider all the way to the left.
2. select all, copy merged, paste
3. Then you say "histogram adjustment on that new layer", do you mean a levels adjustment? Thats what I did, adjusting each channel, sliding the left and right sliders to where graph begins to rise.

Her cheeks just dont have the highlights, much more even tone on her whole face. Any advise?

For the rest of the picture,

4. Understand.
5. Understand.
6. Fade, clarify, and HMS? Researched but having trouble finding for sure the photoshop equivalents. Could you help?

I really appreciate your assistance,

Link
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration