RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Genealogy Family Photo Ann & Roberta 1948

Old 04-21-2008, 07:47 PM

Genealogy Family Photo Ann & Roberta 1948

G'day.
Damaged Photo from Mothers estate. Required for all the Family photos in my Genealogy site. Now to see if I can get it to Retouch Restoration site.
I will be contacting those who have given me advice by Email as content will be of personal matters.
Thank you ALL, for your advice and Help
Graham Norris
Uroo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Thumbnail-Ann-&-Roberta--28.jpg (90.8 KB, 110 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-21-2008, 08:03 PM

Re: Genealogy Family Photo Ann & Roberta 1948

Hello Graham,
A nice photo and certainly worth restoring. It does not look like too difficult a job, especially since the original has good detail & clarity. However, there is a pattern to the paper that could possibly be removed during the scanning process. That would certainly help anyone that attempts to help you. Take a look at your scanner software options and see if there is a "descreening" option. If so, try scanning again in that mode to see if the pattern is removed.

Also, be sure to scan in color, and save either as a ".tif", or if a ".jpg" use the highest quality setting. Post the full size image on an external site for us to download and place that link in your message.

With that done, your friends here should be able to make quick work of this one.

Thanks !
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-21-2008, 09:42 PM

Hello Graham,

I do Photoshop for a hobby and gave your picture a try. Yes, there is a paper texture in the original so I ran it through an FFT filter to remove it. Gave the retouching a try for some practice. I may have missed a few places --hair bow, small girl, but it is improved.

dc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg two_sisters-web.jpg (189.1 KB, 94 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-21-2008, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyO View Post
Hello Graham,
A nice photo and certainly worth restoring. It does not look like too difficult a job, especially since the original has good detail & clarity. However, there is a pattern to the paper that could possibly be removed during the scanning process. That would certainly help anyone that attempts to help you. Take a look at your scanner software options and see if there is a "descreening" option. If so, try scanning again in that mode to see if the pattern is removed.

Also, be sure to scan in color, and save either as a ".tif", or if a ".jpg" use the highest quality setting. Post the full size image on an external site for us to download and place that link in your message.

With that done, your friends here should be able to make quick work of this one.

Thanks !
G'day TommyO, ref Ann & Roberta, was sent by email to me in TIF format.......Re " Post the full size image on an external site for us to download and place that link in your message "......... How do I do this?. sending Photo tells me no more than 100 kb........Is there a way to descreen Photo with a Photo Program?
Sorry to be a Pain but did tell you, or did I, At 74 I,m a slow learner with extremely short term memory,
Thanks Cobber
Graham
Uroo
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-21-2008, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCobb View Post
Hello Graham,

I do Photoshop for a hobby and gave your picture a try. Yes, there is a paper texture in the original so I ran it through an FFT filter to remove it. Gave the retouching a try for some practice. I may have missed a few places --hair bow, small girl, but it is improved.

dc
G'day DC I've been at this bloody Photo for weeks and Lord knows how many copies and attempts to improve I made and threw away. What you have done in such a short space of time is remarkable. Must look into this FFT filter thing.
Many thanks for help and advice
Graham
Uroo
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-22-2008, 04:00 AM

Try to remove paper pattern using Photoshop Median filter with value=1

hatsa
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-22-2008, 09:07 AM

G'day Hatsa, Thanks for the Information, am going to give it a try
Best Wishes
Graham
Uroo
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-22-2008, 03:45 PM

I worked on this one for the practice too. Used median filter for the texture but I don't like the way it destroyed some of the detail. Also did a lot of cloning, a little smudging and high pass sharpening. It might be a little too dark.
Nan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Girls.jpg (92.9 KB, 75 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-22-2008, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan View Post
I worked on this one for the practice too. Used median filter for the texture but I don't like the way it destroyed some of the detail. Also did a lot of cloning, a little smudging and high pass sharpening. It might be a little too dark.
Nan
G'day Nan thanks for your Restoration of my Sisters, both they and I appreciate it so much. Mum died earlier this year and it is from her album which only came to light a few weeks ago. ref. WWII I was born in 1934(Pre war) Bro Mac in 1942 Sis Anne in 1943 And Roberta (Berta) in 1948. So my Sis Berta a post war production, Bro Malcolm (Mac) and Anne War time production and I pre war and saw it all, well, most of it.
A bit of Trivia but not for me.
Now you see why the very few old Photos are so important to my Family.
No cameras till well after the War. Few photos pre and end of conflict
Thank you Very Much
Best Wishes
Graham Norris
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-22-2008, 10:55 PM

nice job, nan!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration