RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Can someone tell me how this is done?

Old 04-28-2008, 08:16 PM

Re: Can someone tell me how this is done?

I can't tell you step by step how to do it because it depends of the state of the image. However the tutorials section cover some of the basics:

Adding color to a black and white photo
Restoring an old photograph
Bringing Back the Detail of a Severely Faded...

Quote:
Originally Posted by beth313@verizon View Post
... can someone tell me step by step ...
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-28-2008, 10:45 PM

Beth, I doubt if anyone here could get the same result she did using the image given on her site. The image there is about 28k. In tech terms that means it almost doesn't exist. After you've been around here for a time you will see that if any extiensive work needs to be done on an image people will host the image outside of this site because of it' s 100k limit. So don't beat yourself up about this pic. Get some good scans of family pics and start there. I find it's alot easier when I love what I'm retouching.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-29-2008, 04:22 AM

Hi all,

Thanks for your help. I know, I know, there is no magic bullet. The gal that did the baby picture I wanted information on told me as much. She told me there were several steps.
I practiced for 5-7 hours at a shot trying to do this to no avail. It was driving me nuts. As one said, I had to research...study...read...about tools and techniques just to be able to incorporate. one single step. I know it takes major work. I just wanted to see if someone who was well versed in this could share what they knew to help me from banging my head against a wall and explain it to me in terms I could understand being that I am not a "pro". and a lot of what I am reading in doing research and tutorials have me confused.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-29-2008, 04:32 AM

Re: I need help before I go crazy please!

Afrazier, thank you so much for taking the time to write the steps down for me. I will follow each step by step and see what happens.

As for the rest,
Thank you for your replies. Yes, I know it takes a lot of research and studying on my part. I have dug in and have been doing so but have gotten more confused in some areas than others. It got extremely frustrating to me.

So, you think once I familiarize myself with CS3 that it's worth purchase in spite of the fact I already have Elements 6? I forget where forum it was in but someone advised not "wrapping my head around "CS3 given I already had Elements 6. But it seems to be the consensus that I learn first and then go a head with purchase.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to help me.
Beth
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-29-2008, 06:03 AM

Slow down. Go with Photoshop Elements. Learn how to use all the tools it has. 2-3 months. You can't follow along with tutorials if you don't know how to use the tools. People in forums can't be expected to type out pages of instructions on how to fix a particular image. That's what books and tutorials can lead you to.
Once you have learned how to use PSE, maybe you will want to move ahead and learn Photoshop.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-29-2008, 08:30 AM

Agreed. The step by step I gave you is only the first part in making the image workable, and it took me a long time to get to a point where I knew to do that. What those steps accomplish isn't what you saw on that website. You would still need to do quite a bit more. All that did was set the stage for a quality touch-up.
I'll say again that the image was low res., and there are other touch-ups the artist did to clean up the photograph ... but those other touch-ups are more difficult with a poor image.
To get what that person accomplished, you will need time, patience, a bit more knowledge, about ten more steps, and a high res. image.

BUT, the few steps I did give you are excellent starters for color management. Use them. Practice them. They go a long way towards creating great images.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-29-2008, 10:36 AM

The same question was being asked in both the Software and Photo Restoration forums, so I've merged the threads to keep replies all in one place.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-29-2008, 05:38 PM

Did this with Elements 3 with a layer mask tool add on.Not perfect,but with a little more work it shows what can be done with Elements.I use CS3 & Elements.Sometimes you do not need all the power of Photoshop.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg baby copy copy.jpg (78.2 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg baby.jpg (52.0 KB, 13 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-29-2008, 10:30 PM

Beth,
Just one more opinion : )
Yes, it takes time to learn. It is a complicated hobby, or profession. If you really enjoy it, then take the time... but pace yourself.

I started years ago at the beach and spent 2 hours a day studying a book and practicing the tutorials on a laptop using an older version of Photoshop. Once I felt it was worth it for me to upgrade, I did. You could spend many months learning under Elements, then upgrade when you know the time is right... you will want some of the additional features once your skill level gets to that point.

The photo's you're looking at on line are done by professionals. You will not get those results for a while, as in a year or two at least. However, if you will buy a book and go through the tutorials, you will have the opportunity to correct some images just like those on the site you referenced. I agree with Tom below. A very good book is Katrin Eismann's series. One is "Photoshop Restoration & Retouching, 3rd Edition" and the other is "Photoshop Masking & Compositing". You will need both. Both come with a link to her website where you can download all the images to work with. Believe me, there are more there than you can stand. You will be busy.

Good luck,
Tommy
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration