RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Removing Photo Wet-Development Problems

Old 05-17-2008, 10:32 PM

Re: Removing Photo Wet-Development Problems

ok, i just downloading your image. from what i can see, what you've got isnt light streaking, but actually selective fading in broad areas, which are leaving some of the original areas brighter. normally, i wouldnt bother to point this out, but it does make a difference here in how you handle it. the difference is, you dont treat the lighter areas. those are original and dont need any treatment. the darker, faded areas are what need treating.

i'd try some selections of the faded areas and then try a brightness/contrast adjustment layer on the selections and try to match the original. might try a curves too or even a levels. and if i remember how flora did this, when you make your selections, use a feathered edge to it so as to blend better into the unselected areas. you might also try making the selections not a pure opaque selection but rather a reduced opacity.

another method that might work would be a bit of dodge and burn on a 50% gray layer over the top of the rest of the image. just dodge the faded areas brighter.

there's probably some other ways that would work as well, but i'll leave you with that for now.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-30-2008, 11:41 PM

I think I've eliminated the streaks I complained about earlier. I really have a tough time working with layers. This 16-bit image with layers is now nearly 3GB in size, but my G5 Mac with 4GB RAM acts as if nothing is wrong, altho it takes about 20 seconds to save my work.

I'd appreciate your scrutinizing this image to see if I've removed the problems I had earlier. I did a series of layers made from selections on the background layer & worked on them. There is a problem: in the upper left sky there is a noticeable division between light & dark areas & for the life of me, using healing brush, clone tool, and copy & paste, I can't get rid of that division. This is a problem for me in other images: blending a light & dark area seamlessly, esp. in the sky. How do you guys do it?

With all due respect to Kraellin, I decided it is much easier to darken the streaks, rather than lighten the larger areas, because were it not for the streaks, the image would have been fine. Also, it's late afternoon & there are darker colors in the sky.

I have a tough time working with layers. A major problem is I have a layer & want to copy & paste one part of it to another part & nothing happens. Why is that? Sometimes I've moved the layer to the top of the stack & noticed the effect. There's a lot of other issues I have working with layers. It's so much easier to modify the background layer, esp. since I have a 16-bit image, but I know this is a no-no among PS professionals. I had to do some stuff on the background layer, because I wasn't getting what I needed with layers.

Would appreciate some comments on the above.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1810715-Dark-Mesa-for-Retou.jpg (197.9 KB, 15 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-30-2008, 11:59 PM

One4uall
I'm on my laptop so I'm not really seeing the sky issue your talking about.
You might try dropping in a colored blue gradient over the whole sky. You also might try unsharp mask at 20, 60, might add nice contrast to the whole thing.
On your copy paste issue, I never find an occasion to do that unless I'm pasting into and that's a whole other thing.
You probably know this and it will sound silly my suggesting it but...
when you have your selection made in a layer, hit control J
this will jump just your selection to it's own layer and you can move it and place it with the move tool and use blend modes and mask it as well.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-31-2008, 11:19 PM

Quote:
With all due respect to Kraellin, I decided it is much easier to darken the streaks, rather than lighten the larger areas,...
hehe, whatever works

for your blending light and dark areas, try something along these lines: add a blank layer above your image and pick a color between the two you're trying to blend. take your airbrush too and set it on a very low opacity, like 3 or so and set the density down to about 60. airbrush between light and dark, covering the edges of both areas. you shldnt need a lot. then, do a gaussian blur on that layer. this will smooth your airbrushing out and disperse it around more evenly. now, if your airbrushing still looks too heavy, take your eraser tool and set it to around 5 opacity and run it over your gaussian blurred layer. you can also try setting the gaussian layer to color blend mode and see if that's any better.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-01-2008, 09:15 PM

crazyfly1 & Kraellin,

One thing I'm learning from both of you is to think in terms of layers, and that's what I've been trying to do, altho not precisely as you have suggested. Without going into a lot of detail, I worked on a layer of just that area of sky I've been concerned about. I played around, trying various blend modes & adjusting opacities (a new concept for me). It so happened that when I tried the luminosity blend & reduced opacity, the division I was concerned about was reduced to my liking.

I don't think any of us want to go into the details of how that came about (I could provide my layers palette). Kraellin, I'm saving your advice for other images on this same roll of film. crazyfly1, thanks for the selection/layer tip, altho on a Mac it's Command+J.

David
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-03-2008, 12:17 AM

yup, layers are key to graphic editors and work done in such. and blend modes are just an extra boon to that. glad you got it how you wanted it.

well, it's just one way to do it. you'll find as you grow in this stuff that there's almost always more than one way to do things.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration