Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Removing Dust and Scratches

Old 05-21-2008, 02:57 PM
Patron

Re: Removing Dust and Scratches

Hi, Hilda -

I did this one using Ctein's method for fixing cracks, then finished up with a whole restoration just for the practice. Result is in the first image; the workflow I used is in the second. First thing you should know about Ctein's technique is that it takes practice to get a good mask. That and fiddling. The one I used is in the third image.

In my experience there are several things that count in making the mask. First is how much you sharpen the mask's source layer. I tend to use a radius in the vicinity of 1 pixel, depending on the size of the cracks, and a high amount, like 400 or so. Next is picking the channel to use after applying the find edges filter - you want the one with a combination of the best edge contrast and the least image detail. In this case I used the blue. Then there is how much you blur the channel you choose - just enough to fill in the average little crack. Finally, how much you increase the contrast is important. Too much and you leave some cracks unmasked; too little and you end up selecting the pretty much the whole image. The practice comes in when you try a mask. If it gives you good results, fine, and if it doesn't you go back, change one of the variables, and try again.

There is one thing about using the mask that I don't remember reading in Ctein's book. That comes when you apply the median filter. It's crucial that, in the layers palette, with the median filter layer selected, you click the little chain links between the mask icon and the image icon and make it go away. Otherwise (in CS3 at least - might be a bug) the median filter will affect both the image and the mask. And, as Ctein points out, you want to set the median radius only high enough to reduce the cracks as much as you can. They won't necessarily go away completely.

FWIW, I also tried using Polaroid Dust and Scratch Remover. It works pretty much as well as Ctein's technique, except that it tends to introduce linear artifacts that have to be cloned out later. And it's not really any fewer steps.

<C>

Addendum: It doesn't show in the workflow, but in a layer somewhere after treating the cracks I used Noise Ninja to further reduce the remaining noise.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 600res-mom-model.jpg (99.7 KB, 184 views)
File Type: jpg workflow.jpg (99.9 KB, 157 views)
File Type: jpg crack-mask.jpg (99.7 KB, 144 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-22-2008, 12:08 AM

i'm afraid i dont know CTEIN's book or method, nor do i use photoshop much. i've gotten used to paint shop pro and some of its features and mostly use that. one for instance is the automatic remove scratches tool/filter, which is how i started this restore. it's very similar to polaroid's dust and scratch remover and does a nice job.

i also used some other noise removal filters, like median and jpg artifact remover.

a lot of cloning was done after the noise removal and then a lot of push to smooth things out better.

i hope it suits
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 600res-mom-model-1-k-1e-rp.jpg (194.0 KB, 144 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-22-2008, 09:12 AM

Hi Lurch,
Spent the entire morning following your instructions Thanks. My mental block is how to get the mask, once made into the layer order you show. Do I put the mask on the Alpha channel? How do you transfer it across to the layers pallette so that it 'stands on its own layer' waiting for the curves adjustment. After that how do you get it to stand alongside the image on the layer above? I take it you apply the median filter at this point? I tried so many ways to do it, there must be one simpe solution. The last time I tried it, with the mask alongside my image, {I dragged it up a layer and un linked it) as soon as I applied the Median filter it worked on the whole image before I had selected anything.
This is where I got really confused with CTEIN's book, but was determined to 'crack' it (sorry) as it seemed such a good technique. Everything else is crystal clear, just how you get to layers three and four is my stumbling block. Sorry to be a pain.
Did you have to follow on with any more facial work on the fine cracks? You did a marvellous job.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-23-2008, 03:26 AM

Hi Lurch,
I have burnt the midnight oil on this one. I have now figured out how to add a curves adjustment to a mask (easy when you know how). Ive attached my mask and the stage I am at which is the application of the Median filter. I cant get passed this as nothing happens. Im clearly missing something obvious, perhaps I should be clicking on something different, but Im hoping you can tell me from my attachments
Attached Images
File Type: jpg My layers.jpg (42.8 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg My mask.jpg (81.8 KB, 60 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-23-2008, 12:34 PM
Patron

Hi Ali,
Looking good so far. Glad you hear that you figured out by yourself how to add the mask. That's the best way to learn. Quick question - when you try the median filter do you have the mask selected (wrong) or the image thumbnail (right)? And the median layer has to be selected to do that, but you already know that.
Quote:
Did you have to follow on with any more facial work on the fine cracks?
Not really - just a bit of Noise Ninja (Neat Image should work as well). Final smoothing was done with Rô's degrunge technique.
Quote:
You did a marvellous job.
Thank you!
<C>
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2008, 02:48 AM

Yes I had the image selected, but after another night on the computer, finally got it to work.
Intend to start some serious work on the image tomorrow and will post it when finished.
Still havnt been able to install the Polaroid plug in. Tried it in several different folders now, and it doesnt want to know. Wonder if its anything to do with me running an Intel Mac?
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2008, 07:39 AM

G'day all!

Just thought I would play with this one a little just for practice. I would need to go back and fix some fine cracks up around the lips but I think I have managed to get most of them out. Tools used were Chip Springer's Skin Action, Dust& Scratches, Neat Image, Lens Blur for background blur and just some small healing in Photoshop.

Flagpole
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 600res-mom-model-copy.jpg (98.8 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg workload.jpg (68.1 KB, 29 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2008, 10:13 AM

Flagpole,
Great job, so confusing to know which methods to use.
Ali
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2008, 10:39 AM
Patron

Ali,
The Polaroid Dust and Scratches plugin doesn't work with the Universal version of Photoshop unless you launch it (Photoshop, that is) using Rosetta. The stand-alone program will run on the Intel Mac, under Rosetta (that's what I use).
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2008, 04:45 PM

G'day!

I don't think there is one "correct" method as such. I don't do much restoring and prefer to use automated tools like actions, filters and plug-ins for most of the time to save time. You can always achieve superior results by hand restoring but it depends if you can spare the time and effort. I think the above took around an hour or two. It is not perfect but it is better than the original. I'll say if you have time then use 1 or 2 different methods then compare the results. The more techniques you are comfortable with the better results tend to be. Maybe even combine 2 different methods.

Flagpole
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration