RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Removing Dust and Scratches

Old 05-18-2008, 01:11 PM

Removing Dust and Scratches

I have been restoring photos for a while now, but am now faced with a photo with hundreds of minute scratches. I have been following 'Digital Restoration From Start to Finish' by CTEIN, which I think is for more advanced CS3 users.
There are many useful tips in there, but I cant quite get to grips with how the masks work. I select the channel with the worst damage, enhance the damage using various methods (curves, find edges etc), but then what? I think I have a mental block at that point, because it says make a mask which will enable you to repair most of the fine scratches before tackling the larger damaged areas. The results shown are truly amazing, but Im missing a piece of the jigsaw.
Anyone tell me what to do please?
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-19-2008, 07:36 AM

Re: Removing Dust and Scratches

Hi, Hllda... Welcome to RetouchPRO

First, make a duplicate of the layer you want to mask then switch to the Channel's Palette.

1. Load the selection you have created (Command or Control Click on the selected channel's thumbnail) or you can select the channel you want to load and from the Menus Selection/Load Selection. You will get the marching ants around the white areas of the channel.

2. Click on the RGB (composit) channel (keep the ants marching)

3. Switch back to the Layers Palette and select your copied layer. At the bottom of the Layer's pallete use the "apply layer mask" (it's the small icon that looks like a square with a hole in it) or from the drop down menu Layer/Layer Mask/Reveal Selection.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-19-2008, 08:38 PM

no disrespect to CTEIN or to yourself, but if you could post an image or part of the image with the tiny scratches, it would be better. i hate trying to give help on an image i cant actually see
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-20-2008, 11:04 AM

Heres a copy of the image. OK so I got the mask, but then what do you do with it. I mean normally you would paint over it with black or white, but dont get how the mask after using the find edges filter, and with the marching ants, gets rid of find scratches. Gone over it again and again the the book, but like I said, it must be for advanced users.
Any help would be appreciated please.
Thanks Swampy, at least I can get the mask where it should be now, I think anyways, it just seems to take over the image!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 600res-mom-model.jpg (124.1 KB, 246 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-20-2008, 12:59 PM

PS. I have just downloaded the Polaroid dust and scratch removal plug in. Can use it as a stand alone, but dont seem to be able to install it into the Plug Ins folder in CS3 on my Mac. Any ideas. Thanks
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-20-2008, 05:11 PM
Patron

Well First I used channel mixer to select the red channel and converted the photo to monochrome.

Next I used a curves adjustment layer to adjust the contrast.

I then used Neat Image to remove much of the scratches.

Finally I copied the layer and used a surface blur filter plus a layer mask so that I could paint the blur in the right places.

I also replaced the background.

There are still some scratches and stuff, but what I did took about 10 minutes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mom4.jpg (192.9 KB, 217 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-20-2008, 11:33 PM

The masking wasn't done that good, the edge is a bit dirty too.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-21-2008, 01:19 AM

Thanks Phil,
Yes I did the same, copied the Red channel, used curves for contrast, then changed the background, but Neat Image (as far as I can see) isn't available for Mac, which leaves me with the fine scratches still to resolve.
Ali
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-21-2008, 01:24 AM

I was wrong - just found the download page for Mac. Will give it a try.
Still would like to know how to use CTEIN's method though. I get lost somewhere between making the mask, and filling it with Medion filter and getting the results onto the original image.??
Ali
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-21-2008, 03:29 AM
Patron

Using Layer Masks

Well I don't have his book. But the way I use masks to repair damage is to copy the layer. To the Copied layer add some sort of a blurring filter like Surface Blur, G Blur, Median Blur until the copied layer is as expected very blurry. To that copied Layer hold down the option key and click on the add a mask icon at the bottom of the layers palette. That will add a black layer mask to the copied layer and blur effect will disappear. Look at the layer icons in the layers palette. The mask should be selected with a highlight around the mask icon frame. Look at the colors palette the foreground and background colors should be black and white.

Select a brush and paint on the photo with white. You are actually painting the mask and not the picture and as you paint white the layer will start to show. Its a good idea to use a soft brush with 50% opacity and then take it from there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mask.jpg (93.5 KB, 104 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration