RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Please Pros help bring this photo to life

Old 05-31-2008, 02:55 AM

Please Pros help bring this photo to life

Hello All,

I rarely ever post any photo in this forum. Found photograph, This photo is precious. I will have a go at restoring it myself, but curiousity got the better of me, I am wondering what the Pros in this forum come up with.

Any repair would be much appreciated

many thanks in advance

regards

helen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg London (1982_83).jpg (91.1 KB, 216 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-31-2008, 04:47 AM
Patron

Re: Please Pros help bring this photo to life

I am not a "Pro" as you can readily tell by my submission.. but I would like to see how a true Pro would tackle this photo also..

Just noticed this is in the Restoration forum.. guess I shouldn't have cropped! Sorry.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg London281982_8329crop.jpg (98.1 KB, 139 views)

Last edited by 0lBaldy; 05-31-2008 at 04:48 AM. Reason: oops
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-01-2008, 11:39 AM

Thumbs up Re: Please Pros help bring this photo to life

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0lBaldy View Post
I am not a "Pro" as you can readily tell by my submission.. but I would like to see how a true Pro would tackle this photo also..

Just noticed this is in the Restoration forum.. guess I shouldn't have cropped! Sorry.
Hi OlBaldy,

Thank you very much for your time and interest in my photo, much appreciated. You've done a lovely job restoring it. The photo was taken way back in the early 80s and the camera wasn't great, it's one of them discarded holiday camera hence! the quality of the photo.

Anyway I shall come and have a look to see who else would dare take this challenge on.

cheers

helen
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-01-2008, 12:32 PM

Hi Helen,
You are probably not getting as many posts due to being a little too gracious.... most everyone here would rather help you with a restoration than being influenced to do a restoration. I hope that is helpful and not hurtful... but is is honest.

Anyway, your photo is not in bad shape. It really only requires a bit of color correction and some dusting. The edge sharpness, or detail of the image may be improved a bit but not like a new photo would look. Unfortunately, there is not enough original detail/focus to allow it to be restored. So, Olbaldy's image is about as good as it gets. You could post a higher resolution image externally. That would allow a bit more detail to be obtained.

Good luck and please post your attempt at the restoration also. We would be glad to see it and help as much as possible.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-01-2008, 05:48 PM

hi helen and welcome to RP.

take a look at the histogram on your image. that's the problem with this image, all that dark with a flash focused on the woman. this gives you a tricky image to deal with. you can adjust the histogram to lighten the background, but it messes up the woman and you loose contrast. you'll need to decide if you want to bring out all that background more or simply concentrate on the woman.

looking forward to seeing what you
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-02-2008, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyO View Post
Hi Helen,
You are probably not getting as many posts due to being a little too gracious.... most everyone here would rather help you with a restoration than being influenced to do a restoration. I hope that is helpful and not hurtful... but is is honest.

Anyway, your photo is not in bad shape. It really only requires a bit of color correction and some dusting. The edge sharpness, or detail of the image may be improved a bit but not like a new photo would look. Unfortunately, there is not enough original detail/focus to allow it to be restored. So, Olbaldy's image is about as good as it gets. You could post a higher resolution image externally. That would allow a bit more detail to be obtained.

Good luck and please post your attempt at the restoration also. We would be glad to see it and help as much as possible.

Hi TommyO,

Thanks for your message, gosh I didn't meant my message to come out this way. I am sorry if I offended anyone, I do not wish to influenced anyone to restored my photo, I am just curious to see how the picture would come out if someone else have a go at it.

As mentioned I will have a go at restoring the photo myself and of course I shall post it in the forum, I do not have a larger size of the photo, it was sent to me from germany, it's been lying in a picture album for some 26 yrs.

anyway thanks for your tips and interest.

regards

helen

Last edited by sergio2263; 06-02-2008 at 01:46 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-02-2008, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin View Post
hi helen and welcome to RetouchPRO.

take a look at the histogram on your image. that's the problem with this image, all that dark with a flash focused on the woman. this gives you a tricky image to deal with. you can adjust the histogram to lighten the background, but it messes up the woman and you loose contrast. you'll need to decide if you want to bring out all that background more or simply concentrate on the woman.

looking forward to seeing what you

Hi kraellin,

Thanks for your message, much appreciated, the photo was taken some 26 yrs ago, the camera wasn't much in good shape, hence! the bad light etc. I shall have a go myself and post it in the forum.

thanks

regards

helen

Last edited by sergio2263; 06-02-2008 at 01:46 PM. Reason: getting my calculation right :D
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-02-2008, 04:07 AM

Mmmh, you said severall times you will have a go at it yourself. One just wonders why you did not start with that in the first place...

Anyway I gave it a quick go. Hope you like it .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mix.JPG (87.5 KB, 94 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-02-2008, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretagents View Post
Mmmh, you said severall times you will have a go at it yourself. One just wonders why you did not start with that in the first place...

Anyway I gave it a quick go. Hope you like it .
Hi secreagents,

I am working on the photo right now, I am restoring it bit by bit, I am still a newbie when it comes to restoring, I guess i've made a big mistake, i should have restored the photo first and then post the before and after and if anyone want to have a go they can.

Thanks very much for your try, much appreciated. I shall post my version as soon as I can.

regards

helen
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-02-2008, 09:09 AM

Not a heavy work but light retouching I did

1. Corrected the Channels
2. then Clone the skin area with Darken and Lighten Blending mode.
3. Lips enhancement
4. Eyebrow enhancement
5. some face countour added

I did work only on the face. If work more then It can be a nice restoration.

Ash
Attached Images
File Type: jpg London%20%281982_83%29 1.jpg (95.9 KB, 95 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration