Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Tips on Restoring this Image PLEASE

Old 06-15-2008, 02:21 PM

Re: Tips on Restoring this Image PLEASE

Thank You Everyone For Your Help
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2008, 09:59 AM

Newbie here. I find that, since focusing plugins always inject new problems, forcing one to shrug one's shoulders and accept, with defeat, the best one can get...that it's time to get serious. This isn't easy,BUT....using the polygon lasso (Photoshop and others) click on the "flare" that is seen from out-of-focus items and make a selection that is closer to the edge you would like to define. Close the selection so that you are painting INSIDE of it (which is less RAM-intensive that inverting the selection) and feather your selection by 0.3 pixels. Then using the clone tool, select a very close color to the target itself and paint up to the selection...this paints over the "flare" or softened pixels. Caution: this is very labor-intensive, but the results can be astounding because you are actually removing the pixels that are variations of the color of the out of focus item that are spread outwards.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-20-2008, 01:24 PM

I can't imagine how that helped at all. maybe I dont understand what trick* means by flare
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-20-2008, 02:23 PM

I'll make up a visual example for you. I do it all the time. Before I get to that, I'm saying that many of you may be looking for automated tools within Photoshop to execute a specific function like sharpening. However, no matter how time-consuming, it's good old fashioned painting techniques that can be the best tool. I'm saying that a line, (or hard edge) out of focus is represented by many variants of the pixel colors stretching outward from this hard edge...in essence, a "flare" of color, as opposed to few variations of color between the hard edge and an adjacent color. If you use the polygon lasso, feather 0.3, and click close to the edge of the blurred item, close the selection and then clone (or paint) from the outside in, towards the needed hard edge, you create the illusion of sharpness by recoloring the many variants that represented the out-of-focus look in the first place. Try looking close-up at a very soft-edged item, like variations in flesh tones on cheeks...they are represented by many shades of flesh plus even opposite colors. Then look closely at a tight photo of the edge of a finger (for example) and see that there are many less pixel color-variants between the hard edge and adjacent colors. Note: whilst I am a newbie here, I am a 55 year old fine artist who used only those non-digital tools preceeding Photoshop and it's cousins, therefore I understand "Rennaisance" (if you will) techniques. One is the understanding of adjacent color and hue to represent an object as 3D in a 2D world...like paint or watercolor on paper. So it's good to study standard painting and drawing when using a tool that mimics these techniques and, let's face facts: there is no water, there is no graphite, there is no paint, there is no spoon...it's ALL pixels and the brilliant engineers who designed these programs gave you automated tools to execute functions that previously were done entirely by hand. I adore Photoshop and digital art and embrace it fully, yet it is the same as Wii Fitness as opposed to true baseball or hiking, yes? Actions of your body are interpreted by a microprocessor to execute a function; that is different than a 3D world...so you have to learn to emulate the 3D world and occasionally the automation isn't as good as the real thing. One more note: I am an exceedingly advanced guitarist and after 45 years of study I know that it's extremely difficult to master this instrument; that the techniques executed by a computer RockStar game (by pushing a button to execute a "lick") would take you a minimum of 15-20 years study and practise to attain the same perfection as the button-push (and I'm NOT making fun of it) that makes the preset sample trigger. Pauly

Last edited by Trickphoto.com; 06-20-2008 at 02:29 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-20-2008, 04:22 PM

By 'flare' he is referring to restoring the sharpness of the image by using a brush to paint over the pixel bleed that makes up a blurry image. As you are essentially refining bad data by hand with this technique, you would need a very perceptive eye and patient hand to accurately do this and almost certainly a tablet.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-21-2008, 06:51 AM

DEFINATELY a tablet...I use the Wacom Graphire...a tablet is absolutely essential for true painting techniques if you are not just using automation. You can't paint hair properly, for instance. P
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration