RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Intermediate Ps student needs help!

Old 06-06-2008, 10:15 AM

Newbie Intermediate Ps student needs help!

Hi, everyone! I just found this site this morning while googling for ideas on just where to start with a restoration project assigned for this class I'm auditing this summer. The instructor had some ideas, but didn't think much could be done as the lower right hand corner of this photo almost looks like a negative. He tried doing some effects in an alpha channel; truthfully, he lost me, but even he agreed his efforts didn't gain much improvement to the photo.

I've explored enough of this site to see that many of you are real experts! Does anyone have some ideas on restoring the faded parts of this photo? I think I can probably handle the upper right/middle in terms of scratches & so forth.

Finally, is it possible to add color to a photo like this. That'd be fun!
I'd sure appreciate your help! Thanks everyone!
eloise
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NANA WITH DAUGHTERS.jpg (84.4 KB, 130 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-06-2008, 01:57 PM

Re: Intermediate Ps student needs help!

Hi Eloise, welcome to this great place. Now I am not too deep into restoration, but gave it a try...What I did was running levels at each channel, played with the shadow/highlight sliders a bit, once I got that looking a little better, I made a blank layer filled with 50% grey in blend softlight and painted with black/white brushes at low opacity to darken the darks and brighten the lighter parts...Hope that gives you a start..

oh yes, I staightened the pic a little :-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Darkened.jpg (185.0 KB, 104 views)

Last edited by amica999; 06-06-2008 at 01:59 PM. Reason: forgot something
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-06-2008, 04:46 PM

Eloise,
Welcome and I'm sure you'll get plenty of ideas.
With an image such as this, a lot depends on whether there is any information left in the lower right corner. Even if there is a smidge of good data, then you can likely enhance it.
One really good technique is to use the "apply image" method. It basically takes data from the channel that contain that "smidge" and builds it into (thus "apply") a target channel. You can do this multiple times until you obtain enough data in all the channels. The result is a very even looking image that you can now apply other techniques to, like levels, curves and so on.
If you'd like to try it, go ahead and experiment. Just remember, the source is the best channel and the destination are the other worse channels.
I'll also try it a bit later tonight and post a result.
Good luck !
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-06-2008, 04:57 PM

Eloise,
One other item I just noticed after loading into Photoshop. The image, while converted to an 8-bit RGB, actually does not contain any color information.
Is there any chance that it could be rescanned as a true color image ?
Or, maybe it was... and we could use your original scan.
That is the only way of possibly revealing more image data.
Thanks !
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-06-2008, 07:55 PM

Thanks, amica999! You've certainly made some progress. I'll see what I can do with it now.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-06-2008, 08:01 PM

Thank you, Tommy. Even with what little I know about PhotoShop, what you've suggested makes sense; however, I'll have to really dig through my text to see if I can figure out how to do it! I'm quite the novice! I had a lot of fun restoring an easier photo, but this one seems really hard. To answer your question, I don't have a scanner; I did this at class. This is a black/white photo. I'd be glad to send the original scan, but it is too big for the website, I think. How do I get it to you? Thanks for the welcome!!! eloise
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-06-2008, 10:24 PM

Eloise,
Most people post larger files on external sites. The limit here is 100K (200K for patrons).

You can use any you like; most require free registration for more than ample space. Simply google "free photo space" or a similar string.
Common sites are photobucket, shutterfly, thefilegarage, backupphoto and so on.

Regarding a method for "applying" an image, I'll see if I can write up a simple method.
Thanks !
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-06-2008, 11:05 PM

Ok. Here is my not so short description of using Apply Image. Hope it helps.. let me know.

Using Apply Image lets you rebuild weak image data in one channel from healthy image data in another channel. Methods differ for restoration vs retouch. So, the description below is mostly for restoration work.

The basic steps for restoration type work are:
1. In the Channels pallet, view each channel independently to determine which has the best image data. For this example, let’s say the green channel has good data, the others have poor data.
2. Copy your background layer to a new layer if you have not already done so.
3. In the Channels pallet, leave all channels on but highlight (activate) the first bad channel. For this example, highlight the red channel.
4. From the menu bar, select Image>Apply Image. In the top half of the dialog box, leave everything as is, except ensure the channel is set to the known good channel. In this example, green.
5. In the lower half of the dialog box, you may have to think about the blending mode and opacity. In the case of a b&w image where you are simply trying to build image data into another channel, try modes from the darkening group (darken, multiply, color burn, linear burn). I prefer Multiply. You can leave the opacity set high if the original is very weak. (On multiple Apply Image layers, begin lowering the opacity as you build image data.)
6. Click Ok.
7. Then do the same process for the blue channel. You will highlight green… run Image>Apply Image, ensure the top most channel is set to green, use the same settings as before and click Ok.
8. The new merged layer will look better than the previous. You can repeat the procedure on the same layer. However, I prefer to duplicate the layer and repeat the steps on the top layer. This provides more control over the process and allows you to alter layer opacity to fine tune the overall image.
9. If you need to control where the darkening takes place in the image, as most restorations do, use the Gradient Tool on a layer mask. Invert the mask (black) and set the Gradient Tool to be white-to-transparent. Apply the gradient to the area needing darkening, starting from outside the image and working your way in, just beyond the point where you feel it should stop.
10. That’s it. Experiment some. It does not take long to get it working. Soon you can apply this technique in just a few minutes.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-06-2008, 11:10 PM

Wow! Thank you! This is very easy to understand! Step by step - a huge help! I'll try it tomorrow and see what happens.

I uploaded the photo to this site: http://s281.photobucket.com/albums/kk220/eloisepics/
It is a larger file, but not the original scan. For some reason I couldn't upload the .psd file. Do you know why? Is there something else I should save it as?
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-07-2008, 09:42 AM

Most sites have some limitation on the file extension they allow you to upload. You may have to convert it to a .jpg . (Although most allowed a layered .tiff, it would not be much better... just a tad.) Just be sure the .jpg is contains the original scan color data. You should see a big difference between the channels, and the eyedropper should reveal differing values for R-G-B when pulled across the photo.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration