RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

300 year old text

Old 06-13-2008, 08:24 AM

Smile 300 year old text

Hi

The link below is of a photo of 300 year old text by the Sikh Guru, in His own handwriting:

http://www.sikhiwiki.org/images/2/28/GGS_Nishan.jpg

This is the only photo available, to my knowledge and at highest available resolution. Please try to restore it - I will also try (not very good at it though) and post. I want to make a wall picture out of it.

Regards
Hardeep

Note: Please try not to print the image, since its religious and prints need special care.

Last edited by hardeep; 06-13-2008 at 09:11 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-13-2008, 11:01 AM

Re: 300 year old text

Hi there

HERE is a start.

I may have messed up some of the script...I can't read it so I'm not exactly sure what was lettering and damage.

I started on the background.. if you look at the bar to the right of the lettering block. I just don't have the time it will take to carry it through.

But all I was doing was replacing the color with a textured background using a mask..It would take time but easily done.

Butch
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-13-2008, 11:15 AM

Thumbs down Re: 300 year old text

Hi Daviskw

Please explain "textured background using a mask". I use photoshop and GIMP, but do not understand the more advanced terms.

Regards
Hardeep
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-13-2008, 11:33 AM

You can fill a layer with 50 percent gray... then apply a texture to this layer using a filter of your choice... then change the layers layer mode to something like overlay.

The gray will disappear leaving the texture... I applied the texture over another layer filled with the color of my choice.

Then I use a hide all mask... then painting on the mask I add the color and texture where I need it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-13-2008, 02:56 PM

I gave this a try. I did not get the same excellent results that Butch got, but thought I would post it anyway.

I selected the top and bottom areas and then filled them with white and then added 1% noise. I used noise to create texture as opposed to Butch using an actual texture. Filled the area with white. Then you can go to the hue/sat and turn on colorize and change the white area to exactly the color you want.

Working around the text seems to be one of the mail issues. If I were doing this for myself, I would use my Wacom tablet and paint in around all of the letter lines. Using the tablet pen you have very fine control over the brush that use use to paint. I realize this may be doing it the hard way--not he best workflow.

Another thing that I tried with interesting results was to put a blank layer filled with white on top of the picture and then clicking in the blue area of the blank layer to bring up the Layer Styles Pal. Then using Blend IF you can bring the text image in fairly clean. Then you can use a layer mask to bring in the rest of the color in the image.

dc

Just noticed that the top is still in blue. I had changed it to white but forgot to resave the change.

Found something else that was of interest to me. First duplicate the image. Then Ctrl 1 will change your second image to the Red chan. Now convert this to grayscale and you can discard the color. Then you can further refine the text using levels/curves and brightness/contrast. The last step would be to convert your grayscale mode back to RGB. I forgot to change my grayscale back to RGB and when I put the color image on top I had an instant grayscale composite. Using your duplicate image, Shift drag your color image on top of your grayscale image changed back to RGB and then using a layer mask you can paint the cleaned up version of you text back into the color image. Then final refinements to the text can be made. I have heard it said that there are numerous ways to accomplish a task in photoshop.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg writing_ret..jpg (174.2 KB, 82 views)

Last edited by DCobb; 06-13-2008 at 03:25 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-13-2008, 04:56 PM
Patron

Added a fake canvas and tried (not cleanly I'm afraid) the text back.

http://www.imageox.com/image/280257-GGS_Nishan.jpeg
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 280257-GGS_Nishan-th.jpeg (4.2 KB, 181 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-13-2008, 06:22 PM
Patron

Here's my approach (workflow attached). This wasn't a beginner-type project - some of the masking involved fairly advanced techniques - but I'm happy to walk anyone interested through it. . . .Boy, does that sound arrogant and condescending . Not meant to be.

One could make this image much more polished-looking with a little more effort. I chose not to. It is, after all, a 300-year old document. One could also correct the pincushion distortion (Filter>Distort>Lens Correction) to get a squared-up version to hang.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GGS_Nishan.jpg (199.4 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg writing workflow.jpg (49.9 KB, 23 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-14-2008, 01:30 AM
Patron

experimented with color de-convolution filter
then applied FFT filter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GGS_Nishanfft.jpg (99.5 KB, 44 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-16-2008, 12:43 PM

lurch, just a quick comment...did not sound arrogant , sounded more like a person who is kind enough to want to help anyone who was interested in doing the work. Nebgranny
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-16-2008, 01:13 PM
Patron

Thank you, nebgranny. Glad to see you back in functioning order . . .
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration