Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Sticky Tape Damage

Old 06-28-2008, 11:14 AM

Re: Sticky Tape Damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HILDA WOOD View Post
It felt as if I was cheating and I wanted to make sure this method wasnt frowned upon by the purists, or indeed if I was missing something more obvious to you professionals.
I don't think it matters where the pieces come from, whether it is a creation of an artist, other photos, or pieces of the original. My standard is if I turn on and off the art work layer showing and hiding the original underneath it should look like the same photo with and without the damage. That is for paid jobs where the customer expects a restoration. Whether or not that is your need depends on your goals.

These are problems I saw, but depending on your goals, they may not be worth fixing;
-grain in background too sharp for rest of photo
-parts blurry
-hand on lap is lighter, makes it look even bigger
-woman was softly kissing the baby, now she is smiling

I have a hard time with losing the background and the two people who are partly in the photo - you lose the environment and the story and the moment becomes less candid, it is not cleaner or prettier, it just becomes a restoration that has had obvious art work done on it ... this is all just my two cents ...

Good job on what you did!
Roger
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-29-2008, 07:19 AM

You are right Roger. The hair is very blurry, and she isn't kissing the baby anymore. Why didn't I spot that? More attention to detail needed on my part. Thanks for your input.
In answer to Kraellin, the sticky tape damage was subtractive.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-29-2008, 04:38 PM

ok, thanks, hilda.

and, regarding the purists and professionals, i think they'd have been more upset if you hadnt done what you did. the original woman's face was pretty bad off and a simple restoration just wasnt going to do it very well. so, reconstruction is exactly what you attempt on those and that can often mean ghoulishly borrowing body parts from other sources

Last edited by Craig Walters; 06-29-2008 at 04:46 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-30-2008, 10:06 PM

i've been working on this one for a while. since i had no access to photograph the subject myself, i borrowed hilda's i was already working on this when you posted that picture, hilda, and since it was nearly impossible to fix the original, i simply borrowed just the head out of yours. i removed some of the lines on her face, since you said this was 16 years later. the rest of the work was mine.

it's always a bit of a trick to fix a missing/damaged background. a lot of times you can simply replace it if it's badly damaged or missing, but sometimes it's kinda fun to try to reconstruct it. i've no real idea how close i might have come to the original... probably not very, but, it certainly looks better than tape damage
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mochild-1-k-1k-rp.jpg (191.7 KB, 49 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-01-2008, 07:39 AM

Kraellin,
This is fantastic. How did you do it please?
Hilda
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-01-2008, 10:13 PM

hilda,

thank you

on this one, aside from cutting and pasting in the head you provided, this is all clone, push (smudge), and airbrush. i didnt even use any clarify, contrasting or other filter. it was all tools. the background painting was mostly clone painting (simply cloning used like a paint brush). and removing the unwanted white was also mostly clone. removing the lines on her face to make her look younger was mostly push with a touch of airbrush here and there.

those three tools are what i mostly use in restoration. i'm old school and do a LOT of my work by hand rather than filter. i'm not adverse to using a filter when it will save time and NOT sacrifice quality, but i stay away from heavy Neat Image and things like that, since they tend to smudge/smear/blur an image when over-used. i also prefer black and whites. they tend to be easier

the hard part of the way i do it is time. your image took quite a while (read hours over several days).

and forgive that i dont seem to give a more detailed explanation, but it really was just cloning, push, and airbrush, done on many different layers. the dark background was simply cloning from the left side over to the right. and the rest was just enhancing and cleaning up what was there with push and airbrush.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-05-2008, 03:32 AM

Quote:
After cloning and healing the baby's face, giving Mandy back her missing arm and other basic corrections (all a bit hurried ) I took another photo of her - 16 years older mind - and then found a photo of me with similar hair and brought it all together. It felt as if I was cheating and I wanted to make sure this method wasnt frowned upon by the purists, or indeed if I was missing something more obvious to you professionals. I only do it for fun, but this one was stretching it a bit.
Thank you everyone for your feedback.
Hilda
Hi Hilda,

I am still a novice with photo restoration but I can tell you, you've done a very good job, don't feel you've cheated as far as I know Katrin Eismann mentioned in her third edition book with severe restoration such as your photo is to steal, beg and borrow and if you have another photo of the same person is to use it. I found it better if you can use another photo of the same person rather than cloning, smudging and painting which i personally don't think give better results unless you what you are doing.

thanks

regards

helen
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-05-2008, 03:39 AM

Quote:
You are right Roger. The hair is very blurry, and she isn't kissing the baby anymore. Why didn't I spot that? More attention to detail needed on my part. Thanks for your input.
In answer to Kraellin, the sticky tape damage was subtractive.
Hilda

You should be able to cut and paste the original kissing mouth back onto the new restored version, if the photo are the same sizes, you shan't have any problem.

regards

helen
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration