RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Dark Textured Photo - Need Help Please

Old 06-29-2008, 07:01 AM

Dark Textured Photo - Need Help Please

This pic was sent over by Australian relatives, with the request, '4 x 6 please, no house in background'!!
Blue channel is the best, and set it up as black and white, carefully handpainted all details, but still cannot get rid of the texture which impairs the colour at the bottom left of the pic.
Tried scanning high res, low res, dust and scratch removal ticked, unticked. Scanning once upside down, flipping pic over, running De-crack, Polaroid Dust and Scratch removal (that leaves green lines all over it). Neat image, etc etc. Please dont tell me FFT filter, because that wont work on my Intel Mac with CS3, even in Rosetta.
Any other ideas please?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dark-Textured-Photo.jpg (38.9 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg Hand-Painted.jpg (66.4 KB, 92 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-29-2008, 09:00 AM

Re: Dark Textured Photo - Need Help Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameraken View Post
Hi PG.

Welcome to Retouch Pro.

The Alex Chirokov FFT filter is a Windows Only program and will not run on a Mac.

Image J runs on any Java enables machine (including a Mac) and includes the FFT filter

It's avalable here
http://rsb.info.nih.gov/ij/download.html

Hope this helps

Ken.
This is from a post located here.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-29-2008, 01:55 PM
Patron

Hilda, I think you have done a great job considering the image you had to work with!
It looked a little harsh to me so I overlayed the Original that seemed to showed a bit more detail and painted the mask at low opacity till it looked right to me (strictly subjective on my part.. others views may vary!).. I am running Photoshop ver7 on a PC so did a FFT which helped just a tiny bit (did mask back in her eyes and mouth though because they were tooo soft) Also used "Neat Image" on the larger version (here)

Hope you do not mind if I played with your retouched version (OOPS! Now that I look at it on here.. mine needs some color correction on the baby N guy.. Guess I was in a hurry!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hand-Painted_copyAWeb.jpg (88.5 KB, 53 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-29-2008, 07:53 PM

Hilda,
A couple of ideas... both based upon this pattern resembling moire to me.
(a) often you can remove moire by slightly reducing the image dpi, which simply merges pixels and softens the image. You have to experiment with the reduction, but one quick way to get close is by zooming out until the pattern is reduced. Note the zoom %, i.e. 60%. Then, in Edit>Image Size, under pixel dimensions use the drop-down and pick % and enter the value you saw on screen. Based on the result, play some more.
(b) the noise filters introduced in CS2 are better than in the past. You could try Filters>Reduce Noise, and try either Luminance or Color noise reduction. Often, I do both on separate layers, then reduce the opacity of each to achieve the desired effect. Using the Advanced tab allows you to do on each channel separately.

In this image, you may end up adding noise to the background to make them match. Without something like that it looks fairly obvious the background has been replaced.

Good luck with it !
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-01-2008, 07:50 AM

Cameraken,
Downloaded and tried the FFT filter you mentioned but couldnt get it to work, kept saying 'duplication facility not available.' The Java bit makes me glaze over. Gave up.

Ol Baldy,
Dont mind you messing with my images at all, feel free. I felt mine was too harsh by far, but if I went for the softer look, the noise showed through even more.

TommyO
Will definately try your method with the dpi. You are right, they look plonked onto the background dont they, its probably the wrong background pic anyway because it is pristine, and needs some colour fading and ageing.

I shall try out some of the recommendations this weekend, and if I get anything good enough, I will post the result, but take it you all agree that using the blue channel and then recolouring the image is the way to go?

Thanks everyone.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-01-2008, 01:22 PM

Couldnt wait till the weekend. Had another go, with an alternative background and tried to make the background and subject merge a bit better. The technique with the dpi worked very well bye the way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Background-2.jpg (80.9 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Backkground1.jpg (75.2 KB, 21 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-02-2008, 12:58 AM

Oops, wrong ones. Try these!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Background3.jpg (68.2 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Background4.jpg (100.0 KB, 18 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration