Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Need some help and advice pls badly scratch photo

Old 07-20-2008, 01:38 AM

Thumbs up Re: Need some help and advice pls badly scratch ph

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyO View Post
Very nice Phil and Chillin !

Helen,
We should also mention that it is not imperative to remove all of the "grain" and paper texture from this image. It is a normal part of the images' generation and seems normal to leave it in.

The scanning process has enhanced it quite a bit. There are some "descreening" options available in most scanners that will also remove some of it. However, the steps they have shown here also help reduce, then add back just the right amount of "grain".

Often, the trick to removing these light white flecks is to do so with de-noising or de-screening, or as Phil mentioned, slightly moving an identical layer one pixel with a different blending mode. As always in Photoshop, there are several ways to achieve similar results.

Hi TommyO,

Thank you very much for your time and interest much appreciated. The photo was sent to me from Germany, poor chap is desperate for restoring this photo of his dear great uncle, so I won't be able to muck about with scanners etc. I've downsized the photo as the original is some 2374 pixels size and it look so very bad, the scratches are very prominent, I love what Phil and Chillin have achieved so far because I just couldn't get my head around this photo of where to start, I can't believe you guys make it sound so easy, I will try every method suggested, it's time I venture out of the burrow and into the advance world of Photoshop. Thanks for your tips on "grain" and how much to keep or remove, I think i've tended to go heavy on them and remove most of it, "common for newbie" as someone mentioned, we tend to go over board.

Many thanks again

cheers

helen
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-20-2008, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin View Post
sergio,

you dont need a 'clean' spot to start you clone from. there are a couple of ways around that. you can set the clone to a fairly low opacity, like around 30 to 40. set the tool fairly small, though, you can do it on a larger basis, but mostly, set it small. then, simply clone with the idea of creating an averaging result. that is, clone from different directions into a common area. this common area is going to become your 'clean' mark. once you have it, you simply re-set the clone to that mark and work from there.

the other way would be to simply create a clean spot with paint type tool. use your color picker and move it around the area you want to set as your clean mark and get a decent idea of what the colors are. then, simply pick one that's fairly common and spray or paint it on a new layer above your other work. then, simply set your clone to that mark and set the clone to 'use all layers'. and that shld do it.

cloning shld almost always be done on a separate layer above your other work. the same is true with most painting actions like paintbrush and airbrush.
Hi Kraellin,

Thank you very much for your time and interest much appreciated.

I am a bit confused about different directions and into a common area? and how to re-set the clone to that mark? would you mind explain the different directions and how to set to the mark thanks.

Yes one thing i've learned is always make copy of the original image before anything is done, do you think working on an empty layer is better? i've seen this mentioned many times, I've spent this past 3 days whenever times permited to go through some threads to see what I can pick up and so far I've picked up so much tips, tricks and ideas, I've saved everything in my folders and I shall try them one by one. You guys are amazing.

I am sorry if I am asking to much questions, I am an idiot when it comes to photoshop, but it's better than being a fool and not ask for advice, i'll never learn would I lol.

Many thanks again

cheers

helen
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-20-2008, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillin View Post
Hi chillin,

Thank you very much for your detailed descriptions much appreciated, I just have a couple of queries, I hope you won't mind.

High pass details, not sure what it is, is it to sharpen the photo?, I've used high pass before to sharpen photos. You have an empty grey mask there? how did you do that? I am ok to get the black layer mask next to it, but the grey I am not sure with.

Noise reduction, would that be to use Neat Image at that stage?

You have another background copy 2 on the very top, is that the final stage?

I am sorry for asking much questions, I have saved your detailed descriptions and will experiment with it. I shall post the results in the forum for all the advices I've got from you all.

many thanks again

cheers

helen
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-20-2008, 09:55 AM

Re: Need some help and advice pls badly scratch ph

High pass details... to sharpen details see the attachment
Noise reduction... Neat Image O.K. just a bit or none
...another background copy 2 on the very top... for comparison
Attached Images
File Type: gif high_Pass_layers1.gif (183.7 KB, 51 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-20-2008, 09:05 PM

sergio,

you wanted a clean area to clone from. that's what i mean by the common area. you are going to make a clean area, a common area from which to clone. and the directions are simply the area around where you are going to make that common area. just clone from all around to that common area. all of your different clone tappings made into that common area will tend to blend into an average of the surrounding area.

and yes, cloning on a blank layer, airbrushing on a blank layer, painting on a blank layer, and smudging on a blank layer have many advantages over doing any of those things on a copy of the background. try it; you'll like it
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-21-2008, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillin View Post
High pass details... to sharpen details see the attachment
Noise reduction... Neat Image O.K. just a bit or none
...another background copy 2 on the very top... for comparison
Hi chillin,

Thank you very much for the attached much appreciated. I shall now follow all suggestions and will post the results on board.

You've been most kind with helping me.

Thank you

cheers

helen
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-21-2008, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin View Post
sergio,

you wanted a clean area to clone from. that's what i mean by the common area. you are going to make a clean area, a common area from which to clone. and the directions are simply the area around where you are going to make that common area. just clone from all around to that common area. all of your different clone tappings made into that common area will tend to blend into an average of the surrounding area.

and yes, cloning on a blank layer, airbrushing on a blank layer, painting on a blank layer, and smudging on a blank layer have many advantages over doing any of those things on a copy of the background. try it; you'll like it
Hi Kraellin,

Thank you very much for your help. I shall experiment with this cloning to make a clean area, I suppose one can learn something new everyday, anyway I shall post my result for all your critiques. You've been most kind with helping me, it is much appreciated. I will now save every single replied post from here to my files and try them all.

Many thanks

cheers

helen
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-22-2008, 11:30 PM

you're welcome
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-05-2009, 09:16 AM

Make a layer copy and use the "Dust and Scratches" that will back down the detail and throw the photo slightly out of focus however, using a layer mask and pulling the detail back into the photo is easy. This is probably the widest application you'll have to mess with it. Let me know if you run into any road blocks I can help you work on it. I've literally built photos back that were in crumbled chunks.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-05-2009, 12:49 PM

One more try..clone..healing bruch and noiseware.

Butch
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GreatUnclesample.jpg (72.9 KB, 42 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration