RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

A tough one

Old 07-22-2008, 02:57 AM

Re: A tough one

Hi, I thought I'd have a go at it. I think you have done some really good versions so far. Here's mine.

I did some levels adjustment, gaussian blur, neat image noise reduction desaturation and sharpening.

One with more contrast and one with a little more detail.

/Peter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sc00008589_2.jpg (49.5 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg sc00008589_3_2.jpg (95.3 KB, 62 views)

Last edited by pieohpah; 07-22-2008 at 05:39 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-22-2008, 03:55 AM

ByRo. How fantastic is that! What's the chance of you giving up your secret and telling us the process you used to get such a great result. It would be great to learn to do something as great as what you have produced.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-22-2008, 07:05 AM

Thumbs up Re: A tough one

Wow!!

Great Job everybody!!!

... don't know why, but I never thought of you as an artist !!! How wrong I was!!! What you did is simply fantastic!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyO View Post
...... No point in my trying now !
..Never say that ... ... We are here to help each other by exchanging ideas, methods etc...

What each of us does, might not be as good or as beautifully rendered as what someone else did ... but it's always a very valid contribution to be thankful for !!!

Well, I still wanted to try to get this image to look like a photograph ... I was very surprised by the big initial help I got by working on the image in Camera Raw (PS CS3) first (I've read a lot about it, but somehow I'd never really tried it) ... After this, I simply threw the 'kitchen sink' in and this is what I got..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F_sc00008589a.jpg (195.1 KB, 81 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-22-2008, 07:14 AM

Wow! That's impressive stuff Flora and Rô and you all!

I didn't try Camera Raw on this one, but that's a really good starting point. Thanks for reminding me Flora.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-22-2008, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz View Post
ByRo. What's the chance of you giving up your secret...
No secrets here.... (4 steps = 4 images below)

1) Go through all three channels (R/G/B) in turn, run levels on each. While observing the histogram, set black point and gamma to try and make a full-range histogram with a mean value near to 128. Choose the best channel - in this case (surprisingly) it's Blue.

2) Blurring: The key here is to use the "Surface Blur" but before this we need to do a Gaussian Blur to join the dots a bit (radius = 1.5) - otherwise the surface blur won't be able to differ between edges and noise. Next a surface blur to separate surfaces and edges (I used radius = 2 threshold = 20). For the background stuff we can use a heavier blur (radius = 6, threshold = 60), but this must be masked to avoid Auntie Lilly. Levels again to spread the histogram.

... end of restoration, start the arty stuff ...

3) We've got lots of shadows and lots of highlights. to spread them out you could use "Shadow/Highlight" - but I just prefer diving in with Equalize. Next thing is to start smudging (any doubts, see Palms' excellent thread). Easy here is to smudge Aunt's clothes and the area behind her. Take some time to do this properly because we want to divert attention from Auntie's face (difficult) to the clothes (easy). Take care with details - see the buttons? Equalize, again, and smudge again. The image is looking good and we haven't touched Auntie's face yet.

4) Now smudge the face. Not too much, she's a nice old lady but smooth model's skin just isn't going to look right. I decided to blur the background a bit more (masked), making Auntie pop out a bit more. Sharpening - I use "local contrast enhancement" - then clean up with a bit more smudging.

...and there we are, ready for colourizing (which I won't go into here). Colourizing can be quite important in a "bad" image like this. It's another good way to "distract" attention to something that is (relatively) easy to do right.

Easy, huh? Took about an hour.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Aunt-byRo-step-1.jpg (99.8 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg Aunt-byRo-step-2.jpg (97.4 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg Aunt-byRo-step-3.jpg (98.2 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg Aunt-byRo-step-4.jpg (95.6 KB, 50 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-22-2008, 09:57 PM

exceptional work, Ro and Flora. very impressive
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-22-2008, 11:27 PM

i had a go at this also. took some time. i used my standard 'find the image' tools, clarify, brightness/contrast, shadows/midtones/highlights, fade reduction, curves, levels, and histogram adjustment. the idea is to bring out the image as much as possible, then fix it. 'fix it' in this case, involved mostly airbrush on blank layers, though i did do one colorization layer which uses a copy of the image set to 'color' and then airbrushing. i used that mostly on the background and the woman's clothing. the rest was airbrushing on blank layers, some gaussian blurred, some not. near the end, after a lot of airbrushing, i did a copy merge and paste to new layer and then did a color balance adjustment layer on that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sc00008589-1-k-1g-rp.jpg (195.2 KB, 42 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-23-2008, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by byRo View Post
Agreed, as for pure restoration work, that is about as far as it goes.
From there on it's "artistic impression".

wow fantastic work, lovely skin tones.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-23-2008, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flora View Post
Wow!!

Great Job everybody!!!

... don't know why, but I never thought of you as an artist !!! How wrong I was!!! What you did is simply fantastic!!!

..Never say that ... ... We are here to help each other by exchanging ideas, methods etc...

What each of us does, might not be as good or as beautifully rendered as what someone else did ... but it's always a very valid contribution to be thankful for !!!

Well, I still wanted to try to get this image to look like a photograph ... I was very surprised by the big initial help I got by working on the image in Camera Raw (Photoshop CS3) first (I've read a lot about it, but somehow I'd never really tried it) ... After this, I simply threw the 'kitchen sink' in and this is what I got..
wow beautiful work Flora, you never let anyone down with the results you achieved with their photo. Very good work.

cheers

helen
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-23-2008, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin View Post
i had a go at this also. took some time. i used my standard 'find the image' tools, clarify, brightness/contrast, shadows/midtones/highlights, fade reduction, curves, levels, and histogram adjustment. the idea is to bring out the image as much as possible, then fix it. 'fix it' in this case, involved mostly airbrush on blank layers, though i did do one colorization layer which uses a copy of the image set to 'color' and then airbrushing. i used that mostly on the background and the woman's clothing. the rest was airbrushing on blank layers, some gaussian blurred, some not. near the end, after a lot of airbrushing, i did a copy merge and paste to new layer and then did a color balance adjustment layer on that.
wow lovely work, I love your colourize version.

cheers

helen
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration