Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Comment from you Professionals would really help,,

Old 07-26-2008, 05:46 PM

Re: Comment from you Professionals would really he

Hi mytac!

Welcome to RetouchPRO from me too
!!!

I really like your 'soft' approach to photo restoration!! No starting with over strong contrast, over blurring, smudging etc. ... just softly correcting and blending the corrections ... well done!!!

As Phil showed you, contrast can really make an image 'pop' .... but, like he did, be very careful to not destroy the details in shadows and highlight when increasing contrast.

Sharpening should be done as one of the last steps in restoration and follow Phil's advice on it...
Quote:
..Its better to sharpen too little rather than too much.
Here you can read some tips on Restoration I've collected along the way ...

As for Colorizing .... well, Vikki, one of our members, is, in my opinion, one of the best in the field!!!!
Here are some of her tips on colorizing which I've collected and treasure!

And here are example of what she manages to do with colours!!!

Helen,

I like your clean colouring and the colours you used very much ... ... If you like colourizing, read Vikki's Tips and go to her site to look at her work.

Hope this helps!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-27-2008, 01:36 AM

Thumbs up Re: Comment from you Professionals would really he

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytac View Post
Hey sergio2263

Thats great, thank you. I am interested in how you did it. What App did you do it with ?

Thank you very much for your efforts all the same, and if you get time to explain your process, I would be really pleased to hear itl.

Kindest regards

Ian,
Hi Mytac,

thanks for letting me work on your photo. The tutorial I use to colourize your photo is. Please see link below. I use Photoshop CS2.

http://www.worth1000.com/tutorial.asp?sid=161015

I just warn you whilst this tutorial give the best result, you will need a lot of patient and hard work to achieve a very good result, I've spent a year with this tutorial, I've just about crack how to get a decent colourization from it.

If you follow several times you will get the hand of it, but remember you will need patient.

here is the last one i've done. The photo was of good quality and modern, some vintage don't always work as good as others.

http://www.pbase.com/mstmart/image/94282423/large

I hope i've been of help.

thanks

helen
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-27-2008, 02:24 AM

Smile Re: Comment from you Professionals would really he

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flora View Post
Hi mytac!

Welcome to RetouchPRO from me too
!!!

I really like your 'soft' approach to photo restoration!! No starting with over strong contrast, over blurring, smudging etc. ... just softly correcting and blending the corrections ... well done!!!

As Phil showed you, contrast can really make an image 'pop' .... but, like he did, be very careful to not destroy the details in shadows and highlight when increasing contrast.

Sharpening should be done as one of the last steps in restoration and follow Phil's advice on it... Here you can read some tips on Restoration I've collected along the way ...

As for Colorizing .... well, Vikki, one of our members, is, in my opinion, one of the best in the field!!!!
Here are some of her tips on colorizing which I've collected and treasure!

And here are example of what she manages to do with colours!!!

Helen,

I like your clean colouring and the colours you used very much ... ... If you like colourizing, read Vikki's Tips and go to her site to look at her work.

Hope this helps!
Hi Flora

Thank you for your kind comments on my colourizing. I've heard and know of vikki and has seen her gallery which is brilliant brilliant work. I use the same colouring tutorial as vikki and have found this method to be very hard to get a grasp with. I have heavily modify the primary colour tutorial to suit my needs and as vikki I do not make selections I just use layers and the paint brush. I am happy so far with my colouring, I am no Pro like vikki, I am still very much a newbie but I am aiming to get as good as her, well a girl can hope can't they , I am not one to give up, if vikki can achieve such a fantastic result with this tutorial then so can anyone else, as far as I am concern it is not impossible to achieve good colouring digitally, we just have to be patient and work hard and most of all enjoy colouring and have fun.

I've just look at the tips you've given mytac and had a look at the links, they are very useful. I am useless when it comes to colouring clothes and surrounding etc, but the main aim for me is to achieve good realistic skin tones, so I know I am being neglectful when it comes to colourize clothes and surrounding, I shall worry about that later, for now I just want to practice and practice with skin tones.

here is the link to my last colourization.

http://www.pbase.com/mstmart/image/94282423/large

Many thanks

regards

helen

Last edited by sergio2263; 07-27-2008 at 02:33 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-27-2008, 02:53 AM

Re: Comment from you Professionals would really he

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergio2263 View Post
....here is the link to my last colourization...
WOW!!! that is beautiful!!!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-27-2008, 04:02 AM

Thumbs up Re: Comment from you Professionals would really he

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flora View Post
WOW!!! that is beautiful!!!!
Thanks Flora your comment are much appreciated.

regards

helen
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration