RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Comment from you Professionals would really help,,

Old 07-23-2008, 12:39 PM

Comment from you Professionals would really help,,

Hey all..

I am still trying to learn and develop my skills base,, any comments on my latest attempt would be really appreciated. thanks.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h2...4614/mum33.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h2...614/mum33a.jpg

Here is another one I did to remove the colour from the bottom of the dress. Please dont laugh, I am still learning,,

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h2...4614/mum1b.jpg

Thanks in advace

Ian.

Last edited by mytac; 07-23-2008 at 12:59 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-23-2008, 01:06 PM
Patron

Re: Comment from you Professionals would really he

Well you have improved the original.

I took your retouched photo and rotated it 2.45 degrees counter clockwise.

I then used levels to increase the contrast.

I then sharpened the image.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mum33c.jpg (194.7 KB, 67 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-23-2008, 01:08 PM

I have a thing about Sharpening,,, I am not sure how to do it,,,, is there a way to sharpen the whole image ? or is it a pen tool ?

I use Photoshop CS2 for info,, as well as a few other apps... I never thought of rotating,, good point, I will remember that, thanks

Ian
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-23-2008, 03:33 PM
Patron

Well using photoshop find the ruler tool and drag along a gutter or roof line. Next go to Image/Rotate Canvas/Arbitrary and it will give you some advice on how to rotate the image to make the selected line parallel with the top of your image.

Look under filter, sharpen and select unsharp mask and click amount around 100 and radius around three. Its better to sharpen too little rather than too much.

In your layers palette select a levels adjustment layer. Click the right white arrow while holding the option key Mac or Alt Key PC and drag to the left to find the white point of the image. Then click on the black left arrow while holding option/alt key and drag to the right until you see the black point of the image.

That stretches the luminosity of the image using the entire 0-128 grey level spectrum like a rubber band and helps the contrast of the image.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-23-2008, 09:54 PM

hi ian,

first, you'll get better responses if you put your two different images in different threads. putting both in one thread has a tendency for one or the other to be neglected/missed. it's ok, no rules broken or anything, but we do want to see all photos covered.

ok, and on your first image, the sea one, here's the main problem with that one... it's not your retouching, it's the image resolution and i'll show you why. look at my posted screenshot from being zoomed in in paint shop pro. notice the squares on the face. that's pretty low resolution. you want something higher so that you can get more of the detail of the original image.

now, a really good restorer could even work with that, but the point is, why, if there's something easier. so, if it's possible to get a higher resolution scan, that's what i'd do with that one first. if not, we'll talk

and on your second image, love it. you balanced out the lighting and contrast and cleaned the stain quite nicely. that's perfectly fine. you did exactly what you're supposed to do in a restore, bring it back to original quality (or better if you can without wrecking something ).

(and dont worry about having the two images in here. that was just for future reference.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mum33a-2-k-1rp.jpg (192.1 KB, 25 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-24-2008, 08:28 PM

Ian,
A good job with both. What Phil and Craig mentioned is good advise.

My opinion, the first (girl @ dock) one you did good removing cracks and discoloration. The overall tonality needs more work. Unfortunately, the image is was out of focus, so not much you can do to correct that. But, the final sharpening from a higher res image will help (as they mentioned).

The second, again good job with repairing. I think you may have gone just a smidge too far with the contrast. I happen to like some darker tones in there. Just my opinion.

So, it sounds like you're covering repair well, need more emphasis on tonality and sharpening. The thing to note is, usually you work on tonality first, then repair all those cracks and stains. So, examine your workflow and ensure you are comfortable with the order in which you are doing things.

Best of luck !
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-25-2008, 02:05 AM

Thanks all for your help and advice.

I am really enjoying doing this work, there is a real sense of satisfaction and the response from people to what I have done is great. Thanks to all of you, I am learning and getting better, so thank you.

I will look at the tone and contrast issues, and will take onboard what you suggest. Is it OK if I continue to seek advice from you? I dont want to offend by keep asking for help.

Thanks again

Ian.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-25-2008, 07:44 AM

Certainly, keep asking. We all enjoy advising others (sometimes too much ).

Best of luck !
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-26-2008, 01:29 PM

Smile Re: Comment from you Professionals would really he

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytac View Post
Hey all..

I am still trying to learn and develop my skills base,, any comments on my latest attempt would be really appreciated. thanks.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h2...4614/mum33.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h2...614/mum33a.jpg

Here is another one I did to remove the colour from the bottom of the dress. Please dont laugh, I am still learning,,

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h2...4614/mum1b.jpg

Thanks in advace

Ian.
Hi Ian,

I am sorry I hope you don't mind, I just couldn't resist this beautiful little girl, I was curious to see her in colour.

You are most welcome to the coloured version. Please do not hesitate to ask. I haven't colourized a black and white photo for a while, it was lovely working on your photo.

thanks

regards

helen

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3148/...42c648a1_o.jpg

Last edited by sergio2263; 07-26-2008 at 01:37 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-26-2008, 02:05 PM

Hey sergio2263

Thats great, thank you. I am interested in how you did it. What App did you do it with ?

Thank you very much for your efforts all the same, and if you get time to explain your process, I would be really pleased to hear itl.

Kindest regards

Ian,
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration