RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Great grandmother very damaged photo Pls help

Old 07-28-2008, 06:12 AM

Re: Great grandmother very damaged photo Pls help

Great job everybody!

I like the nice&soft ways of Leah and Breitling very much!!

Helen,

I guess you are going to colorize this picture (...would be a pity if you didn't since you do it so well!!! )
Keeping that in mind, I tried to keep the soft tones of the original where, in my opinion, the colours will result much nicer ....
I concentrated mostly on her skin and features, soooo, please, don't look at what I did to her hair ... (a mess like mine.. ) ... where I quickly used the Smudge Tool without refining...

To soften the noise I did the following:
  • Duplicated the Background
  • Run High Pass Filter > Radius 1.5, changed the Blend mode to Linear Light and I had a horribly sharpened picture ... Inverted the High Pass Filter Layer (Ctrl + I) ... and I had a horribly blurred picture .... decreased the Opacity of the Layer (for the size and resolution of the Image I worked on, 39% was the value I was happy with ...)
  • Used Neat Image (a Noise Removing software which can be downloaded free here) separately on shadows and highlights.
  • Used several 'Blank Layers set to..' (Lighten, Darken, Soft Light etc.) as described here ... just scroll down the page to the 'BLANK/EMPTY LAYERS SET TO.... ' paragraph

Attached Images
File Type: jpg F_2197541512_Half1.jpg (199.4 KB, 76 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-28-2008, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flora View Post
Great job everybody!
  • Run High Pass Filter > Radius 1.5, changed the Blend mode to Linear Light and I had a horribly sharpened picture ... Inverted the High Pass Filter Layer (Ctrl + I) ... and I had a horribly blurred picture .... decreased the Opacity of the Layer (for the size and resolution of the Image I worked on, 39% was the value I was happy with ...)

[/INDENT]
Thank you Flora for that tip
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-28-2008, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz View Post
Hi Gary,
Such a good job. While I appreciate your verbal outline, it would really help learners like us if you could screen caputure your layers pallete. This would help so much in trying to really understand how you've reached such a great result.
Thanks Liz. I agree that a capture of the layers palette is a great explanation tool and something that I will keep in mind for the future.

Cheers.

GGB
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-28-2008, 12:07 PM

have you tried scanning the photo in color ---sometimes the ravages of time can live in a particular color channel --- you can accomplish a lot by using the channel mixing adjustment option if one of the channels is cleaner than the others.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-28-2008, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarbees View Post
have you tried scanning the photo in color ---sometimes the ravages of time can live in a particular color channel --- you can accomplish a lot by using the channel mixing adjustment option if one of the channels is cleaner than the others.
... Great tip swarbees!!!! ....
That goes even if the picture you are scanning is originally grey
... I wanted to add it to my post .. but forgot about it...
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-29-2008, 03:35 AM

Ok here is my first post, and my first go at restoration.

Firstly I now realise I need to pay more attention as to what I have done to the image, so please excuse the limited info.

Cloning to remove the worst of the damage
A little surface blurring
Noise ninja to remove some of the noise
Some selective smudging
Adjust levels
As I wanted it to retain an old look to the photo I then added some noise to and finally colourised it slightly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled-2.jpg (98.3 KB, 48 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-29-2008, 09:07 AM

jus wanted to say what a lovely picture x x
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-29-2008, 11:32 AM

Here's my attempt. It's not that clean, as I was trying to retain every scrap of data and the "feel" from the original.
Like Flora, I used (several) inverted High pass layer, but blending on "soft light" and a reduced opacity where it just began removing the dirt and noise, then painted the fix in on a black mask. Then I used a sample skin texture with the heal tool on a blank layer to override the remaining noise on the face (soft light/reduced opacity). Then several blur, noise filters, and light/dark filters on duplicates and hand painted into the original on a black mask. Obviously, the big cracks and clothes were fixed with stamp and heal tools. Tiny bit of colour tone. There are still white spots which I didn't have to the time to fix.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg final240920_800.jpg (81.9 KB, 39 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-29-2008, 01:10 PM

Thumbs up Re: Great grandmother very damaged photo Pls help

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillin View Post
1. I've added noise to break down a little the larger grain
2. Healing
3. cloning
4. D&B + curves & levels adjustments
Hi Chillin,

Thank you very much for restoring great grandmother's photo it is very much appreciated. I don't know how you guys get this photo so clean, every time I look at them white specks it make me dizzy. I have been very busy over the weekend, I shall tackle the photo again.

many thanks

regards

helen
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-29-2008, 01:21 PM

Thumbs up Re: Great grandmother very damaged photo Pls help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flora View Post
Great job everybody!

I like the nice&soft ways of Leah and Breitling very much!!

Helen,

I guess you are going to colorize this picture (...would be a pity if you didn't since you do it so well!!! )
Keeping that in mind, I tried to keep the soft tones of the original where, in my opinion, the colours will result much nicer ....
I concentrated mostly on her skin and features, soooo, please, don't look at what I did to her hair ... (a mess like mine.. ) ... where I quickly used the Smudge Tool without refining...

To soften the noise I did the following:
  • Duplicated the Background
  • Used Neat Image (a Noise Removing software which can be downloaded free here) separately on shadows and highlights.
  • Used several 'Blank Layers set to..' (Lighten, Darken, Soft Light etc.) as described here ... just scroll down the page to the 'BLANK/EMPTY LAYERS SET TO.... ' paragraph

Hi Flora,

Thank you very much for restoring great grandmother's photo, it is much appreciated, I also appreciated the breakdown you've given on how you've achieved the final results. You've done a wonderful job as usual, needless to say. I love her eyes it is so clear. I might colour her but I am not sure yet. Oh I love the smoothness of her hair, this photo has been a nightmare, It took me a while to make the decision to post it on the forum, in the end I did because I wanted to see how everyone tackle this mess, you guys tend to just sail through any damaged photo, which make me realized any photo can be salvaged no matter what the damage.

many thanks

regards

helen
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration