RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Have gone as far as I know how

Old 07-28-2008, 11:29 PM

Re: Have gone as far as I know how

In response to TommyO .. to me in the original photo, the shadows fall away to the children's left hand side. This is therefore reflected in the shadings on the children and their clothing. In the new background, the shadows fall from the back towards the front .. it's dappled a little but maybe that is what is throwing it out visually.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-29-2008, 03:08 AM

Tommy-O this is the look I get when I quick-mask, select, ad a fill colour layer and paint it on. I have since learned that a hue saturation layer, or a curves layer does a much better job. When I used to use the former technique, the colour seemed to "sit on the surface" including the shadows; so it always looked unnatural and painted on. For instance, check the folds in the little boys' shirts. They should be much darker than that to my eye. I wonder, iphotozz, what technique you have used to colourise the kids. My only other observation is that the skin looks very "pink".
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-29-2008, 10:56 AM

Hi

Thank all of you for your very constructive comments. The way I colored the children was to use the brush in color mode. The problem I ran into in a lot of the picture was that there are areas (boy on left bottom of pants) that just won't seem to take on any color. There were many spots on both boys like that. So what I also did was use the blur tool at about 17% and go over the images to try and smooth out the pictures and then tried coloring again but found the same problem. After moving the boys onto a new background I went all around each of them again with the blur tool to try and blend the edges with the background a little more.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-29-2008, 12:18 PM

I would suggest iphotozz, that you experiment on those spots that won't take colour with a H/S adjustment layer. Just make a loose selection of a part of the little boys outfit, and adjust the sliders hue/saturation/lightness to suit. Turn off the "eye" of the previous colour layer you have made to get the full effect. I have found this to be my preferred way to get the colour to merge with the grain and density of the image instead of "sitting on top". If you like the effect, then you can continue painting on this H/S layer with a soft brush and fill in the rest of the boy's suit-switching between a black/white brush to remove excess. It might be a sloppy way, but I rarely make accurate masks/selections any more when colourising. Just do a quick lassoo selection of a small part and paint out from there. The soft brush also gives me the bleed at the edge that Tommy-O is talking about. Plus I end up with a mask that I can use if I change my mind. When you're time stretched..it works for me
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-29-2008, 01:09 PM

Back again. I just did this up sloppily and quickly to explain my previous post. Just a random choice of colour too. File may be a bit too small but just wanted to show you the H/S effect, particularly in the folds of the clothes. The white spots would need to be healed out I would say. Not uploaded an image before, but....First time for everything!
Attached Images
File Type: gif Boys2.gif (97.7 KB, 35 views)

Last edited by Liz; 07-29-2008 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Additional text
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-29-2008, 04:43 PM

Thanks I had not noticed the way the shadows were in the background. This weekend when the sun is in the right spot I will retake that shot. Make it out of focus and warm it a bit and try that for the background
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-30-2008, 04:24 AM

Thumbs up Re: Have gone as far as I know how

Quote:
Originally Posted by iphotozz View Post
Here is a photo that I am restoring and the one showing what I have done. I have pretty much gone as far as I know how in Photoshop and would really like some help from the Pros online as to what I could do next and how. Thanks in advance. Please note that the images actually looks much better but in decreasing the size so much I am seeing some pixelation. Should have turned off the sharpening. My other question is should I even go any further or have I gone to far? Great web site
I hope you don't mind my comments. The colours are too strong, it make the photo like like you've almost paste the clothes on, the face is too strong also very red perhaps it's just my monitor, you need to tone down your colours, choose subtle colour, the photo is very good for colouring, if you don't mind I'll download it and have a go, to show you an example.

regards

helen
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-30-2008, 06:30 AM

I don't mind at all. If you would like I will make the original full size photo available to you. I will take all of the comments and ideas I can get
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-30-2008, 07:08 AM

Thumbs up Re: Have gone as far as I know how

Quote:
Originally Posted by iphotozz View Post
I don't mind at all. If you would like I will make the original full size photo available to you. I will take all of the comments and ideas I can get
Hi iphotozz,

Thanks for your reply, yes please do send the photo full size. I am a newbie with photo restoration also, but I would be happy to work on your photo, I shall restore it as good as I can get and will colorize it too, your photo don't look that damaged. Please see below links to my gallery at Pbase, it is only for photo colourization. I am still practicing with my colourization also.

http://www.pbase.com/mstmart/image/87052965

I also colourize photos the trichromie way it is the three colour process from 3 RGB black and white filter, the images originally from three black and white filters, i've restored and colour composite using photoshop cs2.

http://www.pbase.com/mstmart/image/100809549/large

many thanks

regards

helen
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-30-2008, 07:43 AM

Hi Helen

No problem. You or anyone else that wants to play with the photo is welcome to. I would like to see the results others get but more importantly to me is how those results are achieved so that I may learn and incorporate some of those methods into my own. To download the picture go to http://www.iphotozz.com/onlinepics/boys.jpg.

I also want to thank everyone who has taken the time to look at what I have done so far and has made some very constructive comments. I will continue to post my updates. Thanks again to all
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration