Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Have gone as far as I know how

Old 07-30-2008, 11:43 AM

Thumbs up Re: Have gone as far as I know how

Quote:
Originally Posted by iphotozz View Post
Hi Helen

No problem. You or anyone else that wants to play with the photo is welcome to. I would like to see the results others get but more importantly to me is how those results are achieved so that I may learn and incorporate some of those methods into my own. To download the picture go to http://www.iphotozz.com/onlinepics/boys.jpg.

I also want to thank everyone who has taken the time to look at what I have done so far and has made some very constructive comments. I will continue to post my updates. Thanks again to all
Hi iphotozz,

Thanks for the link, I have downloaded the full size, I know what you mean about seeing other results, that's why I've put my photo in the forum, it's seeing so many different method of restorations and getting great tips, I am saving all the tips, I have tried a couple but not getting anywhere, I need to learn layer masks, levels, and curves and the rest, they are all behond me at the moment.

many thanks

regards

helen
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-30-2008, 02:29 PM

Re: Have gone as far as I know how

Hi All

Here is another attempt. A complete start over. I used Liz's method of a H/S layer (many layers) which I have to say I like much better. I also used a new background although the sun light is still not quite right. I then used a warming filter on the background to give it the same feel as the boys. Finally I went around both boys with a blur tool to try and blend them in a little better with the background. This time when I did the selection of the boys I feathered the edges about 3 pixels. Still am not able to get away from the look of it being two different pictures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg #3.jpg (98.0 KB, 28 views)

Last edited by iphotozz; 07-30-2008 at 02:30 PM. Reason: Comment
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-31-2008, 04:37 PM

Looking much better !
Yes, there is still that cut & paste look. It seems to be a mix of contrast differences between forground and background, a hard edge on the kid's mask, and the little bit of tilt in their stance.

I also think that when the kids were scanned in, their color channels were not balanced prior to colorizing or adding the new background. Look at your final image, then look at each channel. The kids stand out in the red & green channels, whereas the background is more in the blue channel. This is resulting in a contrast shift.

This can be corrected with a channel mixer adj. layer, although better done from the beginning. I did play with a CM layer and it does seem to help, if mixed to the correct proportions. Basically, mix a little of the kids (red/green) into blue... and a little of the background (blue) into the red... until you like the contrast and color. Each channel should end up at 100% total mix.

I was also thinking the kids could be straightened up just a tad... I don't know if they would normally stand at that angle.

I've attached a couple snapshots of the edge detail I spoke of.. you can see where it is darker on the edge, which should not be there. That simply enhances the cut & paste look.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg #3 - edge1.jpg (39.5 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg #3 - edge2.jpg (40.6 KB, 12 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-01-2008, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iphotozz View Post
Hi All

Here is another attempt. A complete start over. I used Liz's method of a H/S layer (many layers) which I have to say I like much better. I also used a new background although the sun light is still not quite right. I then used a warming filter on the background to give it the same feel as the boys. Finally I went around both boys with a blur tool to try and blend them in a little better with the background. This time when I did the selection of the boys I feathered the edges about 3 pixels. Still am not able to get away from the look of it being two different pictures.
The colour still look very strong perhaps it's my monitor, the faces are too red, please see my attach photo for skin tones. Tone down the colour of their clothes as well.

This is what I use for my colourization

http://www.worth1000.com/tutorial.asp?sid=161015

or you can try this one also

http://www.worth1000.com/tutorial.asp?sid=161018. I haven't try this method.

Thanks

regards

helen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GIRL Colourize.jpg (44.1 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by sergio2263; 08-01-2008 at 01:51 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-01-2008, 04:40 AM

Can I say, I think your original background was great. Natural and good. My focus was to get the kids to match that background which is why I suggested the H/S method which will give good shadow and highlight to these little cute people. When I look at your result, I think that you're still trying to get the background to match the kids, when really, it needs to be the other way around. It's all about matching tonality. So I would suggest you return to those H/S layers of the kids and drop down the lightness factor. Slide the lightness down. The folds in those clothes should be pretty black, as are the shadows on the leaves. Hope this helps
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-02-2008, 07:52 AM

Thanks TommyO I think you hit the nail on the head. In this attempt I did some channel mixing and I also brought down the brightness off the background and increased the brightness a little of the boys. To try and match the layers better. Thinking about what Liz has said I think maybe I went in the wrong direction

Thanks Liz I think part of my problem is exactly as you stated. I think maybe I was looking at it the wrong way in trying to get the two to match. When you say original background do you mean in my first attempt or the actual background of the original picture. The reason I did not use the original picture background is that the picture has deteriorated so much over the years that to my eyes the original background is pretty much featureless.

Helen Thanks for the links I candefinetly use all the help I can get :-).

I have two attempts here not sure which is the right direction. The difference is mainly in the brightness and overall warmth
Attached Images
File Type: jpg #4.jpg (99.0 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg #5.jpg (92.9 KB, 20 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-03-2008, 01:13 PM

Hi again

Here's my take on the last two photos. I actually quite like the darker one. I had a wee play.

90% blur around the edges and also around the recoloured selections. The boys faces are in a quite soft focus so the clothes cannot be too crisp.

I lightened the face a little on the 'blue' boy (bad selection but it was quick)

Then I made a very very very faint drop shadow. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't .. helps make a connection between subject and background.

Something to play with

Leah
Attached Images
File Type: jpg twoboys.jpg (95.5 KB, 21 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-03-2008, 04:25 PM

In this sort of work, it is not just matching brightness or darkness. In order for something to look like it is part of the environment, it must share the same light quality. This means angle, intensity, irregularity and colour. Obviously not an easy thing to do. As a quick example to did a few adjustments on your second version. I overlayed the boys with a more reddish/yellowish light, then re-washed them with a graduated green to simulate the environmental colour effects, increased saturation to match the background and hand painted in light on their bodies to match the direction of the light in their envrionment. Blurred and smudged the edges. Finally I added a little colour noise to simulate colour film. A lot more care would be needed to make it truly believable, but I think that you can see the difference.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fix-boys #4.jpg (93.5 KB, 16 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration