Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Best Restoration book for newbie pls

Old 08-04-2008, 02:46 PM

Thumbs up Re: Best Restoration book for newbie pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin View Post
helen, this is going to sound a bit like i'm being a smart-*ss, but i dont mean it that way. the key is when you said 'newbie with photoshop'. what i recommend here is learn photoshop first, then learn restoration. and, for that, i'd suggest starting with the photoshop docs that come with it. see, i told you it would sound like i'm being a smart-*ss.

the simple fact is, there is a lot to know in restoration. there is also a LOT to know in photoshop. so, you are taking on two tasks at once by trying to learn both at once. this can trip folks up just starting out. do keep in mind your purpose for learning photoshop, but learn the tools first and then learn where and when to apply them. it's two different subjects heading towards one goal.

compare it to a painter. a painter needs to learn a lot more than just color or lines or lighting. there is a whole wealth of undercuts to just 'painting'. you need to know brushes, the bristles, the taper, the density of the brush, the paint types and mixing and colors and hues and tints and just a ton of things that go into the whole subject of painting. an artist needs to know his tools before he can actually paint a good picture. compare that to the person who can maybe draw really well and so picks up a paintbrush and attempts to paint. they're generally going to fail at rendering something really good. they may draw it perfectly, but the colors are likely to be off, the thicknesses, the canvas may not be stretched correctly and so on.

you see what i'm saying here? it's two different subjects. this was a very hard lesson for me to learn and i'm still learning it. one wants to dive right in and paint a masterpiece the first time out. but at the same time, one may barely know what a brush is.

so, all i'm saying is, learn the tools. spend a few weeks doing nothing but cloning. take up some of the challenges we have here for restoration and just do them over and over using basic tools. get comfortable with the tools and the documentation for those tools. heck, i still have to look things up and i've been doing this a while now. in fact, i dont even hardly use photoshop. i have it, but i find the easier level of paint shop pro is sufficient for most restoration work. so, i like simple i do use photoshop when someone posts a tutorial or help and it just wont translate to psp, but that's about all. photoshop is the cadillac, but who says we all have to drive cadillacs

ok, i dont really want to steer you off photoshop, though it is sounding a bit like that. i'm just saying, there are other options that are simpler if you need or want them. and i've found a number of folks on here use both, or they use another combination of programs.

so, my main point in all this is, be easy on yourself and dont bite off too much at once. get the basics and get them well and with photoshop there is nothing more basic in learning than the adobe documentation as a first level of learning. period.

Hi Kraellin,

Thank you very much for your reply and for your explainations about photoshop and restoring photos. I think I've got as far as I can with basic restorations, such as using the clone,patch,healing tools etc, I've learn there are a lot more to be done to a damaged photo, before I actually pick up any of photoshop tool, a damaged or faded photo need other advance technique, such as levels, curves, checking which channel is best etc, that's the step now I want to take, once I get my photo looking as good as sharp, then I can pick up the clone or any relevant tools to repair any crack or tear.

So the next step for me to learn now are levels, curves, sharpen, layers and using various relevant plug-ins which is completely new to me.

And nah! you haven't put me off Photoshop, I don't mind taking a deep dive and swim back up.

Thanks very much for your help

regards

helen
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-04-2008, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyO View Post
Helen,
If you liked Katrin Eismann's approach, she has another book that could be better to read first (or now) that covers configuring PS, method of making selections, understanding layers and masks, advanced masking, advanced selections, basic compositing. It will fine tune your understanding of making difficult selections and how to save them to alpha channels as well as building better masks, etc.
Like the other book, it comes with downloadable files for all the tutorials.

It's called "Photoshop Masking & Compositing", copyright 2005, New Riders publisher. Looks like the other one, but blue & white.
Hi TommyO,

Thanks very much for your reply much appreciated. Yes this looks like the next level I want to go, I want to learn also on how to get a damaged photo looking good before I start using any tools for actual repairs. I think it's time to make a list or google about photo restoration on how to get started.

Many thanks for your reply and for the books suggested.

regards

helen
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-04-2008, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtism View Post
You might also want to try Photoshop CS3 Restoration and Retouching by Mark Fitzgerald. It might be just what you're looking for!

Curtis
Hi Curtism,

Thank you for your reply much appreciated, I am working with CS2, I daren't climbing the ladder for CS3 yet , but thanks for the suggestion of book by Mark Fitzgerald, I shall google for it and read the review.

Many thanks

regards

helen
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-04-2008, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillin View Post
sergio2263 don't forget about retouching. Someone who knows restoration, knows retouching too & don't be discourage by stupid remarks like this: by Ant alias HughSteenk.
Hi Chillin,

No don't be worrying, guy like him is the least of my worry, I certainly do not take his opinion to view and of course he won't be discouraging or putting me off, looks like something or someone has put him off though .

Many thanks

regards

helen
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-04-2008, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smak View Post
I recommend a book like PS Bible to get started. It describes every feature of the program - once you learn all the tools, you can take advantage of tutorials or retouching books.

Hi Smak,

Thank you for your reply and for the book recommendation, I've took notes of everything that has been said and shall follow them. I think for now I might search for specific tutorial before I buy any book, I've already bought two books and neither is of any use to me as they are both advanced. I need a book for dummies .

Many thanks

regards

helen
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-04-2008, 07:34 PM

Re: Best Restoration book for newbie pls

Quote:
So the next step for me to learn now are levels, curves, sharpen, layers and using various relevant plug-ins which is completely new to me.
ah, you're starting to get into the fun stuff, then
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-04-2008, 10:25 PM

PS Bible or PS for Dummies are books for beginners. That's who they are written for. They explain Levels, Curves, layers, masks, sharpening, channels, adjustment layers -- everything a beginner should learn so they can learn retouching and restoration, etc.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-07-2008, 08:01 AM

Sometimes when you are new your local library can a good source, for Photoshop books.

Usually you can find the basic starter books on the shelf, the good ones with all the cool tricks are usually off the shelf with holds on them.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-08-2008, 08:15 AM

I think for retouching basics Katrin Eismann books offer you best value for the money
Ctein Knows his tuff I just find his book is not layed out all that well but a lot of good information in his book
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-09-2008, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin View Post
ah, you're starting to get into the fun stuff, then
Hi Kraellin,

I don't know about the fun stuff, but i'll try to have fun whilst experimenting with photoshop's tools.

regards

helen
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration