Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Best Restoration book for newbie pls

Old 08-09-2008, 07:11 AM

Re: Best Restoration book for newbie pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by smak View Post
PS Bible or PS for Dummies are books for beginners. That's who they are written for. They explain Levels, Curves, layers, masks, sharpening, channels, adjustment layers -- everything a beginner should learn so they can learn retouching and restoration, etc.
Hi Smak,

thanks for your post much appreciated, yes i did think about book for dummies, that's the first on the list to buy book.

regards

helen
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-09-2008, 07:14 AM

Thumbs up Re: Best Restoration book for newbie pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by resto View Post
Sometimes when you are new your local library can a good source, for Photoshop books.

Usually you can find the basic starter books on the shelf, the good ones with all the cool tricks are usually off the shelf with holds on them.
Hi Resto,

Thanks for your reply much appreciated, I did try my local library, there wasn't much good stock there, what they have are about microsoft windows for dummies, excel etc. I am afraid Barnet Borough is quite behind when it comes to photoshop.

Thanks

regards

helen
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-09-2008, 07:19 AM

Thumbs up Re: Best Restoration book for newbie pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by zganie View Post
I think for retouching basics Katrin Eismann books offer you best value for the money
Ctein Knows his tuff I just find his book is not layed out all that well but a lot of good information in his book
Hi Zganie,

Thanks for your reply much appreciated, Katrin Eismann seems a popular character when it comes to restoring and retouching, most people suggest her book, I do have one the Third Edition Restoration, it's too advance for me to use it yet, I agree with you Ctein book was somewhat not what I am looking for, not much detail tutorial for newbie, he also mentioned about using a lot of plug-ins some of which I've never heard of before. Oh well back to the drawing board and start from scratch.

Thanks

regards

helen
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2008, 09:45 AM

Howdy, Katrins Books are top notch no doubt about it.
However when you find your self trying to take on something that employs great skill and concentration and above all "Patience" the #1 killer of your Photoshop Restoration Dreams is the lack of "Patience".
A very good way to overcome that deficit is to learn the techniques that you aspire to master one day watching an expert do them so you can re-wind watch over and over again like a Rookie QB in the NFL watching endless film until finally it all comes together just moments before his synapses can overload rendering him fit for flipping your lunch at the local greasy spoon.

Katrin again emerges to save the day with her DVD series on Photo Restoration.
Rent it here: http://smartflix.com/store/video/190...Retouch-Series I recommend the retouch series as well
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-09-2008, 03:05 PM

Ctein's book is excellent in it's scope however he uses PC and bounces all over the place! He also uses CS2 which is becoming two generations old and needs to update the book to more current versions to clarify the directions. THere are also a few little steps that are expected that the reader knows.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration