RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Best Restoration book for newbie pls

Old 08-03-2008, 04:00 AM

Question Best Restoration book for newbie pls

Hi Guys,

What's the best restoration book to buy if you are a newbie with Photoshop as well as photo restoration. I have Photoshop CS2, I daren't upgrade to CS3 yet.

I have so far bought Katrin Eismann Third Edition and Ctein Digital restoration from Start to Finish. So far I can't seem to grasp the tutorials from either book, I think I need to start from scratch and learn tools, layers, levels, curves etc.

Many thanks in advance

regards

helen
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-03-2008, 05:31 AM

Re: Best Restoration book for newbie pls

I learnt all the basics from How to Cheat in Photoshop, by Steve Caplin. I'd thoroughly recommend it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-03-2008, 09:35 AM

Have you used Google to look for tutorials on specific topics of interest? Also, YouTube has a lot of tutorials on Photoshop. In selecting a book, try to select a book that comes with a picture CD or has the same images that are used in the book available online.

One of the best books that I have that has very good step by step directions is called Photoshop CS2 Before & After Makeovers by Taz Tally. Wiley is the publisher and can be reached at wiley.com. The book sells for $29.99. The 10 digit ISBN is 0-471-741-74901-x.

Another book that takes each tool is the Adobe Photoshop CS2 Visual Encyclopedia. They may have one out for CS3. ISBN 0-7645-9860-0. This has excellent step-by-step directions as well as screen shots to walk you through the steps.

I have Ctein's book as well as How To Cheat in Photoshop. Great books, but not what I would recommend if you want to focus your learning on specific tools. These help more with specific tasks.

dc
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-03-2008, 10:12 AM

Quote:
What's the best restoration book to buy if you are a newbie with Photoshop as well as photo restoration.
helen, this is going to sound a bit like i'm being a smart-*ss, but i dont mean it that way. the key is when you said 'newbie with photoshop'. what i recommend here is learn photoshop first, then learn restoration. and, for that, i'd suggest starting with the photoshop docs that come with it. see, i told you it would sound like i'm being a smart-*ss.

the simple fact is, there is a lot to know in restoration. there is also a LOT to know in photoshop. so, you are taking on two tasks at once by trying to learn both at once. this can trip folks up just starting out. do keep in mind your purpose for learning photoshop, but learn the tools first and then learn where and when to apply them. it's two different subjects heading towards one goal.

compare it to a painter. a painter needs to learn a lot more than just color or lines or lighting. there is a whole wealth of undercuts to just 'painting'. you need to know brushes, the bristles, the taper, the density of the brush, the paint types and mixing and colors and hues and tints and just a ton of things that go into the whole subject of painting. an artist needs to know his tools before he can actually paint a good picture. compare that to the person who can maybe draw really well and so picks up a paintbrush and attempts to paint. they're generally going to fail at rendering something really good. they may draw it perfectly, but the colors are likely to be off, the thicknesses, the canvas may not be stretched correctly and so on.

you see what i'm saying here? it's two different subjects. this was a very hard lesson for me to learn and i'm still learning it. one wants to dive right in and paint a masterpiece the first time out. but at the same time, one may barely know what a brush is.

so, all i'm saying is, learn the tools. spend a few weeks doing nothing but cloning. take up some of the challenges we have here for restoration and just do them over and over using basic tools. get comfortable with the tools and the documentation for those tools. heck, i still have to look things up and i've been doing this a while now. in fact, i dont even hardly use photoshop. i have it, but i find the easier level of paint shop pro is sufficient for most restoration work. so, i like simple i do use photoshop when someone posts a tutorial or help and it just wont translate to psp, but that's about all. photoshop is the cadillac, but who says we all have to drive cadillacs

ok, i dont really want to steer you off photoshop, though it is sounding a bit like that. i'm just saying, there are other options that are simpler if you need or want them. and i've found a number of folks on here use both, or they use another combination of programs.

so, my main point in all this is, be easy on yourself and dont bite off too much at once. get the basics and get them well and with photoshop there is nothing more basic in learning than the adobe documentation as a first level of learning. period.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-03-2008, 06:35 PM

Helen,
If you liked Katrin Eismann's approach, she has another book that could be better to read first (or now) that covers configuring PS, method of making selections, understanding layers and masks, advanced masking, advanced selections, basic compositing. It will fine tune your understanding of making difficult selections and how to save them to alpha channels as well as building better masks, etc.
Like the other book, it comes with downloadable files for all the tutorials.

It's called "Photoshop Masking & Compositing", copyright 2005, New Riders publisher. Looks like the other one, but blue & white.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-03-2008, 07:18 PM
Patron

You might also want to try Photoshop CS3 Restoration and Retouching by Mark Fitzgerald. It might be just what you're looking for!

Curtis
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-03-2008, 11:33 PM

sergio2263 don't forget about retouching. Someone who knows restoration, knows retouching too & don't be discourage by stupid remarks like this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant View Post
Forgive me for being an ass, but photo restoration is low brow retouching. So is this board. Nothing to see here, moving along. Flame away, but I won't be reading it.
by Ant alias HughSteenk...HughAnt

Last edited by chillin; 10-09-2008 at 10:06 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-04-2008, 01:29 PM

Thumbs up Re: Best Restoration book for newbie pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by katew View Post
I learnt all the basics from How to Cheat in Photoshop, by Steve Caplin. I'd thoroughly recommend it.
Hi Katew,

Thanks very much for your reply much appreciated. I shall google for the book, being a complete novice, I am after a book for dummies, a book that can give tutorial in detail, both book I've bought is way to advance for me.

many thanks

regards

helen
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-04-2008, 01:38 PM

Thumbs up Re: Best Restoration book for newbie pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCobb View Post
Have you used Google to look for tutorials on specific topics of interest? Also, YouTube has a lot of tutorials on Photoshop. In selecting a book, try to select a book that comes with a picture CD or has the same images that are used in the book available online.

One of the best books that I have that has very good step by step directions is called Photoshop CS2 Before & After Makeovers by Taz Tally. Wiley is the publisher and can be reached at wiley.com. The book sells for $29.99. The 10 digit ISBN is 0-471-741-74901-x.

Another book that takes each tool is the Adobe Photoshop CS2 Visual Encyclopedia. They may have one out for CS3. ISBN 0-7645-9860-0. This has excellent step-by-step directions as well as screen shots to walk you through the steps.

I have Ctein's book as well as How To Cheat in Photoshop. Great books, but not what I would recommend if you want to focus your learning on specific tools. These help more with specific tasks.

dc
Hi DCobb,

Thank you very much for your reply and all the informations, it is much appreciated. yes that's what I have decided to do, looking for specific tutorial, I've actually spend some time in this forum going from the last ever thread and look out for tips on restorations, I am saving them all in my files for reference should I need them, so far both books I've bought, I've had to put them away for now, as it is too advance for me, Ctein's book whilst visited his website and seeing his work I found to be fantastic and bought the book, when I've received the book, I found it completely empty, there is a lot of plug-ins to used to actually get some results, some he's explained but I found they are for Pros and not complete novice like myself.

I shall check out the two book you have suggested, as I mentioned to Katew, I am looking for tutorial with detailed step by step inforation.

Many thanks again.

regards

helen
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-04-2008, 01:41 PM

I recommend a book like PS Bible to get started. It describes every feature of the program - once you learn all the tools, you can take advantage of tutorials or retouching books.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration