RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Antique Photo Restoration Guidance

Old 08-13-2008, 10:11 PM

Re: Antique Photo Restoration Guidance

that's looking a lot better, nan.

if you're worried about being overly smooth, try a mask on the skin and some added noise to give the skin some grain. or, take your airbrush and set it to a very low opacity, like 3 or so, and set the density down to give a less than solid painting.

also, folks, dont forget about channels. i did an rgb split, an hsl split and a cmyk split. you might some useful help there.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-14-2008, 10:17 PM

i could probably do this 100 times and not do any better than this... maybe it was definitely a tricky one.

i started with some standard definition applications, my old 'find the image, then fix it'. so, a bit of brightness/contrast and a bit of clarify. levels and curves might also help, especially if you used good black and white point handlings.

after 'finding the image' i then did a LOT of cloning followed by some airbrush and push. so, pretty much my standard routine for something like this.

one extra tip on this type of work is, do a copy merge and paste to new layer somewhere in your work. turn off ALL other layers except this new one and the original. then simply turn the new one off and on and compare your work to the original. this will sometimes help you keep 'painting within the lines' and staying true to the original.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1800%27s-Restoration-Photo-1-k-1j-rp.jpg (158.4 KB, 42 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2008, 05:02 PM

Very clean Craig. You must have spent a lot of time on it. I've been somewhat criticized in the past for cleaning too much so I'm never quite sure how far to go. I've used noise on other restores and it does help. Haven't had much success airbrushing except on graphics. I'll try that soon.
Nan
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2008, 06:13 PM

hi nan,

well, how far is always determined by the client, unless of course they just tell you 'well, you decide.' i've seen em done all sorts of ways. my guess is, if we put our two versions together, we'd get something about right

i mostly use airbrushing to adjust shadows that have been wrecked, though not exclusively for that.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2008, 10:58 PM

Hi,

I've been a member of this forum for some time but have never posted so this is my first. This is a difficult image so I downloaded it just to practice. I did some basic level adjustments, contrast, burn, and highpass sharpening in photoshop and then used various blenders in Painter to try to enhance facial features and retain texture in the beard. This is my attempt!Clone of 1800's Restoration Photo.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2008, 11:32 PM

pretty good, heritag63. a bit dark on the gentleman, a bit noisy overall yet, and her face looks just a tad different, but pretty good. and trust me, it's not that i think mine is any better

now, some may think i was just kidding about combining mine and nan's attempts. i wasnt. so, i tried this myself. i think i got the best of both using an overlay blend mode with hers on the top layer. i removed too much of the 'character' and hers might have been slightly underdone. mine overdone and her's underdone combined = just right

this combo put back some of the character i had removed. and i really wouldnt expect this restore to get much better.

so, forgive me, nan, for not asking for your permission first. and well done on the restore
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1800%27s-Restoration-Photo-1-k-1j-me-and-nan-1rp.jpg (187.7 KB, 26 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2008, 11:55 PM

How funny Craig, I came on to post what I came up with combining yours with mine after your suggestion and found that you had already done it. I put your's on top and used soft blend. Then did a selective levels adjustment on just the clothing. Mine version is probably still too grainy.
Not bad combined.

Heritage, I like the way you brought out the eyes. Also what you did with her dress. I have an older version of Painter but have never learned to use it.
Nan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Antique couple combined.jpg (96.2 KB, 27 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2008, 11:59 PM

it looks good, nan. and how funny that we just both did this almost at the same time

so, the moral would seem to be here, take nan's instructions and mine, combine them and you shld get something worthwhile
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-17-2008, 12:13 PM

There is a phrase here in Brazil: "Comendo pelas beiradas", which literally translates to "eating from the edges".
The meaning is that if you are doing something difficult, do the easy parts first. After a few times, always doing the easiest part, when you get to the hard part you've pretty much "eaten" the whole thing.

What's this got to do with anything?
When restoring do the easy parts: General lighting, background, clothing - leave the faces till last.

My sequence, attached:
1) Lighting balance - there were light and dark patches all over, fixed with D&B;
2) Background and clothing - Lens blur for background, smudge for clothing;
3) Faces and hair - two different smudge brushes one for each, plus more lighting fixes to make the man's face combine better with the woman's;
4) Colourized - OK, maybe I went too far.

(I know some folks don't agree with "extreme" restoration like this as it's a bit too far from the original - depends on the customer)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1800's-Restoration-Photo-Rô1.jpg (99.3 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 1800's-Restoration-Photo-Rô2.jpg (93.4 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 1800's-Restoration-Photo-Rô3.jpg (99.2 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 1800's-Restoration-Photo-Rô4.jpg (99.4 KB, 31 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-17-2008, 09:48 PM

looks good, Ro. i wouldnt say you went to extreme here, especially considering how bad off the image was to begin with. the colorization is something i wouldnt have thought of for this image, but... cool
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration