RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Help with sun fade

Old 08-24-2008, 03:41 PM

Help with sun fade

Hi!

I'm new to the forums, but I hope I can get to know the guys and gals around here! I'm also fairly new to photo restoration, my family have asked me to have a go at a couple of B&W images of theirs before, which I really enjoyed doing and was really chuffed with the results (one I might post in the gallery after this post!) But, the other day I was asked by my mums freind about having a go at a colour photo, which I've never done before. I have a fair bit of experience with photoshop, but mainly for web design / graphic design, I'm afraid to say I've never really needed to work at something as delicate as this in my life! I'm finding trying to balance a natural colour quite difficult.

Anyway, I've had a little tickle, I was wondering if I posted what I've acheived so far if you guys could give me some tips. I'm a little stuck on the child on the left, who still seems a little blown out, what do you think? Also, you can see clearly on the before photo, that this photo must have been in some kind of frame as the right side has a natural colour to it, I thought that might help me, but it's just confused things in the end.

Anything you have to say on the photo is much appreciated, as you're all more skilled at this than I could hope to be. I'd appreciate any guidance and hope in future I can chip in and give the love back!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg colrest1.jpg (78.7 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg colrest2.jpg (90.9 KB, 83 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-24-2008, 05:23 PM
Patron

Re: Help with sun fade

BenC, welcome to RetouchPRO
I think you are off to a good start, these tutorials may give you some additional ways to enhance your efforts

Restoring an old photograph (A good starting place)
http://retouchpro.com/tutorials/?m=show&id=255

Skin Tone Correction - Unclipping (Blown out skin)
http://retouchpro.com/tutorials/?m=show&id=144

Get the Ring Out, How to repair damage caused by the sun and a picture frame.
http://retouchpro.com/tutorials/?m=show&id=245

How to Repair a Light Leak or Stain.
http://retouchpro.com/tutorials/?m=show&id=304

Enhancing Details In Unevenly Faded Pictures.
http://retouchpro.com/tutorials/?m=show&id=65

+ many more tutorials here: http://retouchpro.com/tutorials
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-24-2008, 06:31 PM

Thanks very much 0lbaldy!

I had a little look at a few of those tutorials, aswell as a deeper lok at the tutorial section on this site. The one about skintones was a real treasure trove, I think my skintones were much too yellow.

I added a bunch of layer masks to various parts of the image and messed with curves, colour balance and hue/saturation. I'm looking like this now, which is a small improvement, but getting there I think! I'm worrying a bit about it starting to look too un-natural. Colour is a toughy!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg colrest2.jpg (90.3 KB, 56 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-24-2008, 08:15 PM
Patron

WOW, Quite an improvement over the original! It looks like you are getting there with the colors.. Good job! keep on truckin..

To me it still looks a little harsh though.. If you have a shadow/highlight adjustment you might give it a go..
or do the blown out skin tutorial it will smooth things out pretty well

when you are happy with everything you might want to finish it off with a noise removal program and a slight sharpening..

Did I mention that you are doing great!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-24-2008, 09:24 PM

Thank so much for your encouraging words, 0lbaldy!

I had a little go at doing what you suggested, I'm up to here now. I added a touch with the shadow/highlight sliders and I tried to soften the blown out parts, but I was a little worried about being too heavy handed here.

I'm going to leave at this for now and get some sleep, it's been a long day staring at photoshop and I've got a stormer of a cold, but I'll be back to have a little more of a play tomorrow! I'm not sure if what I just did really made that much of a difference and I figure when my eyes are getting tired like that, it's best to leave it alone for a while!

Thank you again ever so much for your encouragement and helpful advice, absolutely invaluable!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg colrest2.jpg (92.9 KB, 39 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-24-2008, 10:33 PM
Patron

Great progress there, benc! There's a lot going on with this image that makes it a challenge - overall yellow cast, uneven fading, and blown out areas to mention a few. And it seems every correction raises a new problem. Led me to lots of fiddling and many layers both in Lab and in RGB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg colrest1.jpg (196.3 KB, 34 views)

Last edited by lurch; 08-24-2008 at 10:38 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-24-2008, 11:02 PM

Hi benc81!

Welcome to RetouchPRO!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurch
Great progress there, benc!........There's a lot going on with this image that makes it a challenge - overall yellow cast, uneven fading, and blown out areas to mention a few
... couldn't agree more with this!!!!

Before going for the colour correction, in cases like this I always try to balance exposure first since it's nearly impossible to add colour to the 'blown out' (or close) parts a the picture ....

I used Image>Adjustments> Shadow/Highlights and Levels applied to selections for that.

I used Hue/Saturation Selective Colors and blank Layers set to Color to correct/add colour to the image.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F_colrest1.jpg (197.8 KB, 73 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-25-2008, 01:31 PM

Thanks again everyone, Lurch and Flora, thank you for your advice also! I love everyones goes at this picture, I'm also a little relieved you thought this image presented a challenge Lurch and it's not just me!

Flora, your skin tones are absolutely beautiful, the work you did on the white, over-exposed areas was amazing! Am I right in taking your explanation as meaning you filled those in before you adjusted the colours to get rid of the general yellow tinge?

Thanks again everyone, you really helped me with motivation as well as all the great info!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-25-2008, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flora View Post
Hi benc81!

Welcome to RetouchPRO!!!

... couldn't agree more with this!!!!

Before going for the colour correction, in cases like this I always try to balance exposure first since it's nearly impossible to add colour to the 'blown out' (or close) parts a the picture ....

I used Image>Adjustments> Shadow/Highlights and Levels applied to selections for that.

I used Hue/Saturation Selective Colors and blank Layers set to Color to correct/add colour to the image.
Perfect, Flora, as always!

Maureen
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-26-2008, 12:13 AM

Nice work benc81, lurch & of course Flora.

I used a lot of selective curves adjustments, shadows/highlight, HSL & D&B.
Sometimes, I had to repeat some steps to get better results.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg colrest_chillin.jpg (196.6 KB, 36 views)

Last edited by chillin; 08-26-2008 at 05:30 AM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration