Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Hair Stain and Cloth Advice?

Old 08-26-2008, 05:34 AM
Hair Stain and Cloth Advice?

Hi All,

My first photo restore. I'm almost finished.

The hair has a stain creating a darker tone. Could anyone suggest a non destructive way to fix this?

Her jacket/white material could use help. Anyone know of a non destructive way to fix the cloth? The jacket looks like it needs only the small areas of brighter tones darkened some.

I've been trying to fix these issues but can't get the look right.

The full downloadable version of the original and my current repair are available here:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg GG GM Hair Stain Pre-NR.jpg (31.8 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg GG GM Clothing Pre-NR.jpg (16.7 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg GG GM 50k.jpg (51.5 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg GG GM Original.jpg (72.4 KB, 36 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-26-2008, 05:51 PM
Re: Hair Stain and Cloth Advice?

(Note: It would have been helpful to have seen the other post in the same forum and OlBaldy's excellent work on the image, here: Thread

Hi Dana,
It is difficult to alter the tonality too much due to the lack of detail within the image. However, it can be done in numerous ways. The method you end up using is totally up to you and what you are comfortable with.

Since you have already completed most of your restoration, some of your options are limited. Normally, we always start the restore by correcting tonality first. This allows us to recover as much of the image before we start fixing problems.

At your point in the process, essentially you are left with trying to darken pixels. You can try dodge/burn, using various blending modes, etc. However, the end result may be about the same. I did a real quick trial just to see what was there. I think you can still create a better overall tone in the image. Right now it lacks contrast differences normally found in a photograph. It's just sort of all the same. It could also use some sharpening, to increase the contrast at the edges of dark/light areas.

This looks like a good image for Flora or Ro to show you also. They are excellent at bringing out the best in a black&white image.

Last edited by TommyO; 08-26-2008 at 07:33 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-26-2008, 07:01 PM
Re: Hair Stain and Cloth Advice?

Thanks TommyO,

After seeing the tutorial here I wished I had started with it. When I saw Photoshop 7, I wasn't thinking "Photoshop" for some reason and passed by it looking for a Photoshop tutorial ever have one of those moments? I'm glad to know it's available.

I found another post on the forum here by Butch and gave it a try. I created a new blank layer and set it to multiply. I sampled some of the tone I wanted and then needed to darken it a bit. I then used the brush to fill in the areas. I then was able to adjust the layers fill to fine tune it. I did the same for her hair and brought out some highlights as well.

I did the similar thing for the white color except I set the blank layer to lighten. Instead of white I sampled the sepia that was as close to white.

I then used NR on the jacket and blurred the backdrop. The only thing left I can see trying is improving her skin without loosing detail. I'm not sure I can do to much in this area.

I'm happy with the result.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg My Great Great Grandmother Butterfield - Current.jpg (77.5 KB, 34 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration