RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Hello from Dallas

Old 09-04-2008, 06:53 AM

Hello from Dallas

I have been a member for a while but have mostly read posts. I inherited a box of photos from my mother. Most are ok but a few are damaged or weren't that good a photo to start with. I have played around at getting something usable from the attached but I have found it to be pretty challenging and to be honest, I am not sure who the men in the picture are. If it is from Dallas, it is unusual to have the snow.

How would the more knowledgable group go about working on a photo like this? In Photoshop, a levels layer reveals a lot more detail than the original.

Doug Stone
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img019.jpg (100.0 KB, 55 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-04-2008, 08:42 AM

Re: Hello from Dallas

Doug,
Welcome and hope you have good success with this one. It doesn't look like Dallas, but you never know.

I would examine the various color channels and either use the strongest one or build them up using Apply Image. Others also use a Channel Mixer layer to do something similar. Then convert to grayscale using the same Channel Mixer and enhance to taste. Much of the original fine detail is lost, so it may not ever look crystal clear.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-04-2008, 01:06 PM

It could be Dallas. We do get snow on occasion, and as old as this is, we used to get about one good snow a year, to every other year. There really isn't enough background in the picture to tell other than that though.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-04-2008, 08:43 PM

this is not a complete restore. i only did the 'find the image' part here. i started with a brightness/contrast adjustment layer, but instead of increasing the contrast, i decreased it slightly to get rid of some of the blown out white.

next, i used levels to restore the details more. do this to your own taste and dont forget you can do this by channels also.

then, i simply used a hue/sat adjustment layer to desaturate this. you could take this as little or as much as you want. you could also add or alter the sepai toning, if desired.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img019-1-k-1rp.jpg (137.6 KB, 26 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-04-2008, 08:47 PM

now, just as an additional note, if you think the men are too dark here, you could mask them down a bit before doing the levels. this would lessen the effect of the levels. or, you could just select the men and use another layer to lighten them up.

also, given the low detail in the faces, i'd be very tempted to double or even triple the overall size of the image before doing much else. the simple reason for this is, let's say you're trying to 'fix' someone's nose. if the nose is just one pixel big, it's going to give you very little lattitude. but, if it's 100 pixels, you can get some detail going there.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration