RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

feedback on restoration -

Old 09-10-2008, 09:23 PM

Re: feedback on restoration -

Update. I'm finding this a more difficult job than I thought. The picture was sooo bad!
But here is the second phase of it for what its worth.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oleboys-2ndfaze.jpg (96.5 KB, 135 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-11-2008, 11:12 AM

That bad? any advice? like maybe pitch it and start over?..lol
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-11-2008, 12:19 PM

I know that it's a difficult restore. Just two quick comments:

The stripes of the suit of the man on the left don't seem right, especially on the right arm and left leg.

The stock (back end) of the tommy gun of the same man is not right. Here is a picture of one:

http://www.innovativetactical.com/ca...82k9ah4r05.jpg

You could even cut and paste the missing part as a template.

Don't give up. It just needs a bit more work :-)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-11-2008, 12:49 PM
Patron

I think it is very kewl of you to present the different phases of your WIP! You have done some amazing restore work thus far and I feel that when you finish.. your client will be amazed and overwhelmed! Good job thus far!! Your bringing this image back to life!

Just one suggestion.. do not get the "There is just one more little thing that needs to be done" syndrome.. because there always is and there always will be..
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-11-2008, 06:05 PM

Thumbs up Re: feedback on restoration -

Thanks much for the encouragement. It is much appreciated and needed. This has to be the oddest piece of work for me.
Now you have to know that the client has written this photo off. He wants only the faces to remain in tact. So he has told me - do what ever I want to get a usable photograph. I can even change the entire background. All he wants is his buddys face and his to remain 'authentic' so how bout that for "play" rights!!!..
Due to my feeling and Im sure many others, photos are a solid structure visual memory- hands on. So I want to replace the photograph as much as the original as possible.

Veryweird - thank you. that's exactly why I put this up here. After staring for so long, I either begin to be too picky or justify. I thought the same thing as you said, but wasn't sure if it was me being too self critical, or self honest!
thank you.

Olbaldy - I so am like that. even after I send the photo back to the customer I still continue to work on it. its a darn illness it is! hehe

Im taking the day off today as restoration is taking its body toll
but I saved the tommy gun pic and am going to try to get that in there. AND find a pinstriped suit!!!...lol
I'm very lucky that the guy doesn't care how much I fudge with it, as Id hate to to attempt an actual restoration!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-12-2008, 09:28 AM

I fixed the arm and the gun. Now does anyone see my newest mistake?...lol

I noticed it but like was said, don't keep working it over!!!...lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gobs-orig.jpg (93.7 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg gobs-working.jpg (95.7 KB, 58 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-13-2008, 12:34 AM

well, trust me, if you dont make 1000 mistakes on this image, you're doing well. it's a stinker. it's a great photo and well worth the effort to restore, but it is a stinker.

one thing you need to watch on images like this is the faces. that's the main reason folks want restorations on things like this. they want to see the people. this image has a lot of damage and fading and some is in the face. i hope whatever technique you're using is on a blank layer so that you can go back and erase, if necessary.

also, i've been doing this one also (gotta love a good challenge) and i finally realized the character of the damage. this isnt always important but in this image it is. it gives you a better clue as to what is damage and what is image and with so much damage here, that can help quite a bit.

oh, and btw, the auto is roughly a '34, probably a packard, but could be another. there were several makes and models that all looked very similar back then. but, it's definitely 'prohibition era' vintage.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-13-2008, 06:46 AM

Thanks Craig,
Im very lucky the guy doesnt much care about the photo, only the faces and so far he is very happy!
The car a fellow member sent me a message that it might be a 37 packard so I did some searches and found the one I attached.
The mistake I was referring too was at the butt of the Tommi gun it appears to have a recoil pad...lol Its due to the image that was given to he here had to be resized and I didn't want to mess with any more so I left it there...
Id love to see what you have done on your side of the ship, you use the same software that I use, to which Im still learning on a daily basis! always something more to know!
Im going to hurry and post this as the last post was eaten by cyberspace and I had to rewrite ... I hate when that happens!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 37_Super_8-1.jpg (41.9 KB, 25 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-14-2008, 10:36 AM

It was such an interesting image that I had to have a go. The background could use a lot more cleaning, but I was going blind staring at the pixels, so here it is, warts and all :-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tommy-guns-1024.jpg (93.7 KB, 69 views)

Last edited by Verywierd; 09-14-2008 at 10:48 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-14-2008, 01:14 PM

Very cool! good job! Its tiring on the eyes innit?
I have to leave it for a time to regain my perspective.
But it is fun and quite a challenge!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration