RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

feedback on restoration -

Old 09-18-2008, 11:57 PM

Re: feedback on restoration -

hi kate,

that 37 packard could well be it. looks very close.

i got held up in my restoration attempt. we were without electricity for almost three days starting sunday due to the remnants of hurricane ike. but, am catching up now

i like what you've done there, veryweird. you've got some great detail there.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-19-2008, 06:54 AM

Welcome back Craig!
That was a cranky storm indeed! We of course didnt get anything to make the news up here (VT) but it did rain. Glad to hear you weathered and are back on track!

I agree, after many searches I found that to be the closest I could find.
She did a wonderful job I agree!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-21-2008, 05:19 PM

well, i'm not real happy with all of this. veryweird's faces are more defined and i like her wheel on the car. but, i've invested too much time not to post it

if veryweird hadnt changed her aspect ratio, i might have tried a meld of hers and mine just to see what could be
Attached Images
File Type: jpg original-tommyguns-1-1-k-1z1c-rp.jpg (191.9 KB, 51 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-23-2008, 07:49 AM

Craig! that is cool! Im glad you did post it! and yes the time that goes into this type of artists work is definitely eye bending to say the least! good job.

Well, I am finished. I see more and more to be fixed, and like its been said there is always something more that can be done. Soo Im gauging it on the customer, he likes it, thinks its amazing, so ITS DONE.
Here is the final. I'm so sure that I will post then work on it some more..lol just cant stay away!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gobs-original.jpg (94.7 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg gobs-restored.jpg (83.4 KB, 44 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-25-2008, 11:18 PM

thanks, kate

yup, this is the kind of image you could spend a year on and still find more to fix. it's badly damaged, the faces are faded and you just do the best you can. that the customer is happy is great! so, well done on that
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-26-2008, 07:28 AM

Thumbs up Re: feedback on restoration -

Thanks Craig much appreciated.

I have a little thing I do when I get, and I seem to get A LOT of photos that are just beyond repair! don't know why, but I do.
I take them and send them to other companies and see what they have to say about it and I have had three sent back saying that they are unrepairable. So that gives me a guide to know where I stand with what I am doing and the difficulty, in other words if I find three companies that wont do it, I know what ever I do isn't going to be perfect so I dont go so crazy over it!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-28-2008, 08:48 PM

that's a good idea, kate, albeit a bit expensive, i would think. in my time here on RP, i've run into very few images that are truly un-helpable. but yes, perfection shldnt be the goal. shoot for better, something that communicates what was once there as best as time allows.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-29-2008, 06:49 AM

Thanks Craig, but so far Ive not had to pay for an evaluation, so that's good. Its just a small guide line, more a mental placebo than anything, so I don't drive myself nuts on perfection when its an impossible task.

When someone sends me something like the two boys with gats I will first start by explaining that the restoration will not be an honest one, there will be the need to use some creative replacement, So far I have found that the faces of course are the most important. I did one that I just could not get. I sent it to her and said so, she loved it, I didnt. It looked more like a sketch than a photograph. She said she wanted to pay me and that she was going to take both and set them in a double frame so they would be side by side, for all to see.
I'll post them but I still dont like them at all.

Quick history - her cat had gotten on the mantel and knocked over a photograph of her mother as a young girl, after breaking this is the photo she found encased with in. bad cat? I think not, intuitive Id say!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Francis-color.jpg (31.9 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg Francis-BNW.jpg (41.9 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg Francis-scan.jpg (34.6 KB, 49 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-03-2008, 05:43 PM

hi kate,

you seem to have a knack for finding/getting hard to restore images

the results you posted look to be smudged up a bit. this is usually the result of over-cloning or smudging. the trick on fine cloning is to treat the clone brush like a paint brush. you turn the opacity down, like around 32 or less, depending and you 'brush' the clone in, coming from many angles to average and pick up the various tones surrounding the work. and on something like this portrait you've posted, i also will use a very small brush on clone, like down to 8 pixels and even down to 3 or so. below that, i switch to the 'push' tool and simply smudge paint a bit. at that small level it's much easier than clone.

i looked at the original of the woman in psp and did a brightness/contrast adjustment layer, basically just increasing the contrast to bring out some detail. that's where i'd start on this.

you may also find something quite interesting in this image. there's more color in there than i originally thought. try a color balance adjustment layer or a channel mixer, whichever you're more comfortable with and play with it a bit. i was somewhat surprised.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-05-2008, 06:33 AM

Oh Craig you are so right on that mark. Seems every one is a major challenge!

I dont even remember what exactly I did do with the francis one. I know that I used the spot remover, scratch remover.

I did as you stated above. I had played in the color management before but she didn't want it in color. she wanted the black and white. She was a funny bunny to work with, but the customer is always right.
She told me that it wasn't a color photo to start, she had done the scan her self and sent me the photos, so I had no control over the scanning process first off. then she said it was a black and white photo, when I (and you) can clearly see color. then she said she wanted to see more of her spectacles, to which with no power of pspx2 could I raise a hint of eye glasses!
I did as she requested and above is what I came up with, she said she was very very satisfied. so I left it at that. but it has left a bad taste in my mouth as I know its not a good job.
Plus if she tried to get it printed, to which I perfer to do that myself too, I have no idea of what came out of that!
It was to say the least a very difficult photo.
Let me see what you have done please.

Last edited by learninlady; 10-05-2008 at 02:42 PM. Reason: forgot to add
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration