RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

feedback on restoration -

Old 09-08-2008, 09:49 AM

Cool feedback on restoration -

I received this photograph to restore and would like to hear some comments on it.

Here is what I have so far the original (before) and the little bit Ive accomplished.

dcobb you did great without seemingly much effort. Ive been going pixel by pixel to restore this one! taking the hard way out...lol

Thanks olbaldy! think I have it right now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg original.jpg (63.1 KB, 243 views)
File Type: jpg 41.jpg (83.7 KB, 264 views)

Last edited by learninlady; 09-08-2008 at 01:35 PM. Reason: improper photo links
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-08-2008, 10:49 AM

Re: feedback on restoration -

A lot of damage in the red channel. While not a professional, I don't think this will be an easy fix.

dc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photobucket_ret..jpg (164.9 KB, 136 views)

Last edited by DCobb; 09-08-2008 at 12:19 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-08-2008, 11:59 AM
Patron

learninlady, welcome to RetouchPRO ..

Looks like you have a good start on an interesting project!

It would be nice if you posted your here and after photos into your post here at RetouchPRO (just hit the edit button on your first post), it is much better if you do not link to images on other servers, since those links can break and that makes the forum thread essentially useless for future readers.

~Click for Info on how to size and attach images to your posts~

~How to attach Files/Images to your Posts or Threads here~

After you post your less than 100K version, you could link to a site that is hosting a larger version.

In the mean time there may be some solutions to some of your problems on the Tutorial page (here) have a look around.. any problems just ask.. Looking forward to seeing your finished project and much more of your work. Hope you enjoy your visits here and make many new friends.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-08-2008, 04:47 PM

Learnin,
Looks like you're doing very well on this one... yes, these can be pixel by pixel. There simply are not many tricks to these. In one way it would be nice if a computer could restore what we see with our eyes. But, then again... when they can, we'll be out of favor with our friends & family or clients.

Best of luck, and maybe we can help with smaller parts or issues that arise.

Very neat image by the way. If you can tell us more about it, we'd be interested !
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-08-2008, 05:25 PM

Thanks Tommy. Discouraged at the moment due to a bad case of burning neck!...
Yes, this photo is kinda cool. A gentleman (on the right) sent it to me from Illinois. This was taken back in 1979 by one of those custom photographers that have different backgrounds and the clothing to match. It was called 'American Portrait Centers in San Pedro, Ca. but I cant find them any where via search. So I'm guessing they have since gone out of business. Since that time the gent has lost his long lost buddy and this is the only photograph he has to enjoy the memory, so he sent it to me to try to fix for him.
And Tommy, even tho I so hurt by 'pixel fixin', I am very happy and now encouraged to know that I am not the only one that is doing it this way..
sometimes I just feel like I'm going about it the hard way.

There is one thing, does anyone know what kind of sedan that is? caddy maybe? as Id like to find one to clone the wheel well.
THANK PROGRAMMERS and GOD for clone!!!!!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-08-2008, 07:28 PM

No idea on the sedan. You may try posting a separate thread just to ask about it.

Don't mean to imply that pixel by pixel is the right way, only that when an image is so badly damaged that there is not really any other choice. You end up really recreating much of the image, not restoring it.

Best of luck and don't forget to post the final image here !
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-08-2008, 09:14 PM

No, I did figure that. I told the gent that I could salvage most of it but at least 30% or better would be 'adlibed' as there wasn't enough information in the photograph to do a complete honest restore.
I'm doing my best and all he really cares about is being able to see him and his buddys faces, so Im fairly safe... lol
I've done tons of searches and found many vehicles that look similar and that will be fine as I had stated he doesn't much care about the background so that's in my favor for extra work.
Thanks for the help
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-09-2008, 09:33 PM

welcome to RP, learninlady.

and please, please, please, do NOT label your files 'original' or 'before' or 'after' and post them here. you realize how many 'original' files i have in my harddrive?
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-09-2008, 09:47 PM

ok, now on to the image...

you can take it to this level in about two minutes. after that, it's going to be a LOT of hand work, which you've already surmised. my tools for that are clone, airbrush and push (heavy smudge in photoshop). polaroid dust and scratch removal isnt going to do it, nor is noise reduction much, unless you do a LOT of masking.

but, that's what's fun about restoring, the hand work

oh, and the two minutes of work was contrast/brigtness, levels, a very light noise reduction, but not to really try and 'clean' the image and a hue/sat layer to reduce the sepia a bit.

also, i'd strongly suggest, if you can get a very high res scan of this, it might help quite a bit, especially when you start working around the faces.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg original-tommyguns-1-1-k-1rp.jpg (193.2 KB, 92 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-09-2008, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin View Post
welcome to RP, learninlady.

and please, please, please, do NOT label your files 'original' or 'before' or 'after' and post them here. you realize how many 'original' files i have in my harddrive?
Retract. trying to be a smartie and didnt come out right.
It make much sense to mark the photo as such. I myself have that same issue as with 30 photographs, they are all going to be called original!... so how will that be smooth?!!!
wont be! hehe.
Here I usually have 1-original and go from there. but it still gets confusing. Im just going to have to stop being lazy and name my darn photos!...hehe
thanks Krae for pointing that out

Last edited by learninlady; 09-10-2008 at 04:32 PM. Reason: sounded bad.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration