RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

How do I proceed?

Old 09-10-2008, 09:33 AM
Patron

How do I proceed?

The attached photo is about 110 years old. As you can see, it is not in very good shape but I think that it can be salvaged with the proper techniques but I'm stuck on how to proceed.

The original was scanned at 300 ppi RGB. First I applied the decrack action to try to remove the dark spots. Next I used the spot healing brush and clone brush to remove more of them.

I then applied a contrast-enhancing curve with the blend set to multiply at 80% opacity, converted to grayscale using Black and White set to maximum black, then a Dodge & Burn layer to enhance the contrast.

The sky needs lightening but dodge & burn doesn't work well. Does anyone have a recommendation? I would like to keep the contrast from the multiplied curves layer but that seems to be causing the problem.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SchoolPicture.jpg (194.9 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg SchoolPicture-InProcess.jpg (197.8 KB, 74 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-10-2008, 11:31 AM

Re: How do I proceed?

Hi there

There is no way around the need to brighten the photo.This will of course bring out all the damage.

I did a quick example below... by brightening the overall picture the damage is extensive but that does not mean that with a Hires version the damage could not be removed...There is just no quick fix.... Lots of clone and healing brush work will be required.

I spent a few minutes on the sky and roof but thats all.

But the bottom line is it can be done and done quite nicely with time.

Butch
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7.jpg (99.8 KB, 78 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-10-2008, 11:35 AM

I think you are way too dark. I used the blue channel with a curves adjustment to get to this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SchoolPicturecopy.jpg (99.8 KB, 55 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-10-2008, 11:36 AM

This is essentially done with the Auto setting of SmartCurve. Some increased contrast and a dodge/burn layer (50% gray at Soft Light). The image is desaturated but left in RGB mode. Plenty of noise will still have to be taken care of. Spot Healing Brush and Clone Stamp were used to this point. Some selective sharpening was applied to the people.

Juergen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg School.jpg (197.3 KB, 61 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-10-2008, 04:04 PM

Since you have already put in a fair amount of time, go back and examine your adjustment layers and see which will allow you to mask the sky. Otherwise, you may have to create a pattern from a section of the sky, enhance/improve it to your liking, then use it to repair the sky.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-10-2008, 04:34 PM
Patron

Thanks to each of you for your suggestions. I have rescanned the image at 1200 ppi with levels adjustment activated and have much more to work with. I still can't figure out how to deal with the black fungus spots w/o lots of cloning/healing. Decrack doesn't work satisfactorily because as it cleans the dark spots it also creates white specks. When I clean the white specks it enlarges the dark spots.

What am I missing? What would you do? Thanks in advance to all who reply.

UPDATE: Just wanted to make sure that Daviskw was properly thanked since he was the reason that I rescanned. I was unhappy with what I had but wasn't certain that I could secure the photo to rescan it. Hawkeye showed me what could be done with what I had and that cinched it. Rescan it was!

Juergen's mention of an auto setting made me think to try SilverFast's autolevel despite the fact that many restorers recommend scanning with auto options turned off.

TommyO reminded me of how to fix the sky. I hadn't gotten to that point but knew it would be problematic.

Curtis
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SchoolPhoto.jpg (198.0 KB, 51 views)

Last edited by curtism; 09-10-2008 at 07:08 PM. Reason: omitted proper crediting for assistance
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-15-2008, 11:34 AM

Sometimes there is no way but the hard way.

Good Luck
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration