RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

replace missing background

Old 09-19-2008, 12:04 AM

Re: replace missing background

Quote:
and cant find out how to on psp is to snag the image in different shapes, like with this I would have used oval,
not sure what you mean there... you mean make a selection with pre-set shapes like ovals, squares, etc? if so, pick the selection tool with your image open. in the 2nd toolbar down from the top, you shld see a horizontal field which has a label over it saying 'selection types'. click in that field and you'll see the various shapes with which you can make a selection.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-19-2008, 06:57 AM

Red face Re: replace missing background

I am so bad at explanations, but I will give it a go

In PE4 all I had to do is to choose the shape (0val) click around the area I wanted to save, then click on the background and change it however, then click back on the photo and set it where I wanted that and save, done. no layers or such. as I am not sure of how that is done, when it gets into too many steps, I get a bit lost.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-21-2008, 05:34 PM

i think what you're talking about is selections, kate. you do pick a shape and then drag across the image to make a 'selection'. that selection is then your active part of the image and any changes you attempt with filters or other tools, will only affect the selected area. you can select different shapes to make your selection with.

the selection tool is in the vertical toolbar on the left side of psp xi. it's the third one down from the top. it is one of three tools there, so you may not see the selection tool unless you click on the tool and get the drop down menu. there's also a 'freehand selection' and the 'magic wand' in that slot.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-23-2008, 07:54 AM

yes, Craig. I have tried to use it and for some mental block I cant seem to get it right, I will have to practice. I am spoiled by PE4 unfortunately and now have to switch gears. which for me is difficult. I find that if I read all the directions its too tedious and I get confused. Hands on and trial and error seem to be my best learning tool
Ah, magic wand has always been my worst enemy, so if I play with it for a bit then Im sure it will be my best friend! funny how that happens with me.
thanks so much for tring to help.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-25-2008, 11:10 PM

hi kate,

if you get confused, go back before you got into trouble and just look for words that you dont understand, find the definition that fits what you're doing and use it in a few sentences. then, like you said, practice, practice, practice.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration