RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

50 year old photo

Old 09-25-2008, 10:41 PM

50 year old photo

Hi everyone Just hopped on board, and see so many experts around here and I am sure I'm going to learn alot about digital photography.
I hope some can help me how I can restore and retouch this photo. The short guy was my brother who also died that year. And now as you may notice the picture was torn up and attached together with scotch tape that stained the picture. My favor to ask is can someone suggest me what and how can I restore and retouch this picture as close to the original? I thank everyone in advance. Oh just for the heads up I don't have an idea how to use the photoshop but I'm eager and willing to learn. Picture is attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Elmer and Rico Enhanced.jpg (91.0 KB, 228 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-25-2008, 11:25 PM

Re: 50 year old photo

i'll never quite understand why folks insist on putting the tape on the front of the photo

welcome to RP, 20x20.

if you have photoshop then do use that. if you dont have it, get the gimp and install it and we can go from there.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-26-2008, 02:22 AM

Thanks Kreallin for the quick response. I guess the tape was the only procedure during those days. Actually I was so lucky to get a copy of this, I didn't even know it exist, my mom kept it so long, and due to her serious illnes of parkinsons, my brothers and sisters are sorting her stuff out and we find so many pictures even during her high school and college years which are in good shapes and forms but some of them might need restoration due to fading (sepia and black and white). As for the photoshop My friend installed his photoshop cs3 in my laptop, unfortunately he himself is sitll in a learning process how to use it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-26-2008, 08:45 AM

Some more work needs to be done.

The tape is best dealt with by desaturating the image(Channel Mixer > Monochrome).
Next the lightness can be blended via Levels (Layer 2).
Some cloning (Clone Stamp and Spot Healing Brush) will take care of remaining lines and the tear (Layer 3).
The heads are slightly lightened and a bit of contrast is added by painting on a 50% gray layer set to Overlay (Layer 4).
Layer 5 is Merge Visible of all below and also set to Overlay at 20% opacity.

All is done in PSE5. The steps will be similar in CS3. This will hopefully get you on your way.

Juergen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled-3.jpg (198.7 KB, 142 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-26-2008, 11:57 AM

Thank you for the response. I'm going to do as per your instructions. Can't wait to see the result of this project. thanks again. Peace.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-26-2008, 11:57 AM

Had a very quick play with your photo, and this is about as good as I could get it in the time I had free.

The picture's obviously been "worked" on by someone earlier, which has removed some of the original detail, so I'm afraid there's a deal of "creative cloning" in my version.

Bit pressed for time, so if you need details of what I did, let me know and I'll post them later.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E&R.jpg (178.2 KB, 138 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-26-2008, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Richardson View Post
Had a very quick play with your photo, and this is about as good as I could get it in the time I had free.

The picture's obviously been "worked" on by someone earlier, which has removed some of the original detail, so I'm afraid there's a deal of "creative cloning" in my version.

Bit pressed for time, so if you need details of what I did, let me know and I'll post them later.

Gary I find it 500% better than what it is.I'm amazed what a software can do nowadays, I sound like a 56 year old man don't I? That is why I'd like to treasure this photo. You really did a great work and I appreciate it more than you know, the next thing I need to ask is how or where can I get a book to undestand the lingo like layers, channel mixer, in short like a terminology book or something, I've been browsing through internet and didn't find one. Anyway, again I do thank you I've seen some tremendous results with this photo and I'm amazed. thank you very much.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-26-2008, 04:41 PM

What terms you use to describe things will depend on which image editing programme you use. There is some variation on some tools between the different programmes.

Most (but by no means all) people here are using some version of Photoshop, and their terminology tends to be the standard used by most people here.

For a basic rundown of all the tools, concepts and functions, any of Deke McClelland's books are a mine of information. He has versions for all the major Photoshop editions.

For retouching, you can't get better than Katrin Eismann's books. They're pretty much standard reading for this kind of work.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-27-2008, 06:00 PM

Thanks Gary, sorry for the late response, oh yeah, I found some of the defenition on the help menu of the cs3 and I'm brushing up, well you know how it is, brain molecules doesn't adhere compare to my younger age. Anyways, that's what I forgot to ask you, how did you enahced the photo and what do I have to do to make what you did, Cause I really like to challenge myself to restore this photo. Thank you. Kudos to you.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-29-2008, 03:01 AM

Hi 20x20.

Sorry I'm a bit late getting back to you.

I'm gonna be out for the rest of the day, so I'll post details of what I did when I get back tonight.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration