RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Colour Fix Doozy!

Old 09-30-2008, 03:18 AM

Re: Colour Fix Doozy!

Thank you OlBaldy

1.Because we are making a lot of adjustments to color I suggest beginning by changing the mode to 16 bit under Image Mode 16 Bit.
2. Create a new layer. Change the blend mode to color. Now under the Filter menu Blur click Average.
(untitled 2)
Lower the opacity of the layer to about 60% where you see the background become less yellow and more neutral.
3.control alt shift E to jump all to a new layer.
4.Open a curves layer and with the black eye dropper click on the darkest part of the girls hair. Use the white eye dropper on the background.
(untitled 3)
5. Open a hue saturation layer and raise the master color level till you like the saturation in the dresses. (judge by the most saturated points, we’ll fix the rest next.)
6.control shift alt E
7.Copy the layer and change blend mode to color. Bring up the eye dropper and make it set to 5X5 average. Select a portion of the blue dress where you like the color. Switch to the brush tool and begin to paint the entire dress.
Add a layer mask and paint out the flowers on the dress to be sure they keep they’re pink color.
8. Now repeat the same for the pink dress.
(Untitled 4)
9. Now jump to a new layer again and pick a skin tone from the face to use to paint on the arms and necks. Remember to set the blend mode to color.
K, your done. Now you can use hue saturation to even out the hair color and start on your repairs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled-2.jpg (94.4 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg Untitled-3.jpg (77.6 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Untitled-4.jpg (77.9 KB, 34 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-30-2008, 09:21 AM

The bad news is I rang my customer today with a quote to do the work. She said, "no thanks, I thought it would be about $50......so just print it as is". (Too many third world offshore operators in competition, methinks) I figured it would take me about 5/6 hours to pristine this job. Who would squig on these bucks to restore a memory? But there you go......Am I over-estimating?

I've rarely had an image to restore that matches the "textbook" experience. They are usually much more difficult - like in this image with the polka dots getting in the way of an easy (and thus inexpensive) fix.

Good news is I'm so glad I made this post (one of my few) as it has turned out to be a magic learning experience for me, and I hope too for other members. I'm always amazed at the different ways you can approach a problem to achieve a result. How great that you would share that time with me! Can't tell how much I appreciate your posts. You've added to my learning curve. (which in Photoshop is always steep and up!).

Crazyfly1 - Thanks for laying down such clear instructions on how to achieve your result.

I'd love to say that I would continue with this job, but I now have 5 more landed on my desk, .......so frustrating to let it go. Would have loved to do it! This is one I shall now fiddle with based on your suggestions, lap top where it was designed to be, at night, in my jim-jams, while half-watching re-runs of some old movie, with my hubby saying, "whatyudoinluv"?. Well, any advice on how to explain to your significant other photoshopaddictionism?

Last edited by Liz; 09-30-2008 at 10:01 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-30-2008, 09:24 AM
Patron

Wm. Blake, Thank you sir.. Very comprehensive instructions.. If I do not have the average blur in PS7 do I need this step or would there be a workaround
Attached Images
File Type: jpg no_average.jpg (40.5 KB, 14 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-30-2008, 01:35 PM

Slightly different (less delicate) would be; set the eye dropper to its highest sample area and then sample an area you believe to be color cast (the background).
Create a new blank layer and fill it with that color with the paint bucket. Invert that layer and switch the blend mode to color. Drop the opacity until your background is nuetral. Laying down a point sample with the eye dropper (shift, click) and then keeping an eye on the info pallette can be hepful here. For me, 48% brought R G and B to 215.

Same kind of thing, just that average blends every color into one so you tend to drop out just the color that the image is really leaning toward, instead of picking one yourself. This is the reason for the wide point sample. (in cs3 it's 101X101)
I just tried this and after adding the sat back with hue sat and then seetting the curves white and black points it gives a very nice result.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-30-2008, 04:55 PM
Patron

So, if I understand it correctly, in Cs3 the 'blur>average' filter used the way you did acts like a one or two button cure to removing a color cast. Kewl, Thanks for the explanation
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-02-2008, 02:20 AM

Hi OlBaldy,
As usual good advice from crazyfly1 and Verywierd.
Regarding the color cast!! on the layer that you have inverted I also use the soft light blend mode as well, this tends to give you a photoshop interpretation of what it perceives as a neutralized color cast. you can then adjust the opacity, h/s, levels, curves etc., if neccasary.

Barry.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-15-2008, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarbees View Post
My thought was that the skin tone color looks off so fix that first and the correct colors for the dresses might look closer to right. Working with the arms I worked on color hue and color balance sliders until the skin looked right. Then I enhanced the resulting dress colors. I used a paint brush blue / red respectively to get the colors here
This fix is very good indeed, the dresses colour are very strong and the skin tones correct.

helen
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-16-2008, 12:23 PM

I think best way to fix the color if you change mode to Lab color

this will leave you will 2 channels and then you go to curves, you just need to slide that thingy on both a,b you will get great result fast and easy. and change back to RGB if some color is too much just change hue.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-16-2008, 11:07 PM

I removed color cast with curves using the white and black dropper tool. I then fixed the White balance with the levels grey slider. After that, I selected the blue, red, and skin tone from the girls and made a solid color fill for each color with a color blending mode. I then used the mask to paint in the colors.

I then used crazyfly1's method in a different way. I used the average filter and then changed the blending mode to multiply with a 23% op. This gave the whole image a darker effect as well as giving the background a off white feel. This added a lot to the image as opposed to a plain white background.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img607A-small-add.jpg (98.1 KB, 22 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration