RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Colour Fix Doozy!

Old 09-29-2008, 03:54 AM

Colour Fix Doozy!

Hi all,
I'm seeking help on how best to colour fix these little girls spotted dresses. As I don't have my customer's permission to post this photo, I have blurred their faces. Hope that's enough. The rest of the image is no drama for me to fix so please don't focus on that.

So the problem as I see it is to recreate one little girl's dress red and the other blue. I tried curves but no go. It was pretty patchy given the image is pretty discoloured.

So then I was thinking of two ways
(a) Do a colour change selection. I tried this today but it returned me sloppy results. I saturated the image first to get a better selection. (But then, I could have been the sloppy one given I'm unfamiliar with this tool).
(b) Somehow create a mask. When I did a Threshold Layer I could see it could isolate the spots on the dresses nicely and possibly could create a mask to then do a hue/sat layer. Then I didn't know how to convert that to a mask which I could then tweak.

Even if I convert to greyscale and recolour which I'm happy to do I still have to isolate these spots on the dresses.

OK that's about the extent of my knowledge on how to fix this problem and I'm hoping that you kind people can perhaps give me some detailed recipe steps on how to go about this one.

Thanks a mill in advance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img607A.jpg (120.2 KB, 188 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-29-2008, 08:13 AM

Re: Colour Fix Doozy!

I played with it in hue/saturation/lightness and seem to get a better color. I'm sure if you try that with more tweeking you can find the shades you are looking for.
Also after going thru the above run thru curves and see how much more you can do!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img607A2.jpg (97.5 KB, 93 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-29-2008, 08:55 AM

Hi Liz,
I used 2 adj. layers, one for the blue dress, one for the red dress, with a layer mask for each dress, selective color/neutrals.

Ray
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2-dress.jpg-100k.jpg (99.8 KB, 111 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-29-2008, 08:59 AM

Ooooo Ray! very nice!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-29-2008, 02:24 PM

The problem is, that due to staining and emulsion fading, the blue and red colours on the dresses have become contaminated with (many) other colours in patches. Any kind of general colour adjustment other than a total paint over, which would look flat and unrealistic, still leaves areas of discolouration.

I'm sure that there is some clever curve layer technique that can fix this, but I opted for the simple method of zooming in to pixel level and using "replace color" to select and change each discolouration tone at a time, with one layer for the blue and one layer for the red. Using black masks, I painted over the dresses as appropriate. A few small spots were total grey so they had to be touched up with a brush.

As this is just an example, I did not fix every last pixel.

Like D&B, this is a slow, tedious method, but it does work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fix-img607A-03.jpg (93.8 KB, 69 views)

Last edited by Verywierd; 09-29-2008 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Typo
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-29-2008, 03:05 PM

My thought was that the skin tone color looks off so fix that first and the correct colors for the dresses might look closer to right. Working with the arms I worked on color hue and color balance sliders until the skin looked right. Then I enhanced the resulting dress colors. I used a paint brush blue / red respectively to get the colors here
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img607A.jpg (199.9 KB, 58 views)

Last edited by swarbees; 09-29-2008 at 03:13 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-29-2008, 04:42 PM

Thank you all. This is such a treat to live on the other side of the world....wake up.....and have some options before I go to work.
Learnin Lady and Swarbees - Good of you both to have a go at this. You certainly got better colour than I did with my attempts. How would you keep the polka dots white though?
Des 151 - A good result. I had a quick try of your suggestion immediately. Colour's are good. I had never thought of using selective colour/neutral. I did find my result a bit patchy here and there like around the tiny one's tummy. I'll have another play with your suggestion when I get to work.
Very Weird - Ah! I see by your fine results that I definitely was looking for the quick global fix which is pretty well impossible with, as you've assessed, the various discolouration in the dresses. I'm so unfamiliar with this tool that I'll read up on it now. I seem to remember I can widen the selection with the + option.

Thank you all again for taking the time to help me out. Yesterday I was feeling pretty hopeless about it, but to-day I can see by your results that it can be done, and done well. Hope renewed!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-29-2008, 09:38 PM

I copied the layer and used the average filter then inverted the layer and used color blend mode at 50% opacity. this pulled out the yelloow cast.
I used 3 more layers one for each dress and one for the skin. blend modes are color again sample good area of the dress or skin tone and then paint it on. This basically just pulls out the cast or color shift in the color your painting in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img607A.jpg (98.4 KB, 60 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-29-2008, 11:11 PM
Patron

Mr Blake, very impressive colors while keeping the polka dot/flower detail. I have looked very hard for a filter called "average" in my old PS7 and am unable to find it.. Am I missing something.. like the filter? How about a step by step tutorial for us neophytes who do not understand how you paint the good colors on without painting the dots N flowers.. Is it as simple as just paint in between the dots/flowers or is it global lay down of the 'good' color?

Did I mention I like your outcome? A LOT!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-30-2008, 02:22 AM

OB, it's BLUR -> Average
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration