RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Strange coloration problem

Old 10-06-2008, 06:07 PM
Patron

Strange coloration problem

Attached is a hi-res scan of a 50 year-old photo which was displayed behind glass for quite a while. I cropped the photo to avoid dealing with the fading and I ran Digital ROC and Neat Image to get to where I now am but haven't the slightest idea of the proper technique to get rid of the red splotches. Suggestions?

I'm more interested in the procedure rather than actually having someone do it for me. Thanks in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ANMFam.jpg (191.4 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg ANMFam-Correcting.jpg (190.4 KB, 78 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2008, 06:23 PM

Re: Strange coloration problem

Curtism,

There are a couple things you could do. You could clone/heal them out. Another is to make a Hue/Saturation adjustment layer; select Red from the drop down menu. Use the eyedropper to select the red spot. Move the saturation slider to the left. Invert the H&S mask and paint over the spots with a soft, white brush.
Another is to make a empty layer at the top of the layer palette stack, set the blending mode to Color, select a soft Brush, Alt/Option click on a color next to the offending spot and with a 40-80% soft brush paint over the spots.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2008, 07:36 PM
Patron

ktg222,

Quote:
Another is to make a empty layer at the top of the layer palette stack, set the blending mode to Color, select a soft Brush, Alt/Option click on a color next to the offending spot and with a 40-80% soft brush paint over the spots.
Thanks for the quick response! I tried your method above and, with some practice, it will work just fine. Most of my restorations have been with b&w photos so I'm not up to speed with color problems such as this one.

Now just some quick spotting and cloning and it will be ready to go.

Curtis
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ANMFam-Correcting.jpg (182.4 KB, 34 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2008, 10:36 PM
Patron

Curtis, for this image a very fast method would be as follows. Duplicate the background layer, the do Image>Apply Image. When the dialog box comes up select the Background as the Source Layer , Green as the Channel, Blending mode to Normal opacity 100% and click OK. The image will be grayscale. Change the Blend Mode of the layer from Normal to Luminosity. Now add a blank layer on top of the stack with the Blend Modde set to color. Choose a Brush tool with a soft edge and 100% opacity. Hold the Alt key down to sample a good color adjacent to the red, release Alt and paint over the red. You can also use the color swatch palette to select a green color and paint over some of the foliage.
Good luck with the restoration.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-07-2008, 04:25 AM
Patron

Thanks, Murray. I'll give that one a try also. That's the beauty of Photoshop -- many paths to an end!

Curtis
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration