RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

60 year old photo

Old 10-16-2008, 01:11 PM

60 year old photo

here is the only photo of my father as a youngster who passed away recently. He was in his 70's so I figure it is approx 60 - 65 years old.

upon trying to restore myself I found colour in it, I believe this had to have been hand coloured. maybe wrong but I don't believe they had colour back then.

I have tried and tried to restore but find it always turns out doll like composite.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

link to hi res file

http://greatcanadadigital.com/restore/dad.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dad1.jpg (67.2 KB, 113 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-16-2008, 03:45 PM
Patron

Re: 60 year old photo

Yes, the image looks like it was toned as part of the post development processing. My approach would be to do Image>Apply Image and select the Red channel, Normal Mode. This will give you a good grayscale starting image from which you could effect the necessary repairs and when you are done if you want you can color it by hand. There is not a lot of dine detail so you would only need a handful of layers to colorize it.
Good luck with the restoration.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-16-2008, 07:07 PM

ontwolf,
Murray is right, as the red channel shows the best contrast and has as much detail as any of the channels. In fact, blue is useless. So, that is the best starting point.

Regarding the "doll" look, that usually comes from our trying to fix too much about the image. It needs a grainy look in order to look old; so, leave some in or add it back. It can be hard to match the proper grain, so some experimentation is always needed. And normally, a little hand toning to regain some of the proper shadows on the skin and clothes is usually required.

Below I attached a quick snapshot of the red, green and blue channels.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dad001_channels.jpg (198.2 KB, 56 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-16-2008, 08:01 PM

I have taken out the color with the Channel Mixer, then duplicated the result twice, set one of the layers to Overlay, the other one to Multiply, both at 50% opacity. That gives some more 'substance', mostly contrast.

Lots of cloning with the Clone Stamp and the Spot Healing Brush, followed by dodging and burning. The Spot Healing Brush seemed to be rather effective when trying to keep the texture even as the damaged areas were restored.

At the end I repeated the Overlay and Multiply layers as described above. The noise was partially removed with NeatImage and the Dust and Scratches filter. All was done in PSE 5 (except for NeatImage, which in my case is stand-alone).

Juergen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled-2.jpg (199.8 KB, 71 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-16-2008, 10:11 PM

Thanks guys for the quick responses, very helpful. You achieved more than I did in 3 attempts. Will post my end result when finished for input
John
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-16-2008, 10:12 PM

My try was a lot the same as Juergen except I eliminated the color by copying the red channel into the blue channel. Much of the problems were in the blue channel (also green but I didn’t want to loose too much detail). Then I de-saturated and set about to Clone and Spot heal the major damage. I did a little dodge and burn to put some of the
“roundness” back into the face and limbs and this is where I ended up---
Sandi
Attached Images
File Type: jpg swdad1.jpg (77.2 KB, 69 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-17-2008, 08:42 PM
Patron

Couldn't help wondering what got spilled on this photo to make such a mess . Like the others, I worked on a black and white version. First off, though, I took care of the silvering haze - used curves through a layer mask made by subtracting the (relatively) good red channel from the blue, which showed the silvering most. Then, in a b/w adjustment layer, lightened yellow to pretty much get rid of the yellow splotches. After that I used mostly the patch tool to get rid of the bleached-looking spots, cloned some, and sepia-toned it. Somewhere in there I did a very gentle de-noise with Noise Ninja - left a lot of roughness to be consistent with an old picture. (Whaddaya mean, old? I have a bunch of photos taken of me at that age that are older than that one!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dad.jpg (199.6 KB, 58 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-18-2008, 12:48 AM

Hi again folks:

Again thankyou for all your input, you folks are all fantastic, not sure what was spilt on picture. As for age of picture I know it was taken in the late 1930's to early 1940's.

Now for my attempts, my mistake was I was always trying to restore in colour and not using the channels, you enlightened me by doing so in bXW . I did the following on attached

I duplicated layer
I removed the yellow colour cast by neutralizing in matchcolour
I duplicated layer in screen mode twice
I replaced the blue channel with the green channel
I did an adjustment layer and converted to bXW and used healing brush and clone stamp tool
dodged and burned image
Applied layer masks to eyes, teeth and shorts
Added some noise
Added colour

Again thankyou so much you have taught me so much in such short time.
looking forward to contributing if I can with other posts
John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dad_colour rp.jpg (75.3 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg dad_bXw.jpg (73.2 KB, 43 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration