RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Old picture

Old 10-21-2008, 10:32 AM

Old picture

I have a lot of photos from when we were younger - unfortunately my parents didn't take very good care of them...Can photos' like this really be brought back to life when they are:

Creased
Discolourated
Have stains
Scratches etc..

P.S. I'm the youngest on the right.

Also how long do you think it will take me to learn photoshop, then restoration to restore all my pictures? I am a quick learner and good on the computer.

When scanning old photos, should I scan them on the best setting, so that each is ~10MB? I'm confused because when you upload to this forum the maximum size is 100kb?

Many thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kids5.jpg (21.1 KB, 118 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-21-2008, 01:09 PM
Patron

Re: Old picture

welcome to RetouchPRO have fun, learn a lot, join in, any problems just ask!

Yes, they can generally be brought back to life! The sample you posted could probably benefit a lot just using the clone tool!

What photo manipulation software do you have now?

Scan at the highest resolution, in color, with all automatic settings turned OFF to facilitate working on a high quality copy of your pictures in Photoshop or any other programs

After you post your less than 100K version here, you could also post a larger version at ImageVenue.com (3Meg max, free) or pixentral.com (2Meg max, free) or photobucket.com (1 Meg max free,... 5 Meg PRO)-- then post a link here in this thread to the site that is hosting your larger version.

Attaching Files or Images to Threads or Posts

Size and quality for Attached Images!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-21-2008, 04:17 PM

Yes, definitely post a larger version of the image for the restoration guys to work with. You can also use roflsaurus.com for hosting your images. It's totally free (no need for a pro account or anything, even anonymous uploading allowed) and you get 1GB of storage or so.

P.S. I'm not trying to spam if it sounds that way!

Last edited by anothermethod; 10-21-2008 at 04:19 PM. Reason: no spam P.S.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-21-2008, 05:33 PM

OK, thanks for the info, I've reduced the size of the original pic and uploaded onto photobucket:

http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo277/EJG1/Kidsc.jpg

At present I don't have any software, but I can get Photoshop CS3 or CS4 for £140 ($280) as I work at the university - instead of paying the full rate, so I'm thinking of doing that?

I've always wanted to teach myself how to manipulate and restore photos etc...but that is all I would be using the software for - as a hobby, so it's still quite a lot of money...may ask Santa to come early this year!
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-21-2008, 07:43 PM
Patron

You might want to check this thread (Free Photo Editors and Free Painting Software) for some free programs before you get your feet wet with a substantial learning curve... (I believe the 'GIMP' program tries to emulate Photoshop)

I would also check with people at the University who use Photoshop and see if they can mentor you
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-21-2008, 08:42 PM

EJG,
Good advise from all the others. Many people will learn on GIMP or Adobe Elements, then upgrade to CSx once they are ready. The learning curve is usually about 2-3 months to get fairly good at learning non-destructive methods for basic fixes. Once you get to that level you realize there are about 18 more months of reading, studying, practice, etc to do before you feel like showing anything off. (more or less depending on how many hours per week you have)

I wanted to mention though, you should also consider splitting the images into piles. Those you want to restore and those you just want to archive. Archive them all of course, but consider newer methods of archiving them. Look at photographing rather than scanning them. It is faster, produces nearly as good an image, and is much easier to manage overall. All you need is a good camera, tripod, diffused lighting and a little stand of some kind to hold each image perpendicular to the camera. Set the camera to macro, no flash, single point focus. Experiment on one image a few times and adjust your white balance and exposure. Then simple shoot, replace photo, shoot. You can do about 20 photo's per minute. You can easily stop and resume later. Once done, simply download them all to the computer, naming them in one batch. Of course, scan the more critical ones, as this seems to capture a bit more of the fine detail you may need. But, you'll be surprised with the detail the camera provides. More than scanners 5 years ago. Some images will not stay flat on the stand; this can easily be corrected later in Photoshop using the lens correction filter.

Hope that helps !
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-21-2008, 09:20 PM
Patron

This thread may help if you are scanning photos with cracks and scratches: Scanners, textures, scratches, cracks, silvering

A few years ago I cataloged over 3,000 prints and a couple thousand slides from my bygone days and opted for using a camera like Tommy said.. The only person I had to satisfy was myself and they did not have to be museum quality.. I figured just good enough for web viewing as they would be in albums on the web for the family but quality good enough for a 4X6 print... I found that organization was a great benefit. I separated everything first by the year taken, then by the month and only did a month at a time.. leaving everything set up between shoots and the work area was restricted from everyone else because of all the piles and boxes sitting around.. took about three months of seemingly dis-organized chaos just to copy everything.. then the work started.. getting organized again and learning Photoshop which my son had just got for me for this project

Oh yea, here is a quickie of your picture just for incentive... Good Luck!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kidsc.jpg (192.1 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg quickie.jpg (189.7 KB, 91 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-22-2008, 04:35 AM

Thanks both of you for your replies. I think I will play around with the free software first then and use the tutorials or get myself one of the books previously suggested on this website.

The transformation of the picture is AMAZING! It certainly has inspired me to learn! How long did that take you to do? I'd love to be able to do that.....watch this space!

Thanks again
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-22-2008, 12:59 PM

Thumbs up Re: Old picture

Here's another quickee version for you. Took about 15 minutes.
The advise you've gotten so far is excellent. Go for it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Quikee2.jpg (71.3 KB, 52 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-22-2008, 11:37 PM

nice job, OB!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration