Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

how do I repair curling photo's

Old 01-05-2010, 01:17 PM
Re: repairing curling photos

Originally Posted by hwh View Post
The suggestion was made to dry the photos that have had moisture added to them, keeping them flat.
What is the best way to do that so as not to harm the surface of the photo?
IF they are glossy, dry them on some kind of ferrotype plate if you want to keep them glossy.

If they can become matte finish, then use a photo blotting paper (I can only assume that they still make it!). This kind of paper does not give off any kind of fibers that might stick to the surface of your photo. If you cannot find this, try hanging them from something like a clothes line, do not forget to put some clothes pins on the bottom to try to keep them from curling. If they curl anyway, lay the wet print on a flat surface, make sure it is blotted dry, then place some kind of heavy stuff around the boarders, again so it will not curl when it dries. Let it dry slowly, this tends to minimize the curling.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-29-2012, 07:25 AM
Re: how do I repair curling photo's

I have Aerial Reconaissance photos from World War I France. Taken by the American Expeditionary Force, I think.
They have curled and cracked having dryed in an attic for 80 years. The past 15 years they have been stored in a temperate area.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration