Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Yellow / Orange spots

Old 10-27-2008, 08:34 PM

Re: Yellow / Orange spots

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarbees View Post
I decided to fix the spots with channels and then add the color back in. I saved the original color information in a different file and then added that back in as a layer set to color. This brought the orange back but it was easy to paint out the orange with the correct color. Then I addressed noise with Neat image and healing for the bigger spots that were left----
Very nice job! How long did the whole thing take? I would like a little more detail on the recolor part when you have time.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-27-2008, 11:04 PM

re-did the color balance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sisters_4-1-k-1j-rp.jpg (192.9 KB, 30 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-29-2008, 11:56 AM

I guess I spent about an hour on this between phone calls and other distractions. If you set about it you can probably do it in less than an hour.
The color correction is just the paintbrush set to color. Were ever you find the offending orangy color just sample next to it and brush over the spot. the values should already be right with corrected channels. When I did this I just sampled the correct color in the dresser for instance and then just (loosely) painted the whole dresser that color. Then the same for the curtains and other cabinet. But this makes for fairly flat color. If you want to keep it close to the same color as the original with the variation and depth that goes with it--you'll have to sample alot more often than I did which would increase the time spent. But if this color looks acceptable then it shouldn't take any longer than an hour.
Let me know if you have any questions.
Sandi
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-29-2008, 12:12 PM

I left out the first part: adding the original color information back in after correcting with channels. I corrected as much as I could with a channel mixer set to monochromatic. I was left with black and white image but I had saved the original image as another file --after I finished the channels corrections I opened that other file and copied it into my corrected image as another layer set to color. As I said this brought the orange back but now instead of a damaged spot which needed to be cloned or healed out it was just a color issue. The color correction with the paint brush made the spot completely disappear. You can't correct the spots this way unless you do the channels correction first. If you use the paint brush with out the first step the spot with still be there--it just won't be orange.

This color correction was just for the orange spots. To correct the overall color---so that the skin tones and hair color was better I just did a color balance layer. If you look at Chillin's version, the colors aren't as flat as mine. And It looks like I went a little too yellow on the skin tones looking at it again. That always happens--
;+}

Last edited by swarbees; 10-29-2008 at 12:21 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-29-2008, 04:05 PM
Patron

Hey this is going to help me relearn calculations. Thanks for your input Lawmans3, TommyO, Lurch and others. I tried that on the yellow channel in CYMK which also had marked contrast.

Another quick way for me using photoshop was to use a HSL adjustment layer and select reds 2 color of 39/69 degrees with the eyedropper. Then: Sat -56 and Lightness +81 corrected a lot of the problem and it was not even necessary to use a mask.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-14-2008, 02:30 AM

Here is my feeble first attempt,, any comments ?

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h2...isters_4_a.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-14-2008, 05:19 AM
Patron

Re: Yellow / Orange spots/Mytac

Well you did remove the spots all right. But there seemed to me to be a bluish tint to the photo. I increased the contrast and adjusted the color. Also when posting photos its better to upload the photos directly to retouch rather than post links to other servers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sisters.jpg (190.2 KB, 31 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration