RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Yellow / Orange spots

Old 10-26-2008, 04:34 PM

Yellow / Orange spots

This photo has a bunch of yellow/orange spots. I have been able to get a clean copy mixing the channels but i seem to lose the color. I'd like to hear what a good way to do it by keeping the color and not turning the photo into a b&w. Thanks!

http://i532.photobucket.com/albums/e.../sisters_4.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-26-2008, 05:31 PM

Re: Yellow / Orange spots

Here is one suggestion, as there are many methods.

When the spots are small like these, I tend to use a method involving three basic steps. ( I would use a different technique if the spot was larger.)
(a) sample the offending color using a single point sample;
(b) determine the opposite color values (those that negate it);
(c) apply an adjustment layer, invert the mask, then paint the spots out.
  • So, I sampled a representative pixel, yielding R:150, G:119, B:55.
  • I opened a Selective Color adjustment layer and entered the following values: Yellows> 0, 0, -100, 0; Reds>100, -100, -100, 0. This was done by both knowledge of the color values and by eye.
  • I inverted the mask (making it all black).
  • I then used a small, 50% hardness, 100% opacity brush, set to white, and painted on the mask. You can set it a smidge larger than the spot and just click each once or twice. Zoom in close, and just follow a pattern left to right around the image.

Again, a bit slower than some methods, but works great. Just lower the opacity on darker areas (hair), and use full opacity on similar areas (drawers).
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-26-2008, 05:47 PM

TommyO,

Thanks for the suggestion! I followed what you said except you lost me on selecting the color values. Is there an easy way to do this? If you select a portion of the orange color, how do you know what number to put in that will get rid of it. It would be really easy if you could just put in negative numbers and then it would be just the opposite but the value has to be 0 to 255.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-26-2008, 07:23 PM
Patron

Another method (Tommy did say there were many):

On examination of the channels, I saw that the yellow spots were pretty much absent in the red but very prominent in the blue. Used calculations to subtract the red (image detail) from the blue (image + spots), leaving mostly spots. Actually what I did was add the inverse of the red to the blue, fiddling with the offset and scale until I got a good image of black spots. Inverted that and applied a very steep curve to increase the contrast, yielding a spot mask.

Once that was done (and it was faster to do than to write about), it was easy to suppress all the spots in one swell foop. Command-clicked on the mask channel to load it as a selection, then added a hue/saturation adjustment layer, which automatically had the spot mask for a layer mask. Desaturated yellows and reds and adjusted lightness for each to make the spots disappear - almost. That left a little orange showing here and there, so I added another adjustment layer, selective color this time, and adjusted the components of the neutral tones just a bit to suppress those spots. The whole operation took about five minutes.

There's still color correction and touchup to do, of course.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sisters_4.jpg (190.2 KB, 120 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-26-2008, 08:19 PM

I think Lurch's method was great, just wish I had taken the time to look at the channels.

To answer your question, one easy way of remembering opposing colors is the RGB vs CMYK trick. RGB are additive primaries and CMY are subtractive. Hence, they are opposites.... in other words, Red is opposite Cyan, Green opposite Magenta, Blue opposite Yellow.

If you have a red color cast in an image, you can reduce Red or add Cyan... and so on.

So, in the Selective Color panel, it was easy to work with CMYK values as our target was mostly Yellow. Thus the first choice of targeting Yellows with 0, 0, -100, 0 (meaning reduce yellow value by -100% within yellows).

While looking at the chest of drawers, I also went to the Reds to reduce any yellow value (which is where I got the x, x, -100, x) value there). But, I also tweaks the C & M values by eye to see their effect, trying to match the nearest neighbors. So, the 100, -100, x, x were just a stab. This could vary depending on what part of the image your working on.

Again, it's often experimentation. Had I taken my time, maybe I would have seen Lurch's observation and saved a lot of time.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-26-2008, 08:40 PM

[QUOTE=lurch;210163]Another method (Tommy did say there were many):

On examination of the channels, I saw that the yellow spots were pretty much absent in the red but very prominent in the blue. Used calculations to subtract the red (image detail) from the blue (image + spots), leaving mostly spots. Actually what I did was add the inverse of the red to the blue, fiddling with the offset and scale until I got a good image of black spots. Inverted that and applied a very steep curve to increase the contrast, yielding a spot mask.

QUOTE]

I've never used the calculations to subract anything. I would imagine you have explained this before somewhere. Can you point me in the right direction? This looks like a great method to have in my bag of tricks.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-26-2008, 09:04 PM
Patron

Another of many ways..
copy background
levels
new layer.. color mode
select color next to spot to remove... paint spot with soft brush
Hue/Saturation layer remove greenish color
new layer with Shft+Ctrl+Alt+E to combine all layers into new
Ctrl+J copy layer
Polaroid dust and scratch remover.. ( black first.. hide all mask painted white over black spots)
Merge Down
Polaroid dust and scratch remover.. ( White.. hide all mask painted white over white spots)
Imagenomic Noiseware.. Remove noise and sharpen some (masked)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sisters_4A.jpg (193.5 KB, 91 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-26-2008, 11:41 PM

clone, color balance, hue/sat and a little push/smudge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sisters_4-1-k-1i-rp.jpg (189.4 KB, 57 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-27-2008, 12:58 AM

On some of the bigger spots selective colors + curves work OK. The small spots & scratches could be removed with the spot healing brush.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sisters_4_chillin1.jpg (167.1 KB, 49 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-27-2008, 09:18 AM

I decided to fix the spots with channels and then add the color back in. I saved the original color information in a different file and then added that back in as a layer set to color. This brought the orange back but it was easy to paint out the orange with the correct color. Then I addressed noise with Neat image and healing for the bigger spots that were left----
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sisters_4a copy.jpg (182.4 KB, 57 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration