Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

your critique on restoration please

Old 10-30-2008, 02:43 PM

Smile Re: your critique on restoration please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Jodi View Post
I believe you are almost there! The hair is maybe a little too perfect and cut out. I would like to see a few natural fly aways as in Bill's version. Very nice work though.
Ji Jodi,

Many thanks for your critiques and for your nice comment, it is very much appreciated, i agree the third version with new background look too cut out when i've looked at it again., this one is going to the bin lol. I will keep to the original background, I shall work again on the photo.

many thanks

regards

helen
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-30-2008, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonny7 View Post
Helen,
Looks good to me. I agree, try to retain the soft edge of the hair. It makes a big difference in the final proof. I like how Bill made the background more separate and added more contrast to her face. Nice job so far.
Hi Sonny7,

Many thanks for your critiques and for your nice comment on my work, it is very much appreciated, I too like Bill's version and his background is lovely, i don't think i can achieve this, so i will keep to the original background and work on the photo again.

many thanks

regards

helen
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-30-2008, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin View Post
hi helen,

the middle one is the better of your two restores. the one on the right has lost some detail in the face and the rose in her cheeks. it's too flat. the hair is also better in the middle one. and, if you're going to change the background, like in the last one, you have to do a bit of blending with the foreground object, in this case, the hair. if you make it too much cut and dry of foreground ends and background starts, it just doesnt look like a photo; it will look pasted in. so, soften the edges of the foreground where it meets the background or even do a little bleeding of the two together, like with a light, small smudge.

and, like someone else said, it (the middle one) is a bit pale, but in looking at the original, there wasnt much tone variation to begin with, so the paleness becomes an option you can ignore or play with. myself, i tend to like to add just a bit more shadow or color variation for a bit more definition and depth of features, but there's also nothing wrong in leaving it like you did, too, since like i said, the original is lacking tone.

i think i can see where you got the notion that the background was originally green, but if you look at the bottom of the orignal, you'll see green there, too. so, i dont think green was the original color. based mostly on her hair color and skin, i'd say the background was probably a light brown or brown-red or even a red-brown, but mid to light in shade.
Hi Kraellin,

Many thanks for your critique and nice comments, it is very much appreciated. I too prefer the middle version, I want to keep to the original background as much as possible, I thank you also for spotting the real colour of the background, I don't know why I thought it was green, when one is not a Pro is easy to make mistakes lol, you guys are brilliant for spotty minor details. The photo wasn't an easy one to work with , i chose it as a challenge to myself, the original looked a bit washed out, i've actually desaturate the photo and colourized it from Black and white, mucked about with curves and levels, i did try to get some details back from the original, but it wasn't working, so i just desaturate and start from there.

i will work on the photo and will post it for more critiques.

many thanks

regards

helen
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-30-2008, 09:49 PM

Re: your critique on restoration please

hi helen,

you're welcome. i hope any of that helped.

i was trying some things on your image and found one thing i'd like to pass along regarding your middle image. make a color balance adjustment layer over all your other layers and set it on shadows. then, move the red slider up a few notches and notice the difference on your middle image. i think you might like it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-31-2008, 05:03 AM

Thumbs up Re: your critique on restoration please

Hi All,

I've had another go with this photo, nothing final just changed the background and put some colours in the lady's face, there are little bits need doing here and there, I would like to get the background all the same colour, there seems to be a line with different colour tone lighter and darker on her left shoulder, is there a way to get rid of it.

But I Would love your critiques please, many thanks.

regards

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3239/...b992191d_o.jpg

helen
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-31-2008, 01:33 PM
Patron

Re: your critique on restoration please

Helen, Sometimes people asking for help, that link to an outside site, wind up deleting the image after they have the answer they were looking for. Since those links are now broken, that makes the forum thread essentially useless for future readers.

If you click the link in your first post you will discover why it is much better to attach images on this site. That way the image that is posted will be viewable forever.

After you post your less than 100K version here, you could also post a link to the site that is hosting your larger version at "Flickr' (as you did)...
Or use any of these other host options:
ImageVenue.com (3Meg max, free) or pixentral.com (2Meg max, free) or photobucket.com (1 Meg max free,... 5 Meg PRO)-- .

Attaching Files or Images to Threads or Posts

Size and quality for Attached Images!!

Last edited by 0lBaldy; 10-31-2008 at 01:47 PM. Reason: added info
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-01-2008, 09:14 AM

Thumbs up Re: your critique on restoration please

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0lBaldy View Post
Helen, Sometimes people asking for help, that link to an outside site, wind up deleting the image after they have the answer they were looking for. Since those links are now broken, that makes the forum thread essentially useless for future readers.

If you click the link in your first post you will discover why it is much better to attach images on this site. That way the image that is posted will be viewable forever.

After you post your less than 100K version here, you could also post a link to the site that is hosting your larger version at "Flickr' (as you did)...
Or use any of these other host options:
ImageVenue.com (3Meg max, free) or pixentral.com (2Meg max, free) or photobucket.com (1 Meg max free,... 5 Meg PRO)-- .

Attaching Files or Images to Threads or Posts

Size and quality for Attached Images!!
Hi OlBaldy,

Sorry I've put the photo back, i took the link away because i've put a new restored version for more critique, the original photo is now back.

many thanks

helen
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration