RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

your critique on restoration please

Old 10-29-2008, 03:51 AM

Arrow your critique on restoration please

Hello All,

Please can someone critique on this restoration, the middle and the right is the restored version, I am not happy with it, but would be glad with an honest opinion even bad ones.

your feedback will be much appreciated.

thanks in advance guys.

regards

helen

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3018/...09ef9296_o.jpg

Last edited by sergio2263; 11-01-2008 at 09:15 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-29-2008, 06:17 AM

Re: your critique on restoration please

Hi,

I tried to get a little more detail in the face and also by darkening the background.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2974167884_505ed583bd_oedit.jpg (37.5 KB, 99 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-29-2008, 08:35 AM

Helen,
I think it looks very representative of the images of that day. Her face is a bit pale, but sometimes that is how they were done. So, maybe it's just personal taste. I would like to see her face detail a bit more. It may take a little artistic touch to bring it out.
Otherwise, a good job and I'm sure it will make someone happy.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-29-2008, 10:39 AM

Thumbs up Re: your critique on restoration please

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillFrey View Post
Hi,

I tried to get a little more detail in the face and also by darkening the background.

Thanks very much Bill for your time and effort, it is much appreciated, your version looks better, I shall work a bit more on mine.

regards

helen
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-29-2008, 10:42 AM

Thumbs up Re: your critique on restoration please

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyO View Post
Helen,
I think it looks very representative of the images of that day. Her face is a bit pale, but sometimes that is how they were done. So, maybe it's just personal taste. I would like to see her face detail a bit more. It may take a little artistic touch to bring it out.
Otherwise, a good job and I'm sure it will make someone happy.
Hi TommyO,

many thanks for your reply much appreciated, she is quite a pale lady, well I went by the photo of her granddaughter she has very pale skin and very pale blonde hair, would you mind telling me what you mean by a little details perhaps a bit more saturation, the photo is a bit hard to work on, I've actually colourized it from black and white.

I shall work more on the photo as I am not happy with it.

many thank for your time and interest.

regards

helen
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-29-2008, 02:29 PM

Helen,
I looked real quick for a models face with similar lighting, but found none. So, here it is in writing. Again, you don't have to emphasize it much, just a little.
Just look at some similar photos, look around the nose, cheek bones, mouth and chin area for the subtle shadows. Use a very low opacity (3%) brush in color burn blending mode and lightly adjust those areas to taste.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-29-2008, 03:28 PM

I believe you are almost there! The hair is maybe a little too perfect and cut out. I would like to see a few natural fly aways as in Bill's version. Very nice work though.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-29-2008, 03:52 PM

Helen,
Looks good to me. I agree, try to retain the soft edge of the hair. It makes a big difference in the final proof. I like how Bill made the background more separate and added more contrast to her face. Nice job so far.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-29-2008, 09:47 PM

hi helen,

the middle one is the better of your two restores. the one on the right has lost some detail in the face and the rose in her cheeks. it's too flat. the hair is also better in the middle one. and, if you're going to change the background, like in the last one, you have to do a bit of blending with the foreground object, in this case, the hair. if you make it too much cut and dry of foreground ends and background starts, it just doesnt look like a photo; it will look pasted in. so, soften the edges of the foreground where it meets the background or even do a little bleeding of the two together, like with a light, small smudge.

and, like someone else said, it (the middle one) is a bit pale, but in looking at the original, there wasnt much tone variation to begin with, so the paleness becomes an option you can ignore or play with. myself, i tend to like to add just a bit more shadow or color variation for a bit more definition and depth of features, but there's also nothing wrong in leaving it like you did, too, since like i said, the original is lacking tone.

i think i can see where you got the notion that the background was originally green, but if you look at the bottom of the orignal, you'll see green there, too. so, i dont think green was the original color. based mostly on her hair color and skin, i'd say the background was probably a light brown or brown-red or even a red-brown, but mid to light in shade.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-30-2008, 02:40 PM

Smile Re: your critique on restoration please

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyO View Post
Helen,
I looked real quick for a models face with similar lighting, but found none. So, here it is in writing. Again, you don't have to emphasize it much, just a little.
Just look at some similar photos, look around the nose, cheek bones, mouth and chin area for the subtle shadows. Use a very low opacity (3%) brush in color burn blending mode and lightly adjust those areas to taste.

Hi TommyO,

Many thanks for the extra tips much appreciated. I am glad I put the photo here for second opinion because I knew something didn't look right and I'm very happy with all the feedback, I will work again on the photo.

many thanks

regards

helen
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration