RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Tough photo

Old 10-30-2008, 03:43 AM

Tough photo

Well, I'd call it tough! A client passed this to me yesterday and up until now I've dealt with simple clone, colour and tone restoration jobs but this one has me a little stumped. It would seem that parts of the pic have been developed as a negative whilst others as a positive. So, how do I go about changing the negative elements back? I had thought about making selections and using the channels to do it but that's as far as I have gone in my thought process.
I only need the tips so I can work on it since I have until this coming Monday to complete the job.
I think that the file here may be too small to see properly so if need be I'll put a larger size file up someplace you can all can see.

regards
Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg toughie2.jpg (77.2 KB, 196 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-30-2008, 04:48 AM
Patron

Re: Tough photo

You may get better results by taking a picture of the photo with a digital camera. If you are careful to light the photo so that none of the negative parts show you will see past the reflections. Use a sturdy tripod in a darkened room, make sure the camera lens is on the same plane as the photo and centered, have the copy lights starting at the normal 45 degrees and move them till you get a good image.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-30-2008, 05:33 AM

Thanks for the reply.
Perhaps I should have added that the pic is scanned as is. Taking a photo of it won't remove the blemish on the faces or elsewhere.
My scanner allows for scanning in negatives and then in CS3 it's opened up as a positive image, a little bit of work and away I go :-)
I had thought about fooling it into thinking it was a negative to begin with and then merging the elements into one photo so it all comes out good. But no dice with that one so far.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-30-2008, 11:33 AM
Patron

Not trying to change a blemish.. just trying to change the negative looking parts into positive parts.. The reflections I referred to might be silvering..(which is better photographed rather than scanned).. if you hold the photo at an angle and look at it from the side, can you see a picture instead of negative?.. if so, then the above method might work to get a good copy.. also a flat black backing on the picture might help. Just some weird thoughts going through my head.. Nothing ventured.. nothing gained..

Hope some others here can come up with a workable resolution for you..

Good Luck!
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-30-2008, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveyB View Post
Well, I'd call it tough! A client passed this to me yesterday and up until now I've dealt with simple clone, colour and tone restoration jobs but this one has me a little stumped. It would seem that parts of the pic have been developed as a negative whilst others as a positive. So, how do I go about changing the negative elements back? I had thought about making selections and using the channels to do it but that's as far as I have gone in my thought process.
I only need the tips so I can work on it since I have until this coming Monday to complete the job.
I think that the file here may be too small to see properly so if need be I'll put a larger size file up someplace you can all can see.

regards
Steve

Hi Steve,

I wish you luck with this photo, i've looked at it, it doesn't seems to be a very old photo, the boy on the far left his face look good but the rest you have a very tough job on your hands.

all the best

helen
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-30-2008, 06:05 PM

Doesn't appear to have any elements of a "negative" to me. Water or heat damage only. The damaged areas will require rebuilding. Monday could be very slow coming.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-30-2008, 09:06 PM

i have to agree with tommyo. there arent any true negative parts here. something happened to this photo either during developing or after. i'm also tempted to say heat damage, but i've never seen such selective damage like this unless it was deliberate.

at any rate, do your scan over and do it in 8 bit rgb rather than greyscale. sometimes you can get some differing data on the channels which can help sort things out.

also, i like olbaldy's suggestion of looking at it from the side. i'd add one thing to that, use a bright light at angles when you do that and see if you cant see the original images, unmarred in there somewhere.

but, like tommyo said, rebuilding is the only way, based on what you've posted so far, that this can be fixed, and even then, i wouldnt hold out for anything spectacular. it's going to be a rough ride.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-31-2008, 10:46 AM

Good points by everyone.

I'd add that if you scan in color, one or more of the channels might reveal less damage. Be sure to look at all the channels, CMYK, RGB and LAB.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration