RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

How to proceed?

Old 11-12-2008, 03:23 PM
Patron

How to proceed?

Take a look at the attached 100 year-old photo. I've cloned and healed the tear as well as I'm able and desaturated the yellows by -50 saturation, +100 lightness. This seemed to work better for me than either Channel Mixer or Black & White.

What can be done to make the girls stand out relative to the background? When I try to push it with Curves it seems to get worse, not better. Suggestions? Comments?

Thanks in advance!

Curtis
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2008_1015-12.jpg (184.3 KB, 152 views)
File Type: jpg 2008_1015-12 repair.jpg (188.7 KB, 150 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-12-2008, 03:38 PM

Re: How to proceed?

Curtis
Create a selection of the girls and apply your adjustments to that. This should separate them from the background. Watch the small damage in the smallest girls face.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-12-2008, 08:25 PM

I'm not seeing any magical way to reveal any more than you have already. I did prefer the blue channel over the others. However, there does not seem to be much detail left in their dresses. So, it may end up being some creative/artistic reconstruction of those areas work best. It may have been that the original image was a little over exposed also.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2008, 04:29 AM
Patron

Sonny7,

I tried selecting the girls and isolating the work there but reached the same conclusion that TommyO did -- there's not much there to work with.

TommyO,

I agree that the blue channel has more information or at least different information. I just don't see a path to improving the photo from what I already have. Frustrating!

Many thanks to both of you for the input. This forum provides great support for rookies like me!

Curtis
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2008, 04:46 PM

I tried to extract some info from luminosity channel in LAB mode. I duplicated the L channel and set blending mode to Color burn. Then curves layer (S curve), and finally - channel mixer layer.

But it seems that there is almost no information which could be extracted
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2008_1015-12_pic.jpg (71.8 KB, 59 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2008, 07:50 PM

without looking at any preceeding comments, it looks to me as if you've over-lightened the people, particularly their clothing. i grant you, it was already missing detail and pretty bland, so, you have to do something with that. just lightening it only lightens the flaws that already exist. you have to fix and tone. add some texture with an airbrush or clone, or maybe just add some shadows or folds... something. some folks around here even go out and find clothing they can cut and paste in. i dont necessarily recommend doing that in most cases, but this one seems like the clothing is pretty much shot in the main. so, feel free

also, it looks like some clean up could be done around the legs and feet.

Last edited by Craig Walters; 06-02-2010 at 09:38 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-30-2010, 01:41 PM

try drawing in the girl first, focus and contrast worked for this
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2008_1015-12_pchj copy.jpg (89.5 KB, 52 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-03-2010, 11:49 PM

tough one. you could spend a lot of time on this and still be a bit disappointed. Florin's technique might work better on one like this, but it's also quite time consuming.

i started with fade correction and clarify (tone mapping in x3). after that it was mostly clone, airbrush and push on separate blank layers. but, i did do something in this one i dont normally do. i used warp brush on the little girl on the right. it appeared to me that the taped parts werent quite put back together right on that side, so i used warp brush to correct for this. i also had to do a bit of reconstruction on that part, mostly with clone from other parts of the image.

one thing to watch for in images like this is overdoing the faces. this is very easy to do and your image will end up looking all pasty-face. so, it's sometimes a good idea to leave a little of the dirt/noise, etc to make the faces look a little more natural. you can also clone in texture to these parts, if needed. i also like to make a layer that is a composite of all the other layers using copy merge and paste to new layer. i then turn off all other layers but the original and this layer. i then turn the opacity down on the top layer to let the original show through. this can work for you several ways: you can use it to test how close you are to the original image, you can actually use a combination of these two layers as a new layer, giving you some of the grain of the old, plus all of your work in the new, and you can also mix this with blend modes to check quality and even use the two layers this way to make a new.

it's very easy to get discouraged on images like this. they can be tough. so, be realistic in what you can accomplish and set your sites accordingly. all restorations dont have to be like you're working on restoring the mona lisa. time is a part of all restoration equations. be realistic there, too, especially if you're doing this for a client.

anyways, here's my piece. it could be better, but i've spent enough time on it now, so tough nouggies
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2008_1015-12-1-k-1d-rp.jpg (194.7 KB, 61 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-05-2010, 09:54 AM

My try of the 3 children.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3-kids.jpg (97.7 KB, 44 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-07-2010, 07:51 PM

its rough to work with, but both of you did much better than I did!!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration