RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Bringing it back to life

Old 11-15-2008, 12:34 PM

Bringing it back to life

I am brand new to this forum. I was recommended here from another forum! Anyway... I can do minor repairs but bringing these old pics back to life still eludes me. I can fix the blemishes but here is an example. What can I do to add detail and bring this one back? I know nothing about channels in PS if that is an area I would need to work in. Thanks for the help.
Hope I attached correctly
Attached Images
File Type: jpg web.jpg (67.9 KB, 120 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2008, 10:21 PM

Re: Bringing it back to life

hi rem49, and welcome to RP.

first off, a larger image would be helpful if you have one. when you get this small it becomes harder to alter and fix due to how much one pixel is proportionally using up in the image. the more pixels, the greater the detail and the easier to make small fixes without them being obvious.

it's not real bad, though, so i had a go with it. my steps were a brightness/contrast adjustment layer, copy merge and paste as new layer, fade correction, and digital camera noise removal. after that it was all 'push' on a new blank layer. 'push' is pretty much, in psp, the same thing as a heavy smudge in photoshop.

circled in blue is where the other hand shld be. seems to have been damaged. you can rebuild this by drawing it in or finding a similar body part in another image and cutting and pasting it in. the dress could use some of that, also.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg web-1-k-1a-rp.jpg (87.8 KB, 68 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-18-2008, 07:57 AM

thank you for the response. I am amazed! That is awesome work. I had just put a low res photo on it for people to see what I was talking about. I understood the brightness/contrast layer but after that I was pretty much lost. Any recommendations as to a good way of learning PS (books??). I really need an education in this stuff. What is PSP?
Thanks again for your help.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-18-2008, 09:52 PM

psp is paint shop pro, a 'poor man's' version of photoshop psp has its roots in shareware, true shareware, not what they call shareware today. true shareware was you got the program and somewhere along the line you were supposed to pay for it if you continued to use it. so, it was sort of an honor system. today, shareware tends to mean we'll let you try it for 30 days and then we cut you off unless you pay. there was no cut off with true shareware.

i started using psp at about version 4.12 when it was still shareware. somewhere along about version 7 i realized i was using it quite a bit now and hadnt ever purchased a license, so i finally did and i've been buying roughly every other version since.

it's a great program, costs about 1/5 of what photoshop costs, is much easier to learn, has a good, firm user base, a good main stream company producing it now, corel and is mostly all i use for restorations. it covers the basics nicely and has a few tools that photoshop doesnt have. the drawbacks are... it's not photoshop. photoshop is the cadillac. paint shop pro is the ford or chevy.

and thank you for the compliment

ah, the terminology. yes, that can be a bit daunting. an adjustment layer is a layer that does adjustments. simple, right? hehe, ok, well, they really are just that. one such is the brightness/contrast adjustment layer. you can also do brightness/contrast without having it as its own layer. in that case, you simply apply it directly to another layer. there are other types of adjustment layers as well, but since you're just starting out, i wont try to confuse you with all those... yet.

i do hope you know what layers are. that will help a lot as i go along here.

copy merge is a tool where when you have a whole lot of layers stacked up on top of each other, copy merge will copy all of them and merge them all together, but only inside the clipboard. you then 'paste as new layer' to spit that all of the clipboard onto a new layer with everything merged nicely together in a new layer residing over all the previous ones.

'fade correction' is a handy little tool in psp only. it takes a faded image, which has lost a lot of contrast, and puts some contrast back into it, depending on how much you move the slider right or left. quite handy for some old images.

digital noise removal is also psp only, though photoshop has their own noise removal. 'noise' in this case, is extra specks and unwanted, small particle, well, 'noise'. it's like if you've ever turned your television onto a station with no picture but just static, you can see dots moving all over the screen. that's visual noise. therefore, a digital camera noise removal tool is one that gets rid of that noise, somewhat... or a whole lot of what. it removes the tiny specks, smooths them out and reduces the noise in an image.

and 'push' is a great little tool, also only in psp. push is a smudging type tool, only heavier. most smudge tools drag a little bit of an image around to give a smudged look. push drags more and drags it further. so, i can set (setting in this case is simply hitting the left mouse button once to activate the tool at that spot) the push brush along a border that is ragged and jagged, hold down the shift key, and move the mouse to the other end of the border, hit the mouse button to paint with the push brush, and the push brush will automatically drag completely along that entire line and straighten it up, all in one stroke. handy little tool. it's also great for doing very minute work in tight spaces.

so, that's a start. ask tons of questions and dont be too afraid of displaying your own work. we dont bite too often around here.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration