RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

restoration questions

Old 11-28-2008, 08:05 PM

Re: restoration questions

you're doing fine. the trick to evening out skin tones and other tones, is to use a light opacity clone, like down around 30% or so. work from the dark side to the lighter or from the filled area to the missing area, if that's the case. do small bits at a time and blend them in as you go. work from more than one starting point to keep from getting that overlapping clone look.

you can also use the airbrush tool to blend. pick a tone or shade between the two areas you want to blend and set your opacity VERY light, like 3% or less and set the density down also. use many sweeps, overlapping your strokes. dont try to do it all at once.

smudge will also work, but i dont like it as much for what you have to do here. it tends to leave a pasty look very quickly, even at light opacities.

oh, and you dont really need psp x2 (version 12) for what you have to do here. still, four versions between upgrades... good time to upgrade.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-28-2008, 08:31 PM

Smile Re: restoration questions

Thanks Hawkeye and Kraellin! I am definitely going to have to read the section about layers because I don't understand the concept at all. I very much appreciate the hints, and I will post back with my results.
Cheers!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-28-2008, 08:35 PM

Layers would be like laying a piece of glass, or many pieces, over a photo. You can draw on the glass without effecting the original picture below. If you make a mistake you throw away the glass (layer).
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-28-2008, 08:47 PM
Patron

This is where your artistic skills come into play (I have none at all!) After resizing the original to fit your WIP (Work In Progress) I cloned the original arm onto your WIP to see where the sleeve went and the general direction of the arm then faked it from there, just using the clone tool..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg abuelainprogress7_web.jpg (196.8 KB, 34 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-28-2008, 11:02 PM

I guess I need to work on my artistic skills then, for sure! I think the arm I did is WAAYYYY too big. I think I got in a hurry. Wish I had done the layer thing first. Bet you I will from now on! Thanks, guys! I really appreciate the help. This woman is the grandmother of a friend of mine. This is the only picture of the woman that her parents were able to leave Cuba with back in the 60's. I really want to make it nice for her and her mom.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-29-2008, 11:13 AM

Thanks for beating me to a pulp on my first try. I had no intention of "hijacking" anything. I couldn't find the place to start a new thread that's why I posted where I did. I will go back and learn the forum a little better before I post next time. My fault!! I hope this turns out to be a friendly forum where a novice can learn new things without first attempts turning into a fist fight.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-29-2008, 11:34 AM
Patron

Andyru, sorry if you felt it was a beating.. it was only meant to be informative... the proper forum is here (click here) ... scroll to the bottom and start a thread asking for help.

The other information was also meant to help you get help... IE: A larger image will be a great advantage.. The following links may help!

Attaching Files or Images to Threads or Posts

Size and quality for Attached Images!!

After you post your less than 100K version here, you could also post a link to the site that is hosting a larger version Use one of your own or any of these other host options:
Flickr.com (5Meg max free) or ImageVenue.com (3Meg max, free) or pixentral.com (2Meg max, free) or photobucket.com (1 Meg max free,... 5 Meg PRO)-- .

If you took offense to me trying to help you do things right... Sorry 'Bout that!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration