RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

restoration questions

Old 11-24-2008, 10:12 PM

Question restoration questions

I believe I am following the do's and don'ts of this forum. If I transgress, I apologize. I hope to upload the untouched original as well as my progress so far. Primarily I am using the clone feature in PSP 8, and before I go too far down the wrong road, I would like some input. I have played with photos of this sort before, and when I printed them I saw my editing attempts come to vivid life, when I really couldn't see them PSP. I am a little concerned about the forehead....it really has seemed to lighten up, and I think it will look more and more strange as I continue. Any comments are much appreciated. Thank you.

NOTE....well, super keen. The photos are too large. I will upload to this thread as soon as I learn how to shrink the files. Geez, the things I don't know.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-24-2008, 10:20 PM
Patron

Re: restoration questions

Jeepgirl, welcome to RetouchPRO! Nice to have you aboard and hope you enjoy your time here. Look around, try different things, learn, share, exchange ideas and opinions... Most of all feel at home.

The following links may help!

Attaching Files or Images to Threads or Posts

Size and quality for Attached Images!

After you post your less than 100K version here, you could also post a link to the site that is hosting a larger version Use one of your own or any of these other host options:
Flickr.com (5Meg max free) or ImageVenue.com (3Meg max, free) or pixentral.com (2Meg max, free) or photobucket.com (1 Meg max free,... 5 Meg PRO)-- .
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-24-2008, 10:48 PM

Success at photobucket... I think. Thank you for your time.
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/i...inprogress.jpg

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/i...nprogress3.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-25-2008, 11:25 AM

While I can see the brightness difference you're speaking of, it is not that strong. I think once you get the repairs made, you can easily adjust the light/dark on a fresh layer. If it were blown out (or close to it) I'd say stop since it would not contain the texture you need. Of course, as you continue working to the left near the shadows, you will want to better match that shade (not so light). Also, you may actually lighten some other areas near the end to add a bit of natural light & direction.

Good image and be sure to post your progress.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-25-2008, 11:45 AM

The healing tool may give you a better result than the clone tool.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-25-2008, 12:24 PM

Healing tool? That's a new one. Going to check that out now. Thanks Hawkeye and Tommy!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-25-2008, 01:13 PM
Patron

Jeepgirl, to bad Paint Shop Pro 8 does not have the healing tool.. maybe this thread (primarily the second page) (all the posts here by "Kraellin") will help you with your project...
Your solution is also discussed in more detail in this thread. Look for all the posts here by "Kraellin"

Last edited by 0lBaldy; 11-25-2008 at 01:31 PM. Reason: changed and added some
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-25-2008, 03:56 PM

Thanks, will do! Definitely going to upgrade to the latest version of psp right away!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-28-2008, 07:40 PM

Oh gee, I need help. The arm is just not working out at all and I don't know how to even stuff out on her face. All previous help was and is greatly appreciated, and I could certainly use some more, as you can see. I can't wait to get my hands on PSP x2.

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/i...inprogress.jpg

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/i...nprogress7.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-28-2008, 08:02 PM

Maybe this will help some. I used the healing brush on the forehead. Then I added another layer and used a soft black brush, set the opacity at 14% and flow to 34% and painted over the forehead to even out the color. I also added a very small amount of noise (1.5%) to this layer. This was done quickly so it's not perfect but it should give you the idea.

Note: Always use layers for your repair work, that way if you mess up you can just delete the layer.

As far as the arm is concerned. You might consider using an arm from another photo to reconstruct it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ScreenShot001.jpg (53.5 KB, 38 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration