RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

out of my depth!

Old 12-17-2008, 07:05 AM

out of my depth!

Hi, what wonderful help you all are in here. I have just joined after scanning here for some time to get some ideas................. now I am really in need of some advice and help!!

I have attempted to add the colour back into a family photo and as a beginner, I have not been very successful! Some step-by-step on getting this fixed would be fantastic.

I only have PS Elements 5.0...... and am really just learning through experimentation on my own!

Appreciate any assistance that I can get.

Cheers Fay
Attached Images
File Type: jpg our family restore.jpg (42.3 KB, 160 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-17-2008, 08:00 AM

Re: out of my depth!

Hi, Fay! Welcome to RetouchPro! Explore and Enjoy!

Your sample image is quite small, but it appears to have a lot of paper texture picked up in the scan. Did you turn on "Descreen" in your scanning software when you scanned it?
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-17-2008, 10:48 AM

Beyond my skills!

Hi Everyone,

I have a restoration problem. A friend came to me with an WWII vintage B&W image needing restoration that is far beyond my skill set. I'm wondering if anyone is willing to take a swing at it. It's a Christmas gift so there's not much time. Hope someone can help! e-mail me for hi-res.

Thanks!

Steve Marsel

www.stevemarselstudio.com
steve@stevemarselstudio.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HOTEL-LAS-BRISAS-PHOTO.jpg (76.0 KB, 79 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-17-2008, 01:49 PM

I ran out of time, and have to go out. But it is possible to improve it vastly. A lot of careful cloning, cutting and pasting, and painting. All on separate layers of course. You might even try bringing in elements of other photos if you have them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HOTEL-LAS-BRISAS-PHOTOcopy.jpg (95.5 KB, 54 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-17-2008, 02:22 PM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by FayMargaret View Post
Hi, what wonderful help you all are in here. I have just joined after scanning here for some time to get some ideas................. now I am really in need of some advice and help!!

I have attempted to add the colour back into a family photo and as a beginner, I have not been very successful! Some step-by-step on getting this fixed would be fantastic.

I only have PS Elements 5.0...... and am really just learning through experimentation on my own!

Appreciate any assistance that I can get.

Cheers Fay
Fay, ** Welcome to RetouchPRO!**

Your samples seem very small!

The following links may help!

Attaching Files or Images to Threads or Posts

Size and quality for Attached Images!

After you post your less than 100K version here, you could also post a link to the site that is hosting a larger version Use one of your own or any of these other host options:
ImageVenue.com (3Meg max, free) or pixentral.com (2Meg max, free) or photobucket.com (1 Meg max free,... 5 Meg PRO) or Flickr.com (Reduces large pics to 1024 Pxls long side, Free).
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-17-2008, 04:22 PM

Okay, I thought the photo may be resized too small. I will go back and look at all of the helpful advice and then if I am still struggling....... I will come back and try again.

Swampy - the original scan, which is very faded, didn't have the texture at all, this has only happened in my attempt to recolour and I didn't add texture to it at all!!

Cheers Fay
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-17-2008, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye60 View Post
I ran out of time, and have to go out. But it is possible to improve it vastly. A lot of careful cloning, cutting and pasting, and painting. All on separate layers of course. You might even try bringing in elements of other photos if you have them.
Hi Hawkeye,

Very impressive, you got much further than I did! There's nothing to say that I couldn't crop it at the edge of the table as well! The arm however is problematic.....

Thanks!

Steve
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-17-2008, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarsel View Post
Hi Hawkeye,

Very impressive, you got much further than I did! There's nothing to say that I couldn't crop it at the edge of the table as well! The arm however is problematic.....

Thanks!

Steve
Like I said you could look for another photo to clone off of, or even take a new photo of a woman's arm in roughly the same position and use it for the repair.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-17-2008, 05:28 PM

Hi again,

I have gone back to the initial scanned pic to see if I can get some help as to where it all went wrong with the colouring!!

http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/mem...ur-family1.jpg

Cheers Fay
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-17-2008, 07:08 PM

Fay,
You may be able to save the colorization layers and apply them to a new background layer. The latest image you provided just does not look right, and I wonder what may have happened during the scanning. It is possible you scanned in black & white and then converted to RGB ? A scan in color would yield more recoverable detail and possibly eliminate the pattern.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration