RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Need advice on a crackled picture

Old 12-28-2008, 09:38 PM

Re: Need advice on a crackled picture

Very impressive Craig. I gave up after 2 tries.
Nan
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-28-2008, 09:39 PM

thanks, nan

if it wasnt for paint shop pro's pretty impressive 'digital camera noise removal' tool, i'd still be working on it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-28-2008, 09:47 PM

I DID try psp's digital camera noise removal (and a lot of other things) but still didn't get it right. I must not have used the right settings. You did good.
Nan
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-29-2008, 09:17 AM

Talking Re: Need advice on a crackled picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin View Post
my first step was to blend your two samples together. i liked aspects of both so i blended them together using a soft light.

after that, i decided to try mistermonday's suggestion of a noise filter and use psp's digital camera noise removal. this got rid of a lot of it, but i also tried byRo's suggestion of using a median filter. this got rid of even more and still left enough of the original detail to work with.

after that it was a smudging and cloning and some hue/sat to bring the colors back around.

as you can see from my after/before image, this photo can be restored quite nicely with the exception of the blown out blacks near the bottom (unless you want to paint), but they are only incedental to the whole, so no worries there.
All I can say is WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Im going to try to get mine to that!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-29-2008, 09:59 AM
Patron

Craig, excellent job!
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-30-2008, 12:32 AM

thanks, nan. if i remember, the settings were around 90/70/60 on the small, medium, large and the lower settings were around 80(?) and only a 10% on sharpness. that's fairly close, i think, but probably not spot on.

the median settings were around 5, i think.

i also used a fairly light 'clarify' somewhere in there, once i had the cracking removed and most of the smudging done. i tend to use that near the end of any piece to give a bit more contrast.

oh, and i also used a bit of airbrush in there during the smudge/clone stage.

thanks, tawnidilly

thanks, murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-01-2009, 01:29 PM

Quote:
my first step was to blend your two samples together. i liked aspects of both so i blended them together using a soft light.

after that, i decided to try mistermonday's suggestion of a noise filter and use psp's digital camera noise removal. this got rid of a lot of it, but i also tried byRo's suggestion of using a median filter. this got rid of even more and still left enough of the original detail to work with.

after that it was a smudging and cloning and some hue/sat to bring the colors back around.

as you can see from my after/before image, this photo can be restored quite nicely with the exception of the blown out blacks near the bottom (unless you want to paint), but they are only incedental to the whole, so no worries there.
HI Kraellin,
Thank you so much for the beautiful work on my picture. I have tried and have not even come close to what you achieved! Could you maybe give me a slower step by step ( kind of, I know it can be lengthy) My first question is you said you "blended" the 2 samples. How did you do that? I have the cloning and hue/sat thing down as well as the noise removal and median filter.
I just can't seem to bring the true skin tones out. I have not used the smudge option and am not familiar with its actions.
Thanks for any advice!
Tawnidilly
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-01-2009, 09:13 PM

'blending' in this case means taking the image from one layer and blending it with the image from another layer using one of the 'blend modes'. blend modes are simply different ways of combining two or more images or of borrowing parts of one into another.

what i did to blend your two samples was, in paint shop pro, i opened both images and then did a control c (to copy the image into the clipboard) and then highlighted the other image and did a control L, to paste that copied image into another layer over the other.

attached is a screenshot of all this.

what program are you using, tawn?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tawnidilly-layers-blend-1-k-1.jpg (193.3 KB, 27 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-01-2009, 11:27 PM

Quote:
'blending' in this case means taking the image from one layer and blending it with the image from another layer using one of the 'blend modes'. blend modes are simply different ways of combining two or more images or of borrowing parts of one into another.

what i did to blend your two samples was, in paint shop pro, i opened both images and then did a control c (to copy the image into the clipboard) and then highlighted the other image and did a control L, to paste that copied image into another layer over the other.

attached is a screenshot of all this.

what program are you using, tawn?
Thank you for the example and explaination.
I use photoshop elements 4.0, 5.0, photoshop 7.0 and paintshop pro photox2Most of my restoring is done with 7.0.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-02-2009, 11:35 PM

ok, good. you'll find blend modes in all of those programs. i tend to use paint shop pro mostly due to the simplicity of use. you might find the same.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration